Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8724 topics in this forum

• 9 replies
  1. The Eagle Square Knot

• 2 replies
  2. Mafikeng WHO ARE THEY?????

• 4 replies
    • 52 replies
  3. New Merit Badges - Again

• 21 replies
  4. First Aid Meet Scenarios

• 0 replies
  5. Happy Birthday BSA

• 1 reply
    • 12 replies
  6. Campfire Poems

• 16 replies
  7. Ready for Boy Scouts

• 14 replies
    • 30 replies
    • 7 replies
  8. Cooking Merit Badge

• 2 replies
  9. Camping merit badge

• 0 replies
    • 2 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• I’d never heard of charging to attend a B&G, to be honest. My experience has always been a giant potluck in a donated hall with donated placemats; dens do centerpieces and nut/mint cups; pack covers plates, cups, utensils, and napkins. Making it a moneymaker would leave a bad taste in my mouth, frankly. If you need to charge, cover your costs and leave it at that.
    • This is MY rank order... The Ideals The patrol method The outdoors Leadership development  Personal growth Association with adults Advancement The uniform
    • As it happens, my home council, Heart of America, appears to be one of the first out of the starting blocks with Arrow women. Tamegonit #147 held a special winter induction  
    • What's a common/reasonable fee to charge parents, scouts, and siblings to attend the Blue & Gold dinner? I think my Pack is on the expensive end, but before I mention what we're charging I want to get some unbiased opinions.  Let me know what your Pack charges/charged and what you think is reasonable. 
    • Yes, I have contacted the relevant people in the district and Council specific to the policy update. Their usual response is nothing, and I assume that it is because they know I am part of the "hot-potato" issue with a troop in their district and they don't want to be near it. It is fair to be concerned that someone like me is seeking attention on a wide policy issue in order to get ahead on a small local conflict. I presented my argument to the Council (council executive) that BSA Youth Protection policy clearly states that reporting process should reflect community standard  (i.e. local and state laws). In California where I live, all reporting must be handled confidentially and without duress to the reporter. If reporter conducted him/herself improperly or with malice, that must be handled separately and away from the safety issue of the protected party/child. I believe all 50 states have non-retaliation language in their reporting procedures. If so, then why not BSA? You can't underestimate the value of a policy in a hand of a parent like me when we talk to a leader. They do back down and comply when they are not aware that certain policy exists. This language needs to be in YPT.    
  • Who's Online (See full list)