When can my daughter join Venturing?

I could probably look up the answer to this question somewhere, but I would rather ask my friends. When can my daughter join Venturing? Does she have to turn 14? Is it a grade level? What if there is no crew in town? Can she register as a lone scout?

Age 14, or age 13 and completed 8th grade. Some crews do allow "remote venturers" although it's a real challenge for a youth to stay active. I would touch base with your council Venturing Officers Association (if they have one).

Actually 14 is the minimum age for Venturing, grade is not a factor, male or female especially with a young girl in a crew of boys and girls averaging 15-20 years of age. A 13 yo would feel out of place and probably still be too immature to function well in a crew, and would most likely drop out in a few months. Our high adventure crew is made up of mainly experienced former boy and girl scouts or youth who have had a lot of outdoor experiences. I have not heard of remote venturing especially since the program is not designed for a solo Venturer .

Thanks! My daughter is an active Girl Scout. I mostly want to get her registered as a Venturer so that she can get the scout discount for the Horse Trek (council activity), and we could go to Jamboree together and work on merit badges. You know, all the stuff I didn't get to do when I was her age. I know there is a Venturing crew in the district, but I think their meeting place is a 45-minutes drive from our home, so I might register her as a member of that crew, but she would likely make meetings rarely. We'l see, maybe someone will start a crew here. Maybe I will.

My friends have given me conflicting information, so I had to go look it up after all. From BeAScout.org:

"It's a coed program for teens and young adults ages 14–20 (or 13 and have completed the eighth grade) who are just like you."

Sorry, Baden.

Actually 14 is the minimum age for Venturing' date=' grade is not a factor, male or female especially with a young girl in a crew of boys and girls averaging 15-20 years of age. A 13 yo would feel out of place and probably still be too immature to function well in a crew, and would most likely drop out in a few months. Our high adventure crew is made up of mainly experienced former boy and girl scouts or youth who have had a lot of outdoor experiences. I have not heard of remote venturing especially since the program is not designed for a solo Venturer .[/quote']

Not Always always true. People are Individuals. Myself I always got a long with Older People. You don't have any personal knowledge of her skills or her aptitude towards outdoor Skills.

And your statement 14 is Minimum age is 14 is wrong also..13 is minimum age if 8th grade is completed.

One downfall of scouting is the Age Appropriate Skills and Events. Scouts who are not allowed to do stuff they want to do lose interest in Scouting

My friends have given me conflicting information, so I had to go look it up after all. From BeAScout.org:

"It's a coed program for teens and young adults ages 14–20 (or 13 and have completed the eighth grade) who are just like you."

Sorry, Baden.

I win! :D

To be fair, the reason BP hasn't heard of "remote venturing" is because I made up the term. But it happens a lot. A scout moves out of the neighborhood yet remains connected with the crew. I had one youth join us from another council because her plans were to leave home and she wasn't sure where she'd land and asked if she could join my crew so she could stay connected with venturing while she sorted it all out.

Other folks have called me in situations like yours asking if thier youth who just turned 14 could join our crew. To be honest, those haven't worked out as well. We don't have attendance requirements, but fellowship is a real important need of youth, and even if they don't admit it, there's something really important to be gained by being "in the room" as events are planned.

So, H, if you and your daughter are seriously considering this, you should also think about becoming a crew adivsor. Can you think of four or five other friends and caring adults who would like to do something similar to what you and your daughter are planning?

Actually 14 is the minimum age for Venturing' date=' grade is not a factor, male or female especially with a young girl in a crew of boys and girls averaging 15-20 years of age. A 13 yo would feel out of place and probably still be too immature to function well in a crew, and would most likely drop out in a few months. Our high adventure crew is made up of mainly experienced former boy and girl scouts or youth who have had a lot of outdoor experiences. I have not heard of remote venturing especially since the program is not designed for a solo Venturer .[/quote']

BP, this was changed a few years back to address the issue of some 9th graders that did not meet the age requirement.

From the Youth Application:

"Venturing Crew/Sea Scout Ship (Coeducational)- I submit my $15 registration fee for one year. I am at least 13 years of age and have completed the eighth grade or am 14 years of age and not yet 21. Must have parent/guardian approval if under 18 years of age."

As far as Lone Venturing, from the Guide to Advancement; "Lone Scouts is limited to Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting. Varsity Scouting, Venturing, and Sea Scouts do not offer equivalent experiences."

BP, this was changed a few years back to address the issue of some 9th graders that did not meet the age requirement.

From the Youth Application:

"Venturing Crew/Sea Scout Ship (Coeducational)- I submit my $15 registration fee for one year. I am at least 13 years of age and have completed the eighth grade or am 14 years of age and not yet 21. Must have parent/guardian approval if under 18 years of age."

As far as Lone Venturing, from the Guide to Advancement; "Lone Scouts is limited to Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting. Varsity Scouting, Venturing, and Sea Scouts do not offer equivalent experiences."

click,

That maybe the case however when National makes changes to Venturing it usually is not from an expertise point of view rather than bending to outside pressure from those few making a lot of noise. In our own crew which is a very physically demanding high pressure high adventure program we do not accept anyone under 14 based on advice we received from experts on youth and with intensive outdoor programs. The council SE who knows our program well agrees with this policy. Everyone who joins our crew is on a 3 month probation to insure that they are a good fit for the crew and vice versa. We have 80+ active youth right now and will probably have to create another crew because of all the inquiries we continue to receive.

Sometimes the issue of distance/councils doesn't apply. Due to the fact I had a very specialized crew, at one point we had crew members from 4 different councils from 3 different states. There were some that would travel 2-3 hours to get to our monthly meeting.

Thanks! My daughter is an active Girl Scout. I mostly want to get her registered as a Venturer so that she can get the scout discount for the Horse Trek (council activity), and we could go to Jamboree together and work on merit badges. You know, all the stuff I didn't get to do when I was her age. I know there is a Venturing crew in the district, but I think their meeting place is a 45-minutes drive from our home, so I might register her as a member of that crew, but she would likely make meetings rarely. We'l see, maybe someone will start a crew here. Maybe I will.
wow that speaks volumes

I mostly want to get her registered as a Venturer so that she can get the scout discount for the Horse Trek

My daughter will join an all girl crew in one of the better parts of town. We have met with the advisors and the unit......She has gone and attended an event with them for the day......She likes the current members and they seem to like her.......

She is chomping at the bit. on another year....She is dying to attend the jambo next time.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Nothing stops you from contacting your local scout sponsor and starting a crew with her and her friends.. Start it with them young and it makes the recruiting easier. They do not earn merit badges however they have awards of their own that they can earn. One of my duaghters is getting her Ranger on Tuesday and the other one started her journey this year.

Actually 14 is the minimum age for Venturing' date=' grade is not a factor, male or female especially with a young girl in a crew of boys and girls averaging 15-20 years of age. A 13 yo would feel out of place and probably still be too immature to function well in a crew, and would most likely drop out in a few months. [/quote']

Incorrect, according to the rules, correct realistically.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Venturing.aspx

Venturing is a youth development program of the Boy Scouts of America for young men and women who are 14 years of age OR 13 years of age and have completed the eighth grade and under 21 years of age. Venturing's purpose is to provide positive experiences to help young people mature and to prepare them to become responsible and caring adults.