Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

8679 topics in this forum

1. A scout is trustworthy?

• 20 replies
  2. Recruiting Webelos

• 5 replies
  3. Great Troop Traditions

• 24 replies
    • 12 replies
  4. Troop/Patrol Activites

• 3 replies
  5. Webelos last few months

• 8 replies
  6. ASPL takeover

• 9 replies
  7. Merit badge questions

• 15 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  8. A new scout book

• 1 reply
    • 15 replies
  9. Was poking about

• 6 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• CBS Sunday Morning, two former boy scouts who shared the same pup tent.  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alan-simpson-norman-mineta-friendship-born-out-of-japanese-american-internment-camp/  
    • I'm gonna bet nope One of our ASM's had a daughter in GS.  She was about 12 or 13 at the time, he was getting her at an event and to say he was not welcomed would be an understatement.  Now he is an Eagle Scout from back in the day, long term leader, nicest guy, just there to get his kid and say hey.  Other leaders / dads with daughters have also said they were not welcome at all at GSUSA functions.  God forbid they try to camp with them
    • I wonder if the fathers will continue to be treated as second class leaders like they are today? I've heard the stories of how friends with daughters have been treated by GSUSA, and do not like it one bit. If ladies in the BSA were treated like my friends were, there would be lawsuits.
    • I was quite surprised to see that quote.  I can definitely see the struggle here.  I do know that in our local GSUSA has several very good outdoor camps.  Some of our local Girl Scout troops are as outdoor focused as Boy Scout troops.  My daughters both started attending an outdoor focused week long away summer camp before my son did.  In fact, I think my daughters have continue along in Scouting longer than my son because the have both had very good summer camp experiences.  
    • Interesting article.  It does sound like the national level leadership has given up on "past notions of 'outdoorsmanship,'" but that the question of outdoorsmanship in Girl Scouts is still a matter of internal hand-wringing at the local level.  The article also includes the following: "Local Girl Scout leaders also complain that implicit in the Boy Scouts' recruitment promises of high outdoor adventure is the suggestion that their program lacks access to those activities. "[Lidia Soto-Harmon, chief executive of the Girl Scouts Council of the Nations's Capital] points out that [her council], the largest council in the country, owns eight camping facilities in the area, spanning more than a thousand acres of land, where girls can practice archery, canoeing, kayaking, climbing and more. "Yet the extent to which girls take advantage of all of those outdoor opportunities depends a lot on the troop, leaders admit."
  • Who's Online (See full list)