Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also was in a "hiking and camping" troop, and earned eagle in '76. Thinking back on the 25 or so eagles from different troops I knew pretty well back then, I would say it was a 50-50 mix. One couldnt light a fire with a whole box of kitchen matches,one could light one with his scout knife, a lump of quartz,and some cattail fluff. It just depended on how well you needed to know a skill before you were signed off. In my troop for example it was not enough to tell my PL how to sharpen an ax. He showed me how, then handed me the dullest one I had ever seen and told me to bring it back when I thought it was sharp. It took me 2 hours and three tries, but I never forgot how. He did this with almost everything. I was angry with him at the time, but when I was a PL and had to teach those very same skills I blessed him for it.
    Other troops all you needed to do was listen to some summer camp CIT mumble about it.
    I see pretty much the same today. Except I think the ratio is sadly 70-30 in terms of camping skills.
    I cannot blame most of the current crop of leaders, they try they really do, but they have spent most of their life at a desk, woodsmen (or woodswomen) are getting scarce nowadays. You can't teach what you don't know. and a weekend or two at IOLS can not replace hundreds of hours in the woods.
    Oldscout

Comment

Originally posted by Oldscout448 View Post
      Other troops all you needed to do was listen to some summer camp CIT mumble about it.
      That is the purpose of ItOLS: To teach indoor volunteers how to sign off Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class in about 20 hours, the same number of hours as most "first year" summer camp programs.

Originally posted by Oldscout448 View Post
      I cannot blame most of the current crop of leaders, they try they really do, but they have spent most of their life at a desk, woodsmen (or woodswomen) are getting scarce nowadays.
      Baloney, OldScout, Baloney!

Baden-Powell had the same problem 100 years ago. So he designed Wood Badge for 20th century indoor volunteers who spent most of their life at a desk, as a week-long immersion course in how to think like woodsmen.

Wood Badge for the 21st century teaches indoor volunteers that success formula "leadership skills" they can use in their life at a desk, are the mountaintop experience of Scouting.

Comment

• Oldscout448
        Oldscout448 commented
        Editing a comment
        In my old troop First class took about 100 hours, in my sons current troop I would say half of that.

As to your second point I am some what confused, are you saying it is the SM fault or current WB fault or both?

• Kudu
        Kudu commented
        Editing a comment
        OldScout: Both. Sorry, my sentences above are confusing. Rather than editing them, I will try again below.

The central myth of Wood Badge is that woodsmen were more common in Baden-Powell's day. Scoutcraft was a collection of "practical" skills that boys needed for life on the farm.

Baloney! Scouting has always been a game for city boys who spend too much time indoors.

20th century parents were indoor adults that spent most of their life at a desk, same as now. So Baden-Powell designed Wood Badge as a week-long immersion course to teach desk riders how to think like woodsmen.

Wood Badge for the 21st century teaches indoor volunteers that the mountaintop experience of Scouting is success formula "leadership skills" they can use for life indoors at a desk.

"Baloney! Scouting has always been a game for city boys who spend too much time indoors.

20th century parents were indoor adults that spent most of their life at a desk, same as now. So Baden-Powell designed Wood Badge as a week-long immersion course to teach desk riders how to think like woodsmen."

Aye, the truth, couldn't have written it any better myself. I've noticed recently that NYLT in my area has really started to de emphasize the Patrol Method as they've allowed Venture Scouts to start participating.

Just curious Kudu, have you read "Baden Powell: The Two Lives of a Hero" by William Hillcourt?

http://www.amazon.com/Baden-Powell-T.../dp/0963432001

Comment

Working...
      X