National Jamboree Funding

Remember any money you raise like this needs to be reported as income....why not go mow a wa few yards or recycle some aluminum cans. Or put an add for yard work or painting.... asking for donations is lazy
I should use that line the next time the FOS rep comes to our Pack meeting. Lol

My $0.02 is that you'll likely get a much better response rate if you told us about yourself - are you a youth or adult member? Folks are more likely to dig deep if there's a story that goes along with the request. Things like what have you done to raise money so far? What's your Scouting experience been like to date? Either as an adult or a boy working towards Eagle? We're just around the corner from the Jamboree and the Scouters in this area, youth and adult alike, have been raising money left and right for the last year. Our Council has 200+ youth attending at probably at least that many adults that are Scoutmasters, staffers, etc.

Good luck - look up the funny looken' guy on the rifle range - that would be me. :)

A quote

"In July I will be attending the National Jamboree for Boy Scouts. There are still a few things that I need to get and I need some money for the road. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. Please help by funding."

Makes me warm and fuzzy about donating

So With 800 friends on Facebook the lad has yet to raise $1.

"A Scout is Thrifty: A Scout works to pay his own way and to help others. He saves for the future. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property."

Maybe your neighbors need some yardwork done here in the middle of Spring. Maybe some families you know need a house sitter. Maybe McDonald's is hiring. Maybe there's time to sell the heck out of some popcorn or camp cards.

Sure, I'll donate to you. But you also need to donate to my daughter's Jambo fund. She is doing extra chores, babysitting, etc... to cover her costs.

Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go out and earn them.

My $0.02 is that you'll likely get a much better response rate if you told us about yourself - are you a youth or adult member? Folks are more likely to dig deep if there's a story that goes along with the request. Things like what have you done to raise money so far? What's your Scouting experience been like to date? Either as an adult or a boy working towards Eagle? We're just around the corner from the Jamboree and the Scouters in this area, youth and adult alike, have been raising money left and right for the last year. Our Council has 200+ youth attending at probably at least that many adults that are Scoutmasters, staffers, etc.

Good luck - look up the funny looken' guy on the rifle range - that would be me. :)

Forget telling us about yourself ... what about that locomotive in your picture? What's it's guage, HP, years of service? Which lines does it run? Was it steam or diesel? Are you riding it to Jambo?

The funny part is that is part of his play train set in his back yard.....

Dad told him that the money has been cut off and he needed to earn his way

His response was to have a donation drive on the internet

• 3 weeks later...

First, I hope he comes back to read these. AND I hope he comes back to participate in these forums as he is able.

Ditto all the above. If you are a worthy subject for charity (and that's what this is, a request for charity), you might apply to your local faith congregation, your local Lions Club or American Legion, Kiwanis, etc. They all have been known to help local kids attend worthy activities such as building ministries, schools, camps.... Check with your mom and dad, maybe THEY can LOAN you some money... I paid mine back when I was older and able for all they did for me. I painted their house, fixed heir cars, took'em places when they were old and feeble, invited them to my wedding, stuff like that. Service clubs and churches often look at such "grants" as investments in a young fellows future, expecting it will "pay off" some time in the future. Hope yours will. Your future that is, pay off....