X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to the Methods of Venturing

According to the Venturing FAQ posted on the Program Update website, the methods of Venturing have been changed.

Was:

Leadership
    Group Activities
    Recognition
    Adult Association
    Ideals
    High Adventure
    Teaching Others

Is:

Leadership and Mentoring
    Group Activities and Adventure
    Recognition
    Adult Association
    Ideals
    Group Identity
    Service

Mentoring represents one of the leadership approaches of Venturing, both for Venturers and Advisors. Venturers guide other Venturers in the delivery of program and adventure; Advisors work largely as mentors to guide and encourage Venturers.

Group Identity recognizes that peer groups are essential for the growth and development of young adults. Group identity is the shared sense of belonging to a group with common values and serves as a means to build positive group interactions and self-confidence. In addition to beliefs and values, group identity includes common areas of interest and activity as well as symbols of that identity, which may include common clothing or other demonstrations of belonging.

Service encourages youth to identify a community need and to take action to address that need. Service helps youth make a difference in the world beyond themselves and in the process develop the disposition to put the needs of others first. Throughout its history, members of the Boy Scouts of America have provided service to others, and asserting Service as one of the methods of Venturing emphasizes its critical role in the movement.

Teaching, formerly a method, was recognized to be embedded in the method of leadership and mentoring, so the role of teaching others remains present in the program. The Ranger, Quest, and TRUST awards still retain requirements related to teaching others the skills learned.

Something went wrong with that link, here is the link to the FAQ, http://www.scouting.org/filestore/ve...turingFAQs.pdf

Comment

Links to .pdf's never seem to work with the "attachment wizard", better to cut-and paste.

"High Adventure" term got overused and was becoming synonymous with BSA HA bases. From where I sat, there were no high adventures -- just activities and super-activities, all of them were adventurous be they ever so humble.
      "Group Identity" sounds more like what I spend the bulk of my "Advisor minutes" on. (E.g., "Who are we really?" "Only this crew would pull off that <insert activity> the way all just did.")
      "Service" glad it's in there. Lot's of 18+-ers are looking for just that. Hope we can make it work for them.

Comment

So Qwazse, what is high enough adventure to be considered High Adventure where you are sitting?

Comment

Good question, char. Think of the BSA bases as training facilities. From there, I expect youth to come back with the confidence to pick an activity or series of activities that will be challenging and inspiring to other youth who for whatever reason are unable to be part of a Philmont/Seabase/Northern Tier/Bechtel contingent. With that vision, they develop a training program that over a year, will ensure that every participant will be physically and mentally prepared for the super activity. For outdoor-oriented crews this is still provides far wider opportunities (at much smaller budget) than the HA Bases could ever provide. Ice-climbing, cross-country dog-sledding, wilderness recreation area backpacking, challenge courses, circumnavigation of your state by bike or kayak, mission trips ... These are just a few of the ideas that I've heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by charmoc View Post
            So Qwazse, what is high enough adventure to be considered High Adventure where you are sitting?
            May I chip in on this one, too. From where "I'm sitting".... High Adventure for a Venturing Crew would be any activity that would push the envelop for the participants. If it were a group of young urbanites, maybe simply going camping for the first time would be a challenge. For those who ride bikes, maybe the Iowa RAGBRAI would be a challenge. Those big events are going on all over the place, but they aren't necessarily BSA supported. Maybe a Crew of naturalists would want to do a Yellowstone trip that focuses on flora and fauna. Same for the photography Crew.

High Adventure for one group is not going to cut it for another. And a high adventure trip that is too rigorous for one group might be child's play for another. One definition doesn't fit for all groups. For me high adventure is not a physical activity definition, but a psychological one. Relative to me... is this activity going to take me to the next step towards adventure? If the answer is yes, then it's high adventure.

Stosh

Comment

Thanks for your take on defining High Adventure. I too have felt that this term seems to get watered down from overuse, but in the end is finally defined by the Ventures themselves. I am optimistic that the new changes will help re-vitalize Venturing. Some things I do like are the group identity and recognition. Possibly this new award program will help keep the Ventures interested and active

Comment

Originally posted by charmoc View Post
                Thanks for your take on defining High Adventure. I too have felt that this term seems to get watered down from overuse, but in the end is finally defined by the Ventures themselves. I am optimistic that the new changes will help re-vitalize Venturing. Some things I do like are the group identity and recognition. Possibly this new award program will help keep the Ventures interested and active
                Too bad there isn't a Master of _________ award for Venturing. A photography Crew has a Master of Photography Award. Kinda like a MB on steroids. After all the crews are focused on interests, why not an award for that. Or maybe like a Doctorate program for UofS where the crew member does a major project in the field of their interest as an award. What's the sense of knowing ScoutCraft if it's a Photography Crew? Why should I worry about the Ranger award when I'm interested only in Cycling? Being relevant isn't one of Venturing's strong points.

Stosh

Comment

Working...
                X