Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have to wear the hat? I don't like the hat.

Comment

Originally posted by packsaddle View Post
      Why does anyone want to do Woodbadge? Is this some kind of fraternity thing or is there really some benefit to it? And if there is, please describe what those benefits are. Just curious.
      You cry at the end.

In all seriousness, I've got just over 20 years split between youth and adult service, and I feel absolutely no impetus to go to Woodbadge. I've read Hillcourt's 1950s PL Handbook cover-to-cover (yes, even the recipes appendix ) and refer to it often, the current PL Handbook (which took considerably less time with its 14-pt typeface and paltry length ), the Guide to Safe Scouting, Guide to Advancement, Uniform & Insignia Guide, read the current material and watched the videos for youth leadership training, etc etc. That looks like bragging, but what it is is the reason I personally am not planning on taking Woodbadge: I know my scoutcraft and I know how a troop works.

However, I do not preach my reticence. I'm the rare bird in long-term, continuing, thoughtful study of the material, and we're all surrounded with guys who are clueless or ignorant and are perfectly happy to remain so. If Woodbadge motivates some of them to get moving, that's great and I'm all for it.
      I do get sick of smug people nudging me and asking "when are you gonna get your woggle?" I used to be good-natured about it, now I just say "when I feel like I need it."
      Last edited by Scouter99; 05-30-2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Yes, the Den Leaders with the plush toy "critters" do cry at the end. Those freely distributed boxes of Kleenex at the closing represent the "diversity" we gained from Program Neutering.

Also, participants should then be able to spell "Wood Badge," and distinguish between the proprietary timeless "21st century leadership skills" of Green Bar Blanchard, and the non-proprietary timeless "21st century leadership skills" of Scouting's true founder, Bruce Tuckman.

Comment

• Basementdweller
          Basementdweller commented
          Editing a comment
          must breath.....

Choking on my coffee........That is too funny

Kudu, you and H.L. Mencken seem to be kindred spirits, I think. I actually like that, BTW. Sorry about the spelling. But since I haven't participated.....I'll try to get it right in the future.
        Last edited by packsaddle; 05-30-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

An interesting twist to this whole Wood Badge thingy... If the 21st Century program is so much better than the "old stuff" why aren't the old-timers beating down the door to get into the program? For a while, the council was pushing the 21st program to the old-timers telling them that they needed to update in order to be on staff, eligible for Jambo staff, etc. etc. The impression was the "old stuff" wasn't going to be "valid" anymore. There were a few who even subtly threatened to require the re-training in order to keep the beads.

The conclusion for most was, well then, where do we drop off the beads.....

Somehow I keep thinking in the back of my mind, if the program is so much better, why isn't everyone, including "old stuff" Wood Badgers beating down the door to get into the program?

And that begs the second question, why after 13 years people are still asking the same question: "Why Woodbadge?"

Sometimes the track record speaks for itself.

Stosh

Comment

• qwazse
            qwazse commented
            Editing a comment
            But, BP, when I was making tiramisu for our desert when during our patrol dinner, it was incredible! As soon as I emptied a bowl, before I could turn around to look for it, those cub moms had it cleaned, dried, and ready to use for the next step (of which there were many).

• packsaddle
            packsaddle commented
            Editing a comment
            qwazse, I wish Vicki was still around to clonk you in the head with her steel hanky, lol. My compliments for a great response using sexist claptrap, as she called it. I'm envious.

• qwazse
            qwazse commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, pardon me for mentioning their sex! But, the two scout dads weren't cleaning my cookery.

Here is an honest why......

You are required, at least in our council, to have 21st version to be a scoutmaster for our Jambo contingent.

And after sitting in the parents meetings for my sons trip.....I would never want that job.....You thought the boys were neurotic.....Of course several parents micro analyse the emails sent by national and the poor SM..... Fricken relax your not going and your scout will have a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by Basementdweller View Post
            Here is an honest why......

You are required, at least in our council, to have 21st version to be a scoutmaster for our Jambo contingent.

And after sitting in the parents meetings for my sons trip.....I would never want that job.....You thought the boys were neurotic.....Of course several parents micro analyse the emails sent by national and the poor SM..... Fricken relax your not going and your scout will have a great time.
            And What would have Happened if No One to have it... would they have refused to send a group to Jambo?

Comment

• Twocubdad
              Twocubdad commented
              Editing a comment
              I was a jambo SM last time. The parents I could deal with -- a couple nut jobs, but many were leaders of their sons' home troops and got it. The ones I wanted to smack were the council jamboree committee members. The very best advice, information and guidance you could get for the 1988 jamboree. "Well, the way we did it in '05..... "No, no! The way we did it in '01 was.... "Yeah but the proper procedure was the way we did it in '97....." Wish we could have left them all in Richmond.

• packsaddle
              packsaddle commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm trying to make sense out of those dates......

hmm.. there was no peer pressure. no one in our pack has been to woodbadge before me, and i don't remember meeting anyone who has been to woodbadge. i went to woodbadge to be a better leader to my den. well.. i can't say that i have been a better leader since. our den parents might have something to say about my leadership skills, but i have no clue. i try to make it fun for the boys and make it worth awhile for them. now i'm also involved with a troop, i try to bring something to the troop that i do not see, like simple bushcraft skills.. simple outdoor skills like fire starting and maintenance. knife maintenance, use and care. map use and others.

i don't think big. and now i try to bring something back from boy scout troop to the webelos. things that i see missing from incoming webelos into the troop.

all the education that i received from woodbadge training was already been done at my work. leadership skills, soft skills, and others. but the setting and cooperation among the people in the class made the experience very powerful to me. i enjoyed every min of woodbadge and i spread the word to my pack leadership. one of our ACM went last yr and he had very similar experience as i did. now he is more involved with scouting at both pack and council level.. like i said, i don't think too big.

it's not really what they offer to you. it's what you want to bring back from the experience. there is old chinese saying. "even from the worst teacher, you can learn something.. how not to be a bad teacher". give it a shot, if you are interested. you don't have to go to woodbadge your council offers if you don't want to. you can go to other council's course. only thing that's holding back other leaders in my pack is time and money.

Comment

Wow that council has some great marketing if they are getting Cub leaders to attend.

You did what they hoped you would do, recruited more to attend

Comment

Bullet08 mentioned something I have also wondered about. What does it cost in terms of time and money? Are these costs similar for all regions or councils?

Comment

• Basementdweller
                  Editing a comment
                  KKD

There are three LNT different course.

One is a single day class...Typically free.

Second is a trainer course...I took this one....Typically three days...Cost from $100 to $400 depending on the provider

Third is a master educator course.....This is a week long and cost between $500 and $1500 depending on the provider

The third course is completely off the hook.....I see no reason why you would ever need to take this course.....I back packed for three days and had to do a presentation to the group.....It was no big deal....
                  Last edited by Basementdweller; 06-03-2013, 06:28 AM.

• wb_owl
                  wb_owl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My course was $210.00. Two 3-day weekends for the coursework. We got together again a month after the second weekend to turn in our ticket sheets and receive some final instructions. As a patrol, we met at least 6 times in the last 18 months. I figured that I spent around $250.00 or so completing my ticket.

I turned my completed ticket in 2 weeks ago. I'll get my beads June 21 at the council fire ring.

Dean R
                  Owl Patrol
                  C3-133-11-1

• Scouter99
                  Scouter99 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  $275 incl meals, 6 days for my council. Some of the district guys try to play up the value by claiming that if this were a corporate training event, it would be $5,000.

What did I get out of Wood Badge? I made some good friends that I probably wouldn't have otherwise met. There was no earth-shattering skill that I learned that would help me in business, no particular people skills, no amazing insights into Scouting - at least not things that I didn't already know. My ticket had items that I probably would not have done - service outside of my home unit and helping to make things better with a Scoutreach unit. I became involved with a Scoutreach unit based in a low-income housing community and has the pleasure, no, the joy, of helping those boys learn about Scouting. None of them had uniforms, none of them had ever been camping, none of them had ever had dinner over a campfire, none had been to a Cub day camp. They all have since enjoyed those experiences - all things that wouldn't have happened had I not had the Wood Badge experience. I can honestly say that experience changed my life. Many of those Cubs earned their Arrow of Light and several have transitioned into a traditional Boy Scout troop. How's that for a honest to God, life changing experience? Honestly? It could change their entire lives.

I associate with Scouting because I generally like the type of people that also choose to associate themselves with Scouting. I want my son to develop relationships with children and families that share the same values I share. My experiences with Wood Badge were very positive - I'd do it again.

Comment

I still and forever will contend that the folks who have or say woodbadge is life changing have led very sheltered and shallow lives.....

No hardships or tough choices......

Ya we had a bunch of folks that were in tears at the end of the course......I didn't get it........

Honestly I never felt like crying after a management course ended......

Comment

• Basementdweller
                    Editing a comment
                    I live in da hood that is the difference

• Kudu
                    Kudu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DanBrew: You could write the same ticket if the content of Wood Badge was still Scouting for Boy Scouts, rather than office management for Den Leaders.

• AZMike
                    AZMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You make it sound like the Werner Ehrhard EST courses that were popular in the 1970s.

I deleted a post by Aimeejohnson because it was an advertisement.

Comment

Would you ever recommend to one of your youth to NOT go to NYLT because it would be a waste of their time? Basically it is the same material as WB. If you think it would benefit them, why do you doubt it would benefit you?

Comment

• HICO_Eagle
                      HICO_Eagle commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My Scouts haven't had 30 years of Scouting, 20+ years of military service plus associated "professional military education", numerous management and leadership courses, and Scoutmaster Fundamentals (which I also considered redundant and useless). They would benefit from NYLT, I would not.

Our scouts who attended NYLT in the past do NOT recommend the course. Their concerns were well considered, respectfully stated, and properly forwarded which also proved to be a waste of time.

Comment

• SR540Beaver
                      SR540Beaver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't know, but I'd say someone is doing something wrong. Our council does two course per year and we always fill both courses. I was the course director last fall, so I sit on our NYLT committee and see our feedback from participants. Literally, all of the feedback we have received from youth and adult volunteers has been positive.

• RememberSchiff
                      RememberSchiff commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Course material which the staff blindly followed.
                      Let the buyer ($300+) beware. Check with others who have recently taken your council course and see if it addresses scout leadership needs. Ask the course director, if you could review the course notes beforehand. In our case, it was a thick binder full out outlines and handouts for hours of classroom of the basics of running meetings, MBA theory, games, songs, and HR techniques, no program and activity planning for a scout-run troop, no outdoor leadership training.
                      Last edited by RememberSchiff; 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM.

• SR540Beaver
                      SR540Beaver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Strange, the course curriculum is built around the patrol and includes camping, cooking, first aid, pioneering, orienteering, hiking, etc. Are their "classroom" sessions that involve leadership skills like communicating, planning, etc.? Why yes there is, but we did as many as possible by individual patrol and let them pick an outdoor location(s) to hold them. It's all "in the book" and a course director takes a pledge to present the material as designed.
                  Working...
                  X