Venturing Mentor Pin

I had the pleasure of attending my first ever Silver Award ceremony this weekend. It was for an outstanding young lady who staffed my NYLT course last fall. She's become quite the role model and a mover and shaker in our Council's Venturing program. She comes from a scouting family and can out-scout most boys I know. I was surprised and honored that she called me forward to present me with a Venturing Mentor pin. I have three Eagle Scout Mentor pins, but not a Venturing pin. I typically try to keep my uniform low key, but I do wear each of my mentor pins along with my Eagle Scout father pin on the left pocket flap. Do I look like a general from a banana republic? Probably. But if a boy....or girl thinks enough of me to consider me a mentor and honors me with a pin, I'm not going to disrespect them by not wearing it.

• Upvote 1

Congrats on getting the pin!

I have a question, though. I seem to recall some time ago when they first started making the Venturing Mentor pin available, that there was some discussion of the requirements for earning the pin, complaints that BSA had put out the pin without the requirements for earning it. I don't think anyone knew for sure if there WERE requirements, of what exactly the pin was for. For my own part, I wondered if the pin was just that: a mentor pin just like the Eagle Mentor pin. Does anyone know for certain?

I have a question, though. I seem to recall some time ago when they first started making the Venturing Mentor pin available, that there was some discussion of the requirements for earning the pin, complaints that BSA had put out the pin without the requirements for earning it. I don't think anyone knew for sure if there WERE requirements, of what exactly the pin was for. For my own part, I wondered if the pin was just that: a mentor pin just like the Eagle Mentor pin. Does anyone know for certain?

I'm filing your question under "Don't ask somebody for a rule. Otherwise you'll have one more rule in your life."

dhendron, that's an interesting question. But to me, it would be/should be like an Eagle mentor pin. I can't see such a pin being something that you fulfill requirements to be awarded. Someone either considers you their mentor or doesn't and uses it to recognize your contribution to their life. We have plenty of awards and knots that come with requirements. Mentor isn't one of them.

SR540 It is always an honor to get a mentor pin from a scout who holds you in high esteem. I would rather wear the five I have received over the years than any training awards I have, including WoodBadge. Congrats

• Upvote 1

dhendron, from the little bit of snooping I've done on the interwebs, it appears that there are some councils with a Venturing Mentor position. From what I looked at, it appears to be much like the Commissioner role in Boy Scouts.

http://www.fiverivers.org/venturing/mentors/mentor_overview_and_agreement_sheet.pdf

http://www.fiverivers.org/venturing/committee/mentor_profile_sheet.pdf

http://www.scoutstuff.org/venturing-mentor-emblem.html

dhendron, that's an interesting question. But to me, it would be/should be like an Eagle mentor pin. I can't see such a pin being something that you fulfill requirements to be awarded. Someone either considers you their mentor or doesn't and uses it to recognize your contribution to their life. We have plenty of awards and knots that come with requirements. Mentor isn't one of them.
I completely agree! I just seem to recall (and found some notes to the effect) that there were going to be requirements for the pin from comments on this forum (the comments being a gripe that National had issued the pin without the requirements for earning it). I recall thinking at the time that I hoped not, that it would be the same as the Eagle Mentor pin, perhaps given out to helpful individuals by a Silver recipient at his or her Court of Honor. I have lots of Eagle Mentor pins, and would be honored by any Scout who felt I had been helpful to him or her. Thanks for the comments, everyone!
  • 2 weeks later...

I would be interested to see it. I know there was a Mentoring program that was due for release but was cancelled before that happened. I thought the pins (rectangular and bronze colored) were for that. I can't seem to find them anywhere now that my daughter got her silver and wanted to present one at her CoH. Instead she made one herself in her jewelry class that she will present.

I would be interested to see it. I know there was a Mentoring program that was due for release but was cancelled before that happened. I thought the pins (rectangular and bronze colored) were for that. I can't seem to find them anywhere now that my daughter got her silver and wanted to present one at her CoH. Instead she made one herself in her jewelry class that she will present.
Well I thought I'd be clever and search images on Google and link to a picture of one. Guess what, can't find one. A Google search did take me to this document on the BSA website, http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33066_Section2.pdf. It lists the pin without a picture and even gives an item number. I went to scoutstuff and entered the item number. Nothing. It is bronze and it is rectangular'ish. The corners are not square. It's massive compared to the Eagle mentor pin. Not sure where the young lady who presented me with one got it. We do have an national scout shop in our council. Maybe it is old stock. Now I'm even prouder to have it as it appears to be a rare find!!! LOL
  • 2 weeks later...

Venturing Mentor pin, No. 14713; cloth strip, No. 18159; for completion of Mentoring Others course. I don't think they ever released that course... I found one now thatks to you! It was in a drawer at the Scout shop and not on the list, but it di have a price in he system - just no way to look itup ifyou did not know about it. will try post a picture. Wear it proudly SR540Beaver!

• Upvote 1

http://www.scouting.org/Training/Adult/Supplemental/Mentoring.aspx
Venturing Mentor pin, No. 14713; cloth strip, No. 18159; for completion of Mentoring Others course. I don't think they ever released that course... I found one now thatks to you! It was in a drawer at the Scout shop and not on the list, but it di have a price in he system - just no way to look itup ifyou did not know about it. will try post a picture. Wear it proudly SR540Beaver!

http://www.scouting.org/Training/Adult/Supplemental/Mentoring.aspx

I believe this was the training required to earn the pin...