Just got a Facebook update from the BSA Volunteer Training Team.

"New Scoutmaster Position-Specific Training - A new instructor's guide for trainers leading Scoutmaster Position-Specific Training has been released. The course is intended to provide Scoutmasters with the basic information and tools they need to lead successful Boy Scout troops. Scoutmasters and assistant Scoutmasters who complete this course, "Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills" (S11), and "Youth Protection Training" (Y01) are considered "trained" for those positions. There is no change to the My.Scouting Tools code (S24) for the course and while "trained" Scoutmasters are encouraged to attend this new course, those who have completed previous versions of Boy Scout leader basic or specific training are still considered "trained" as Scoutmasters. Contact Scouting U (ScoutingU@Scouting.org) or 972-580-2000 for more information."

www.Scouting.org/training/adult

Yes, and the section on the Patrol Method actually talks about the Patrol Method (-:

But, based on the final draft at least, it omits an explanation of what the Patrol Method is. ))-;

I had hoped. 0____0

If you don;t hope much you are less likely to be disappointed.

Yes, and the section on the Patrol Method actually talks about the Patrol Method (-:

But, based on the final draft at least, it omits an explanation of what the Patrol Method is. ))-;

I had hoped. 0____0

If you don;t hope much you are less likely to be disappointed.

If those of us who are tasked with teaching this course don't know how to explain the patrol method, we probably should be taken out behind the shed and shot repeatedly. I know when the district calls me and says it's my turn to help teach the course, I will beat on the patrol method drum like there's no tomorrow.

Accepting what you say as true, is it not strange that the official syllabus for the course fails to answer the question, "What is the Patrol Method"? Isn't that where to start a session aimed at new Scouters and titled "The Patrol Method"? Especially so given that only a minority of troops are using TPM?