New Sea Scout Leader Training "Seabadge Underway"

A new Advanced Sea Scout Leader training will soon be available called Seabadge Underway.

A pilot training course was held in May 2008 in the Florida Keys with two Commodores from the National Sea Scout Committee and 5 lucky participants, one from the Southern Region, one from the Northeast Region and three from the Central Region. COMPLETE understanding of Chapter four of the Sea Scout manual is MANDATORY as well as having the ability to chart and navigate a course the traditional way. Written tests are given prior to attending the course, upon arrival and at the end of the course which must be passed to graduate. Knowledge of 15 knots tied in less than three minutes must also be passed to complete the course.

From the National Support Committee Sea Scouts, BSA Committee Report 10 February 2009

Seabadge Underway

Seabadge is an advanced leadership training course for Sea Scout leaders; similar to Woodbadge. It is for adults currently registered as Sea Scout leaders, and council professionals and commissioner staff

working with Sea Scout Ships. It is intense leadership and management training focused on successful Sea Scout unit program management.

Seabadge Underway is another step in the development of adult Sea Scout leaders. This new course is conducted underway with the participants carrying out the roles of Sea Scout youth underway aboard a boat. The course curriculum has been developed and planning is well along for the first offering this year.

Seabadge SR-33 staff debriefing had a discussion along these lines back in November after our course. It was discussed as hypothetical, but I see a definate connection between what is posted here and our little talk. Obviously, this was well underway (pun intended) at the time of SR-33.

Interesting; this changes a lot of things.

Thanks. I had no idea, even if I may have been part of a focus group on the matter....

Shortridge,

It goes like this:

Captain: Are you ready kids?

Kids: Aye-aye Captain.

Captain: I can't hear you...

Kids: Aye-Aye Captain!!

Captain: Oh! Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Kids: SpongeBob SquarePants!

Captain: Absorbent and yellow and porous is he!

Captain: If nautical nonsense be something you wish...

Captain: Then drop on the deck and flop like a fish!

Captain: Ready?

EveryBody: SpongeBob SquarePants! SpongeBob SquarePants! SpongeBob SquarePants!

Captain: SpongeBob.... SquarePants! Haha.

Sounds like Seabadge requires participants demonstrate their mastery of seamanship before and during the course. All done while on a real voyage. With all this practical instruction being done, when is there time for advanced management theory and E.D.G.E? Do they bring a projector onboard to show the powerpoint slides?

Last fall at PTC there was a pilot of a "beyond WB" advanced field leadership course. One of my friends in the district went on it.

Sounds to me like an upper tier of skills intertied to leadership courses are being tried :)

Too bad too many folks are hoarding their pennies right now :( as the economy continues to suck discretionary dollars out of family budgets.

While I welcome this new course and think it's a wonderful idea.

I do have some concerns about how many the course can accommodate?

I really hope it's not going to be along the same lines as SEAL, with only about 50 participants a year.

Ea.

• 4 years later...

Just came across this site, and wanted to let you know that I was one of the original 5 "lucky participants" in the pilot course. An incredible experience like an adult S.E.A.L. course. The participant from Texas was in Boston aboard the USS Constitution for the turnaround on 4 July, and came down to Cape Cod for a joint Ship meeting.