% of popcorn earnings that comes back to the unit?

Hello, sorry if this has been answered a thousand times before. In our pack committee, we are all relatively new in our leadership positions, and our popcorn kernel/treasurer resigned last year. Our dist exec told us that 70% come back to “local scouting†--- but I’m not sure about that actual number. My understanding is that the “70%†includes council’s skim off the top, etc.

We need the actual % number to set our fundraising goals.

Thanks in advance --- Kevin

The actual percentage your unit receives is determined by the council. I have seen from 30 to 35% back to the unit. Our council lets the unit forgo prizes and receive a higher percentage back. The council does not recommend that approach because they believe the boys are then not as motivated to sell.

Again talk to your District Kernal or DE. The unit's percentage is determined by the council. As mentioned, some councils give a high percentage if no prizes are awarded.

My council has a program where if you a scout signs up for it, the council sets up an "account" where all of the money goes into the pot for HA or Jambo. Catch is, if you don't use it, you lose it.

Had a trails end rep at our roundtable. He explained that the council sets the price for each item and what items to carry. Thus the product and price difference between the sell sheet and online sales. Last year online prices were about $4 higher plus shipping charges and had some products we did not have locally.

Our council sells Trails End. Last year, the amount of commission varied by product within a 27-32% range. This year, the sales commission started at a flat 31% with a 1% bonus for attending popcorn training and an additional 3% given in lieu of prizes. Trails End is no longer offering prizes and the prize fulfillment is through the scout shop. I think these are excellent changes.

Kevin, your district Popcorn Kernel should have your answer and is probably more accessible than your DE. I suggest making that person your best friend, a big part of the job is answering questions. You'll have lots more. :D

I am looking at our Council's Popcorn Kernel Sales Guidebook:

With incentives (prizes)--29% gross unit sales or 31% if sales over $4000 or 33% for sales over $6000

Without incentives--33% of gross unit sales or 35% if sales over $4000 or 37% for sales over $6000

Commissions are reduced after Dec 2 if monies are not turned in on time with 0% commission after Dec. 31.

We sell Campmasters. Online sales via the website were a bust as the shipping costs as much as the product. So, we are not advertising online sales for out-of-town relatives this year.

As suggested, check with your District Exec for the name of your District Popcorn Kernel---ask if there is a Popcorn Kernel training coming up soon or if you missed it. You also need to get a hold of your Popcorn Kernel materials as it has the commissions listed as well as all the sales/money deadlines, popcorn distribution dates, etc. Obviously, every Council operates differently, so you need your specific numbers to determine your sales goals.

Well I stand corrected!

I thought that it depended on the product, since the bags were marked with different percentages.... some say 70% stays "local", others had different numbers.

Went to popcorn school last night. Our council awards a 30% commission if the lands end prizes are awarded, and a 35% commission if the unit elects no prizes.

Well I stand corrected!

I thought that it depended on the product, since the bags were marked with different percentages.... some say 70% stays "local", others had different numbers.

Went to popcorn school last night. Our council awards a 30% commission if the lands end prizes are awarded, and a 35% commission if the unit elects no prizes.

"Lands end" prizes. That's funny. Must be in an upscale council.