Why not go back to candy bars. I remember selling a ton of those things. Started out at .50 cents when i left the were $2 with a $1 coupon. Just think how many could be sold. Also you could sell more as people would not think that to expensive. The issue with popcorn is the cost. i Know for a fact that my girl scout sells a ton of cookies because they cost $3.50. If scouts actually want to raise money to help scouts go to camp. Than they need to sell products that sell quick and lots of it. I made enough money selling that candy to afford my camp and yearly fees plus help other scouts.

We do this. Unfortunately so do a lot of other folks, so the return isn't all that great. I recommend contacting a producer local to your area. Ours is Sarris candies and they have sales programs tailored to fundraisers.

chocolate melts in summer weather

maybe when soda pop is on sale at 12 cans for $2.50 to $3 stock up. Get a wagon, a cooler chest, some ice, set in the cans and look for crowds. Sidewalk vending permits aren't that expensive. Oh yes, get some paper wrapped plastic straws for the ladies

An elderly couple I met sells homemade ice cream at music festivals. Their ice cream makers are belt driven by old one cylinder farm engines with the flywheel (flywheel is about 18 to 20 inches and has a guard over it).

Down South someone always seems to be selling boiled peanuts in front of Wal-Mart

Our council used to have the Katherine Beich (sp?) candy bar program years ago. We found out that the distributor was located in the next town over...make a phone call, show up with a check, and back the pickup truck up to the loading dock. :)

Candy bars, Ha!!

I still remember the troop of my halcyon youth selling donuts. ScoutDads would go down to the Krispy Kreme in Silver Spring and come back with station wagons full of , oh, maybe a thousand dozen WARM donuts. They must have arranged this in advance. We Scouts would gather at the church at 7am on the Saturday morning, divvy up the donuts and proceed thru the neighborhoods (each patrol had routes), and knock on doors! In Uniform! One car, two Scouts, a fifty or so dozen donuts. OOOO that car smelled good. "Good morning, would you like to buy a dozen fresh donuts to help Scout Troop xyz? " Often, we would be told, "hey, we've been waiting for you! Why don't you come

round more often?" Rare was the door that did not buy a dozen (or three!) , still warm, gooey, fresh donuts on Saturday morning. We would do this maybe three times a year.

I have to wonder about the logic in it..... if you sell an item for say $2, I guess the most you can expect to profit is $1.

True, the corn is expensive and NOBODY likes it, but it still sells....... and it seems like you've got to sell a lot of bars to equal what you take form one bag of corn..... even after council's cut.

We do some concessions at some (drunken bacchanal) parades. We often have the lowest prices (we don't gouge) and do pretty good business. We also did camp-cards from council but it entirely depends on if there is a good deal with it. (one year it it was $5 and you got $15 off pool supplies at a store. we sold tons outside that store as it had offers as well.

The Girl Scout cookies sell, but they make crap margins. Popcorn and Camp Cards have great margins (33%, 50%) plus prizes for Popcorn (or 40% if you don't do the prizes)... Girl Scout cookies are 15% margin.

Honestly, at $4/box, the local price, and how small the boxes have gotten, it's not a good deal and left people feeling upset despite wanting to support girl scouts and the good will from years where the cookies WERE a good deal.

All the money is going to administration and overhead and pensions, very sad.

We sell peanuts. 12 oz bag for 3 dollars or 2 bags for 5. We buy the nuts wholesale at about 1.30 a bag. Peanuts don't melt and they have about a 90 day shelf life so if we don't get them sold one weekend, we can do another booth in a week or two and not lose money on inventory going bad.

I will buy a 4 dollar box of cookies or 2 dollar candy bar if a kid comes to the door and has the product. Once you get over $10 it depends on the organization or if I know the kid. I have found that if you have the product available it sell much better than taking orders. It is also easier on the scout since they do not need to make multi trips to deliever the product.

some one would need to do the math is it easier to sell 5 boxes of cookies or 1 bag of pop corn or 20 candy bars.