A Round of the Gilwell Song....

I used to be a BEAVER and a Good 'ol Beaver too...

And now I'm finished Beavering... I don't I don't know what to do...

I'm growing old and feable and I can Beaver no more...

So I am going to work my ticket if I can...

Back to Gilwell.. Happy Land.. I'm going to work my ticket if I can...

Join in...

Jerry

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to be Bruce Tuckman and a corporate raider too.   Now I've destroyed "Real" Patrols I know just what to do.   I'll form and storm more outdoor skills just to follow through.   Back to

I used to be an Eagle and a Good 'ol Eagle too.   And now I'm finished Eagling, I don't know what to do.   I'm growing old and feable and I can Eagle no more, So I am going to work my ticket

I wanted to be a staffer, a good old staffer too! I've even had some training so I’d know what to do. But politics so old and feeble, and I can staff no more. So I won’t wear my beads when I can.

I used to be a BOB WHITE and a Good 'ol Bob Wgite too...

And now I'm finished Bob Whiting... I don't I don't know what to do...

I'm growing old and feable and I can Bob White no more...

I used to be an Eagle and a Good 'ol Eagle too.

And now I'm finished Eagling, I don't know what to do.

I'm growing old and feable and I can Eagle no more,

So I am going to work my ticket if I can.

Back to Gilwell, happy land.

I'm going to work my ticket if I can.

• Downvote 1

I used to be an OWL and a Good 'ol Owl too...

And now I'm finished Owling... I don't I don't know what to do...

I'm growing old and feable and I can Owl no more...

I used to be a Fox, and a good old Fox too,

But now I've finished Foxing, I don't know what to do,

I'm growing old and feable, and I can Fox no more,

So I'm going to work my ticket if I can.

Back to Gilwell, Happy Land;

I used to be a BEAR and a Good 'ol Bear too...

And now I'm finished Bearing... I don't I don't know what to do...

I'm growing old and feable and I can Bear no more...

FB

As they say, if you snooze....

Actually, I recall reading somewhere that there is no "Official" order of Wood Badge patrols. I think this concept of "Wood Badge order" is more tradition than anything. I also heard that patrol names are the decision of the course director.

If there is anyone out there with the Official BSA stance on this, please let us know. Perhaps a Wood Badge Course Director...

I do know that there have been other Wood Badge patrols in the US other than those that are standard now - and in other countries, I have heard of even more different patrol names.

... entering the room, looking for his bretheren. But, alas, they are quite fleet afoot, so he sings alone...

I used to be a ANTELOPE and a Good 'ol Antelope too...

And now I'm finished Anteloping... I don't I don't know what to do...

I'm growing old and feable and I can 'lope no more...

Well the Buffalo is here, even though the Antelope jumped the gun.

I used to be a BUFFALO and a Good 'ol Buffalo too...

And now I'm finished Buffaloing... I don't I don't know what to do...

I'm growing old and feable and I can Buffalo no more...

Back to Gilwell.. Happy Land.. I'm going to work my ticket if I can.

(I needed that to warm up my voice for tomorrow-- day 4 of my Wood Badge Course.)

"Actually, I recall reading somewhere that there is no "Official" order of Wood Badge patrols. I think this concept of "Wood Badge order" is more tradition than anything. I also heard that patrol names are the decision of the course director.

If there is anyone out there with the Official BSA stance on this, please let us know. Perhaps a Wood Badge Course Director... "

Well, I'm not a CD, but I'll give this a try.

AFAIK, the current set of WB patrols are official and have always been in that particular order, at least in the US. AFAIK, CDs can't change (or should not change) the patrol names.

Now, as I understand it, things weren't always so.

Currently, the way the 21CWB is run, there are these patrols in this order: Beaver - Bobwhite - Eagle - Fox - Owl - Bear - Buffalo - Antelope. Because of the minimum and maximum numbers for courses, that is it. You get anywere from 8 6-person patrols to 8 8-person patrols (MAYBE a few 9-person patrols).

Now, with the older courses, it was different. With the old Boy Scout Leader WB, if you didn't get enough people, you might not have 8 patrols. You may only have up thru Bear, MAYBE Buffalo. (my course had up thru Buffalo) Antelope was VERY rare. People would gather to sign the song and get decent numbers for Beaver thru Bear, get fewer for Buffalo, and MAYBE get 2-3 (IF THAT!) for Antelope. And if you had someone with a different patrol...

And if you needed more then 8 patrols, then courses would add additional patrols (rather then run 2 WB troops), which is where you get ones like Raven, etc. Some councils (or areas or regions) might have different traditions for what they might name the 9th patrol, etc. Or some might use a different name for #8, OR even drop other patrol names out it more 'spread out' the patrols that might exist in the area. (that is might do "Beaver - Bobwhite - Eagle - Fox - Bear - Buffalo - Antelope" one time, then "Beaver - Eagle - Fox - Owl - Bear - Buffalo - Antelope" another). [i've heard of this, but am uncertain if true]

Maybe some of the older WBers can add/confirm/deny this.

Now, I don't know what they might have done on the older WB courses. I DO know the older Explorer WB courses of the 50s had 4 patrols named for frontiersmen (Jim Bridger, Daniel Boone, Kit Carson, and William Clark to be exact). No idea what the Cub Scout Trainer WB or Varsity Scout WB courses did.

"I do know that there have been other Wood Badge patrols in the US other than those that are standard now - and in other countries, I have heard of even more different patrol names. "

That's what I've heard. So you might hear of Wolf or Curlew or some local bird/beast (elephant? etc). There apparently used to be an on-line WB Patrol Name Encyclopedia, but its gone.

Hope this helps.

Oh Geez guys...are we going to have to start the song all over again because WB'ers forgot the order???? ;)

Sue M.(who completed her ticket this week!!)

I used to be a BEAVER and a good old BEAVER too

But now that I'm done BEAVERING,

I don't know what to do

I'm growing old and feeble

and I can BEAVER no more

So I'm going to work my ticket if I can

Back to Gilwell, Happy Land!

I'm going to work my ticket if I can

Not to mess up the song any, but in answer to the patrol question, under the 2005 Administration Guide for 21st Century Wood Badge, the only patrols you can use are: Beaver, Bobwhite, Eagle, Fox, Owl, Bear, Buffalo, and Antelope in that order. Since a course is limited to 48 participants with 6 to a patrol (that is so each participant can be a patrol leader one day) if you have under 48, you still put 6 in each patrol and the last patrol would have over or under (ie: 5 or 7) Hope this helps,

Now!!

I used to be a Staffer, a good old Staffer too,

But now I've finished Staffing, I don't know what to do,

I'm growing old and feable, and I can Staff no more,

So I'm going to work my ticket if I can.

Back to Gilwell, Happy Land;

Dancin

Anyone else here notice how Dancinfox, after being called on being out of Wood Badge Order, cut and run to being a STAFFER???

What's really interesting is what he said, though. C-40-05 started off with 55 students (7 of 7 and 1 of 6) and ended up with 53 (6 of 7, 1 of 6, and 1 of 5).

I thought 64 was the high end, but I see the logic of 48.

Sue,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad we don't have all kinds of cute emoticons here, or the below would work:

:woohoo:

John

I used to be an Owl

C-40-05