Just curious,

So what are your thoughts on a Pack paying for a Den Leader to attend woodbadge????

Personally I think it is way out of line.

If the Pack is that flush with money they need to reduce what they are charging their families or increase the spending on the boys.

I don't have an issue with spending the $10 and sending them to the position specific training, it does include lunch. But $300 of the boys money is too much.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh if only that were true.  Though I have not seen many, and I have been at this rodeo for a while, I have run across a few leaders that felt if a little training was good, then more was better.  They

I am referring to all Cub leaders - that includes pack committee members, Cubmasters, Asst. Cubmasters, as well as Den leaders. Many packs I know are 40+, if not 60+ boys & families. Organizing

I’m a den leader, and I agree with whoever said that it seems superfluous at this level.  I’m sure it’s a good training, but.....I don’t feel I need leadership training to run herd on first graders!  

I think it depends in part on how big the pack is. The sister pack to our troop has about 160 cubs and it's in desperate need of qualified, committed, trained leaders. I'd say two bucks a scout to help achieve that objective is not out of line, even for a half dozen scouters. I, on the other hand, attended Wood Badge when I was cubmaster of a pack with about 15 scouts. I paid my own way.

• Upvote 1
I think it depends in part on how big the pack is. The sister pack to our troop has about 160 cubs and it's in desperate need of qualified, committed, trained leaders. I'd say two bucks a scout to help achieve that objective is not out of line, even for a half dozen scouters. I, on the other hand, attended Wood Badge when I was cubmaster of a pack with about 15 scouts. I paid my own way.
That Pack is an exception

So what about the average size pack which is about 25 boys or so......

Any unit should not pay for Wood Badge, period. Wood Badge is not about position-specific training. In fact, one of the messages we got on our first day of WB was "It's All About Me." In other words, you spend all your other scouting time doing stuff for others, Wood Badge is all about YOU. Since it's all about you and the befits to the unit are tangential at best (ticket items notwithstanding), why would any unit pay?

Any unit should not pay for Wood Badge, period. Wood Badge is not about position-specific training. In fact, one of the messages we got on our first day of WB was "It's All About Me." In other words, you spend all your other scouting time doing stuff for others, Wood Badge is all about YOU. Since it's all about you and the befits to the unit are tangential at best (ticket items notwithstanding), why would any unit pay?
That must be a recent addition to the syllabus. It certainly wasn't mentioned in my course. If it's all about me, I'm spending the weekend at the Grove Park Inn.

That's ridiculous.

I don't remember hearing that...

But that was the general attitude of my course.

Don't remember it, and probably wouldn't countenance it if I heard it. Can't imagine our course director saying anything of the sort.
That was an actual slide in one of the many interminable PowerPoint presentations we sat through. I remember it well.
Sounds like someone on the staff misunderstood the curriculum. I can see someone saying that it's up to you to make a difference, but not that Wood Badge is all about you. As both a participant and staffer, the message I saw was one of service to the scouts and take what you learn here and make a difference in your units,

Here we go again....

Why take WB? 1) Because I want to

2) Because my unit says they would like me to/ need me to

3) Because it's required for the Jamboree..whatever.

4) Because someone else will pay for it and it's a neat mini vaction away from home...

Okay. So for whatever reason, you re going to WB. How to pay for it? Can't be free,:: the pychology of training ALWAYS includes the BUY IN. If you have no investment (time, mioney, emotion) it will mean the less to you.

The money part can be fulfilled in many ways.

** Pay for it yourself. 'Nuf said.

** By your involvement and DEMONSTRATED dedication to Scouting, perhaps the Unit can help (do they offer? Do you ask?).

** Some companies recognize WB as a worthy management training. Ask your HR folks about company help.

** Some Unions see WB as a worthy community service, in encouraging Scout Leaders. Mine was paid by my union. They only required that I not get "fired" from my job for a year!

** I have heard of churches helping financially (see above about "companies"), seeing WB as a worthy social endeavor , Scouting being what it is.

It ultimately is kinda like the song about "Sharon"..... you got to pay with your heart, ultimately, to make the WB course worth while. And, as has been said in other threads, it is dependant on the training staff. Some WB's seem to be better than others. The beads all look alike to me.

In my opinion, WB does improve program and longevity. You make contacts, learn more about BSA and become a better leader. I would encourage Webelos Den Leaders to go because it helps them better prepare their Webelos for the Boy Scout transition.

Cub leaders should definitely attend Wood Badge. Leading a Cub Pack has different dynamics than a Boy Scout Troop, but it's no less difficult. It requires trained leaders too. Many of the skills you learn in Wood Badge are directly applicable to the Cub experience. Leading a team of adult, planning large events, developing an annual program - these are all the things that den & pack leaders do all the time.

• Like 1
Cub leaders should definitely attend Wood Badge. Leading a Cub Pack has different dynamics than a Boy Scout Troop, but it's no less difficult. It requires trained leaders too. Many of the skills you learn in Wood Badge are directly applicable to the Cub experience. Leading a team of adult, planning large events, developing an annual program - these are all the things that den & pack leaders do all the time.
Excuse me? Den leaders plan large events and develop annual programs all the time?

Only in the mind of a WouldBadger does riding herd on 10 third graders require Tom Blanchard management theory...

• Upvote 1