Your individual patrols should be raking in plenty of money nowadays. Go to the Big Box, buy a 24-pack of bottled water for $2.87, dig out the cooler chest and the little red wagon, stop and get some ice and sell that Ice Cold Bottled Water for $1.00 Donation at intersections, city parks, bus stops, construction sites, wherever else people gather. Repeat as necessary and they'll have Scout fees earned in no time. Don't forget the hats and sunscreen

But what about the environment...
I'm not being judgmental. I've been known to buy the water bottles when it's convenient. I just have a real issue with our throw-away society and all the waste that plastic water bottles generate. I've been to the recycling center at the local landfill and have seen all the effort, cost, and manpower that goes into recycling, so just knowing that they will be turned into a recycling center isn't enough. I'd really like to see us cut down all the waste at the source. As Scouts, do we take advantage of society's throw-away attitude and capitalize on it or do we try to set a better example and provide an alternative?

We were going to do that for our metro areas 4th of july festival.......

made a few calls and we needed a vendor permit for the vent which was $500 and then none of the boys under 16 could sell it. Oh btw does anyone in your group hold a saniserv certification.

Our town does not distingish selling bottles factory sealed water verse making phili steaks on a cart.....

made a few calls and we needed a vendor permit for the vent which was $500 and then none of the boys under 16 could sell it. Oh btw does anyone in your group hold a saniserv certification.

Our town does not distingish selling bottles factory sealed water verse making phili steaks on a cart.....

saniserv not needed our area as in factory sealed package. am surprised you were not given charity rate for the event. consider my suggestions for locations. you may need a (sidewalk) peddeler's permit which is not that expensive, but can't imagine anyone bothering a small group of kids doing this on their own
  • 4 weeks later...

Girl Scouts ticketed for selling cookies in a parking lot:

“An officer wrote the group of mostly 8-year-old girls a ticket for soliciting without a permit."

http://www.photodude.com/weblog/2001/march/13_dekalb_county_cops_bust_girl_scouts.shtml

The tickets were rescinded after public outcry. I'd say go for it!

Teaching moment about gubbiment.

Generally we have not had luck with car washes.........Of course some bad luck....The HS Flag corp was in bikini's up the block washing cars.....

Yikes!

Looking for a silver lining here. Is there anything to prevent the Bikini Girls from selling and the Scouts from washing? (Cars) Split the proceeds?

Troop and Committee have had it with popcorn. We were eating Trails End leftovers at Summer Camp. That's one way to appreciate your clientss dissatisfaction...

Generally we have not had luck with car washes.........Of course some bad luck....The HS Flag corp was in bikini's up the block washing cars.....

I agree there has got to be a better way than popcorn.

I liked the idea of a single day selling bottled water and soda at the Metro areas. Fourth of July festival......I have a parent working on it now..... Our local grocery change will donate the chains brand of water......He is working on the soda distributor for a reduced price or donation......

I have a call into my city council man and the board of health to try to figure out exactly what needs to happens for the permit......I can see us raising all we need from this event to pay for our entire year of programing in about a 10 hour period.

$500? Wow. Our town gives us those festival-only permits for free! Luckily, one of our ASMs has the required "ServSafe" certification. (That's what it's called here). Should he retire, we plan on building that training and cert into our budget for one committee member if we have to.