I don't know if anyone has seen any of these yet..but a friend sent me this link to some videos on youtube and I thought you'd all enjoy them too...especially "The Ticket from Hell" and "Telling Secrets of Wood Badge"

SueM

Beaver SR-605

TG- SR-741

ASM for TG's SR-881

John,

Thanks! I was honored and totally shocked that I was asked to step up and do this, as I was only signed on as a TG at first and then he reshuffled the staff a bit. I'm not sure I was the best candidate..but the CD said that he had confidence that I could do it, so how could I not give it a try!! Luckily, I know all the troop guides pretty well already, so I have a pretty good idea of how they do things and their committment level. We haven't started the staff development yet..but will soon so any advice or suggestions for me are welcomed!

SueM

Sue,

The only advice I have is for the TG breakouts. Our course, each TG used a "briefing book" and stand, and document protectors to hold the slides.

Problem: The white print of the slides, seen through the cellophane, looking at the camouflage BSA standard WB background, was well nigh impossible to read at 3 feet, let alone 6-8.

I'd rather see the "instructor version" (plain black and white printing). If you have someone who is nearsighted, use him for a sanity check of each presentation before you give it to the TGs for implementation. If necessary, increase the font pitch and the number of slides.

Does that make sense?

John,

Thanks..I appreciate the advice. It sort of makes sense..but in our council, we don't use slides, etc. Each TG makes their own personalized presentation, though they are presented and reviewed by the staff during the staff development days to make sure that they are complete. We were advised a bit as to things like limit the bullets on a page..number of words in the bullets, things like that.

suem

Well, not related to the first post, but under the title of the thread...

On last summer's course, one of the patrols did a Top Ten Ways To Tell If You Are A Woodbadger skit. One of my favorite lines was:

"When you notice your shoe laces are untied, the first thought that pops into your mind is "I could woggle that."

I guess you had to be there...

Actually, there's a teaching point in this:

SPL (PD) never gathered the student PLs for a PLC to "walk the ground" of the campground before weekend 2.

Our patrol, at one of our 3 get togethers between the two sessions, did indeed walk the ground, and selected our Patrol site. We designated exactly where each of us would deploy to to "mark the ground."

When we were dismissed from our Troop formation to stake our ground, all but our PL took off like shots to their points on the ground; 30 seconds later, we yelled in unison "WE CLAIM THIS SPACE IN THE NAME OF THE OWLS."

Everyone was pissed at us!

PL brought SPL AND SM (CD) came down to talk to us. All we had to say was: When did you have a walking PLC to decide who got what ground for the campout? You didn't. We're not going to wait humbly while others take the good ground and we get crap. Deal with it."

CD, SPL and ASM (Facilities) (by now) looked at each other and lowered their heads sheepishly. They had screwed up by the numbers. They walked away quietly... "It's your space." They had to apologize to the other Patrols for not doing their part of managing the Troop footprint.

Moral of the story: Make darn sure there is a walking PLC before the camping weekend, and that all Patrols get opportunity to have good ground for the camping weekend.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Beaverlll,

Thanks! How did you find your experience a SA-TG as opposed to being a TG??? I think it's going to be difficult for me to have to somewhat step back from things and just watch..I'm the kind who wants to somewhat help -too- much!..in the sense that if I see something that needs to be done, or isn't being done, that I jump in and do it myself..It's how I was brought up - that if you see something that needs to be done, you don't wait for someone to tell you to do it! So..stay tuned!! We're having our first short staff meeting next week, so I'm sure I'll have a better idea of things and start trying to develop the mindset that I'll need more.

SueM

Sue,

Its very hard for me to compare as I served as TG in 2003, SPL in 2004, Culinary Corps (cook staff) in 2006 and SA-TGs in 2008. Thats a lot of time from one to the other.

I made a conscious decision to NOT micro-manage. Best decision I ever made. There were some bumps along the way in staff development. We also use a briefing book and some of the TGs were depending on that for their presentations. Once I convinced them the message they needed to provide was in the syllabus and the books were only an aid, the light went off and each one performed wonderfully. As you know TGs can make or break a course for participants and these TGs stepped up and nailed it. All were first time staffers. At the closing banquet kudos and acclamations were flying for the TGs.

If you feel you have to keep your hand in, watch what they do, but watch from afar. I asked another staffer to observe them in action. I let them know I was there for them if they needed me but I was not going to hover over them. They came to me when needed, we talked often about which participants were getting it and which needed assistance.

I had a great time, learned a lot about them and about myself and would not trade this experience for the world.

Show them the way and trust them to do their jobs. Odds are good that they will make you shine.

With all of that said, I experienced some pangs of jealousy watching them, remembering the great time I had as a TG and the impact you get to make on the den/patrol.

Again, good luck to you.

BeaverIII

By the way: they really appreciated it when I would meet with them as a team to go over what happened in the PLCs they did not attend or when the CD and SPL made a change to the schedule. They liked being kept in the loop.

B3

John,

That doesn't sound common, based on what I've seen in our Council. That sounds like a staff member had to drop out late in the game, and it was too late to get a replacement. But it could have been the plan from the beginning, as well.

Here, we have our Assistant QM dual train as a TG, just in case. This year, we actually have 2 AQMs, which is the first time I have seen that. Both are dual training with the TGs.