Venturing Training Update

All-

This is going around the net, and there is an updated October 2010 training update at the National site that has this info. Just in case some haven't seen it, am posting it here. For those aware of the changes occuring, this is not unexpected.

=========cut here============

Venturing Leadership Skills Course (VLSC) is being replaced by a new course entitled Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or ILSC. Originally the title was to be Crew Leadership Training (CLT) and during the review of the syllabus, the writers agreed the title Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews was a more fitting title and described the course more accurately.

The purpose of ILSC is to teach crew members with leadership positions what their new job is and how to most effectively reach success in that role.

ILSC is intended to help Venturers in leadership positions within their crew understand their responsibilities and equip them with organizational and leadership skills to fulfill those responsibilities. ILSC is the first course in the series of leadership training offered to Venturers and is a replacement for VLSC. Completion of this course is a prerequisite for Venturers to participate in the more advanced leadership courses National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) and the National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience (NAYLE). It is also required for Kodiak.

You may ask, "Why the change...?" The goal is to have a uniform, aligned training platform for all programs so that those Scouters may transition smoothly from one course to the next regardless of what type of unit they belong to. All but the intro is now "program neutral" and each course needs the same basic info as prerequisite.

The Volunteer Development Team expects this course to be released to the Scouting community within 30 days. Watch the training page on scouting.org for updates.

Training page: www.scouting.org/volunteer/training

emb021

Aside from the title change I really do not see much of a difference between the two trainings. If the VLSC syllabus was used it is a uniform training no different from ILSC, IMO this is just more nonsense and unnecessary change for the sake of change from National that serves no real purpose. Then they wonder why Venturing doesn't get any respect, it is because those *&%$ at National have no real vision or even a basic understanding of what Venturing is supposed to be about. Kodiak is nothing more then additional leadership skills done in conjunction with a high adventure trip. Sorry to disagree with you but this is the kind of lack of direction that will lead to the eventual death of Venturing.

"Aside from the title change I really do not see much of a difference between the two trainings. If the VLSC syllabus was used it is a uniform training no different from ILSC, IMO this is just more nonsense and unnecessary change for the sake of change from National that serves no real purpose."

Having done VLSC and having read over the beta version of ILSC, there is a big difference between the 2 courses. ILSC was created as a venturing version of TLT. Its focus is on the crew leaders, not all the venturers, as VLSC was. It spends time on crew organization and positions, which VLSC lacked, and tacks on the poorly done servant leader training from TLT.

Whether or not its unnecessary, you need to understand what's going on. National, with their recent re-org that got rid of the program division, feels that the end-all be-all of training is WB and "WBjr", NYLT. Hence, they want both Boy Scouts and Venturers to go to NYLT. So Venturing youth training must come in line with Boy Scout training. So VLSC goes away in favor of the venturing version of TLT, ILSC, and Kodiak & Kodiak-X gets pushed aside as "just" experiental leadership training.

"Then they wonder why Venturing doesn't get any respect, it is because those *&%$ at National have no real vision or even a basic understanding of what Venturing is supposed to be about."

Its worse then that.

Since they got rid of the program division (no more "silos", if you are familiar with that term from the corporate world), we now have what I call "function silos", who don't seem to talk with each other. We have 3 people in different groups doing "venturing", and they aren't necessary talking to each other. And I bet the National Venturing Cabinet is frustrated, as they are under only one of those 3, and have no say over the other 2.

"Sorry to disagree with you but this is the kind of lack of direction that will lead to the eventual death of Venturing."

Sorry, but what are you disagreeing with me about??? I didn't express a view, just passing along information. Everything below "cut here" is from the original message, not my word. Don't assume you know my feelings on this. I've only really expressed them to people off-line.

emb021

Sorry to imply that you agreed with these changes, your last post shows me you are not too happy either by what has been going on with Venturing at National. IMHO, the way National is heading the Venturing program is in serious trouble, with a TOTAL lack of vision and direction. I truly hope Sea Scouting stays independent from this fiasco with their long history and scouting tradition. With these changes of mixing troop patrol leaders with crew officers for training purposes then Venturing becomes nothing more than an extended Venture Patrol which was not the original intent behind the creation of the program. One size fits all training does nothing more than dilute the quality of that training and the quality of the information given out since Cub,Scout,and Venturing leaders all have very program specific needs and questions. It really amazes me just how much of Mazzuca's reorganization of National and his changes in all aspects of the scouting program have been and will continue to be so detrimental to todays scouting. Too bad you can't impeach a CSE.

Okay guys, spare us the Bob bashing. He's "winning" with the boys I know. They love him. (And, yes, they know he used a stunt double. He told them straight up when they asked.)

Anyway, it sounds like I won't have to hold a "crew officers briefing" anymore. If that's chapter 1 of ILSC, I make 'em read it and move on from there.

Honestly there is nothing in the old VLSC that I would not hesitate to use for PL training. So, I have no problem with making the overlap explicit.

So Kodiak's still going to be around? Good! Cause I still want to trek!

Hey can somebody figure out how to deliver WB21 on a trek?