While at Woodbadge last weekend, I noticed that none of staff wore their appropiate Patrol patch. When I question the Patrol Guide I was told that the Cadre was inform the wearing of the Patrol pacth of their Woodbadge patrol was wrong, so everyone removed theirs.

I cannot find this regulation on What an adult can wear as a Patrol patch, any help?

John "eaglet" Ivey

Correct me if I am wrong, fellow staffers!

My understanding is that the Wood Badge staff removes all insignia except standard uniform insignia (American flag, World Crest, and council patch). Any earned badges, badges of office, neckerchief and neckwear (including Wood Badge beads) should be removed.

Eagle Pete

Thanks Pete, I can see the reasons for the Cadre to remove the patches, while at the course, but my Patrol Guide also hinted that outside the course we were not to wear it. I am proud to be an Eagle and wish to show it and answer questions on why I wear such a proud emblem.

John "Eaglet" Ivey

wmjivey

If you are talking about the patrol patches which are worn by the boys of a patrol which signifies the symbol of their patrol they have chosen, then I agree... those patrol patches are not intended for Wood Badge patrols. They are for the boys to use as their patrol. Wood Badge is different in that you are placed in a special patrol which is used as a training tool to learn, among other things, the patrol method.

I collect, like many Wood Badgers do, my critters (eagles). I have a part of a wall at my house dedicated to the eagle patrol. I don't wear anything on the uniform that signifies this. There are no official insignia for Wood Badge patrols to be worn on the uniform.

When you earn your beads you will wear them and they will become part of your uniform. You won't need any other emblem that symbolizes Wood Badge (of course, the full regalia as the same effect). You will be asked from time to time what patrol you are a member of. PROUDLY exclaim you are an eagle! That's all you will ever need to do.

As I read in a Farside comic once... Birds of prey know they're cool.

Eagle Pete

Eagle Pete,

Staff uniforms no longer need to be "stripped"..you wear your normal uniform..just minus any temporary adornment or non-regulation patrol patches.

We wore our beads with the participant neckerchief for the whole course

SueM

While things might have changed?

In my copy of the Administrative Guide(Page 24)

It states that :

1. During a Wood Badge course, staff members will their normal Scouting Uniforms. (it then lists the uniform.)

2. The uniform should only have the following insignia:

* Council Strip

* American Flag

* World Brotherhood emblem

*Shoulder loops signifying their branches of Scouting.

Looking at it I just now noticed that it makes no mention of a position patch?

It goes on to say that on the final day the staff wear the Wood Badge neckerchief, woggle and may wear the appropriate uniform for their volunteer position.

I think the correct answer to the question that wmjivey asks is that no one should be wearing a patrol patch.

It was part of the old courses, but Patrol Flags are now used.

There is no time in the course for a sewing session.

Patrol patches are not part of the adult leader uniform -Adults who serve in non-Boy Scout positions have no dealings with patrols.

A patrol patch is not worn on a Cub Scouter uniform, a Commissioner uniform or a Venturing uniform.

Patrol patches are not to be worn on the course.

My guide is 4 years old- So maybe things have changed?

Maybe Red Feather might have a more up to date guide?

Eamonn.

Ok

I just looked thru some old Wood Badge pictures when I went through... brings back some very nice memories...

I do see beads on the staff! I never really paid attention I guess. Or I just plain forgot.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out to me.. Yet another eye opener!

Eagle Pete(This message has been edited by eagle-pete)

Eamonn

I believe what you pointed out is still being practiced. I will be confirming this soon, as I will be on staff in 2007, but I believe that the Guide still states what you have.

I do not fully understand the rational behind it, except that the staff should not parade their accomplishments or advertise their experiences during the course. Are there other reasons you can share for this guideline?

Eagle Pete(This message has been edited by eagle-pete)

Adults are not supposed to wear patrol emblems. However, because of the patrol method used during WB, emblems are (or have been used). When I went to WB, I met my coach/consellor who gave me an eagle patch and said "Welcome, you're now in the eagle patrol, this is for you to sew on." I thanked him and sat under the same tree as he did. Then he said: "you can start sewing anytime you're ready".

I've heard that WB for 21st Century, students use safety pins for patrol emblems and badge of office.

I guess every course is a little different.

wmjivey,

You can always show your Eagle pride with ball caps, t-shirts, belt buckles, ring, etc.

Gonzo

SR-59

Eagle Patrol also

Everybody knows there are 2 types of WoodBadge critters, those who are Foxes, and those who want to be. We wore our patrol medalions when we were participants in the course, but took them off afterwards.

Foxes rule,

C-11-96

All-

Adults do not wear patrol medallions. Those are youth insignia. During a WB course, it is ok for WB patrol members to wear their patrol medallion pined to their uniform. They should not, however, sew the patrol medallion on to their uniform.

Back in the 'old days' of WB, both staff and participants were required to strip their uniform to the bare essentials. The intention was to make it clear that everyone was part of the WB Troop, and put everyone on a level field (those with 3 rows of knots wouldn't intimidate those with none, etc).

In the 1980s and 1990s, this meant that everyone on the BS WB course wore the tan uniform with:

*red loops

*World crest

*council strip

*american flag

*Troop 1 patch.

*Wood Badge patrol medallion

*appropriate WB neckerchief & slide (participant or WB)

*leather WB name tag hanging from right pocket flap

Patricipants would pin their WB office patch on (pinned because this would change each day). Staff would wear the appropriate office patch sewn on.

When Wood Badge for the 21st Century was rolled out, participants no longer had to strip their uniform. They were expected to come in their normal uniform. WB patrol medallions & office patches would be pinned on. Staff, however, still wore stripped uniforms. In 2005, the WB Staff Guide was updated, and staff now no longer wear stripped uniforms. They wear their regular uniform, and indication of their position on the course is done with nametags.

I would loved to have been a fly on the wall when the 21st Century Course was being put together.

While I don't know. I do think that to keep the Patrols or not keep them was a big debate.

The UK course (Yes even the courses at the Happy Land) doesn't use Patrols or patrol names any more.

At times I think the fuss about Wood Badge patrols is a little out of hand.

I remember a female Cub Scouter who was heart broken when she came to the old course and found out she was a Bob White.

As to why the Staff should remove all the extras off their uniform.

I think it has to do with what the course is about. It isn't about the Staff. They are there to present the syllabus and serve the participants.

Gonzo1

I don't know when you took the course.

If the course if following the syallabus of the course that is offered today there isn't time for sitting under trees and having a sew.

The course is about Leadership, not sewing.

About this time last year I was the SM for a Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster outdoor skills course. Two of the staff had attened the course I directed. Some of the Patrols did sew Patrol Patches on during the time between the weekends. They were still wearing these patches, I very nicely asked them to remove them. As staff members on a Council course this was a bad example.

Eamonn