Camping with BSA contest

The story of the 3 boys was nice, couldn't get to the link within the site for the contest though as it would only let people who had Foxfire browsers to enter.. I'm not about to load down a browser I don't use just to see one site.

So can you post the info about the contest here?

The site also works with Opera and Safari in addition to Firefox and Chrome. Apparently someone who develops web sites doesn't like IE (although, where I work, that would pretty much include everyone).

Go Camping with the Boy Scouts of America Contest Official Rules

Eligibility: No purchase is necessary to enter or claim prize. Go Camping with the Boy Scouts of America Contest (the Contest) is open to anyone who (i) is a legal U.S. resident, and (ii) is at least eighteen (18) years of age. Employees of IZEA Holdings, Inc. (Sponsor), Boy Scouts of America and Participating Blogs, and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, advertising agencies, and the families and persons living in the same household as such employees, are not eligible to participate. The Contest is subject to all federal, state, and local laws. Void where prohibited or restricted by law or regulations.

How To Enter:

1.) Leave a comment on this blog post explaining why you think its beneficial for a child to become a Scout

2.) Tweet out a message that links back to the blog post & contains the hashtag #beascout

Participating Blogs:

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/scoutmastermusings.asp

http://www.southernsavers.com/

http://iammommahearmeroar.blogspot.com

The Contest begins at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on October 5, 2011 and ends at 11:59 p.m. EST on October 19, 2011 (the Contest Period). Entries will not be acknowledged.

Selection Of Winners: At the end of the Contest Period 3 entrants will be selected by the Sponsor from the eligible pool of entries. The odds of winning depend upon the number of entries received. One entry by blog post comment and one entry by tweet per contest participant.

All winners will be notified by email on or about three (3) days after the applicable weekly entry period ends. The decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest. All winners will be required to sign and return to Sponsor an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within fourteen (14) days of the date of winning notification; otherwise the prize will be forfeited, and a new winner will be randomly selected.

Prizes (3): Winners will receive a Camping Package. Total approximate retail value (ARV) of all prizes: $1,500.00. All federal, state, and local taxes, and all other expenses not expressly listed above are the sole responsibility of the winners. Prize is nontransferable and may not be substituted or redeemed for cash by winner. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize for one of equal or greater value.

Release of Liability: By participating, you release Sponsor, Boy Scouts of America and their subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, employees, directors, agents, advertising agencies, and all other associated with the development and execution of this Contest, from any and against any and all injury, loss or damage caused or claimed to be caused by your participation in the Contest and/or the acceptance, awarding, receipt, use and/or misuse of the prize, and you agree that these entities are in no matter responsible for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to the Contest and/or the awarding of any prize. Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event that the preceding release is determined by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or void for any reason, entrant agrees that, by entering the Contest, (i) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action; (ii) any claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorneys fees; and (iii) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than damages for actual out-of-pocket expenses.

Additional Rules: Entrant agrees to hold harmless Sponsor, its officers, directors, employees, divisions, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotional agencies, from any claim by any third party relating to any rights in any blog registered with RealRank. By participating in the Contest, entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements and all decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest. Sponsor is not responsible for: (i) lost, late, misdirected, damaged, garbled or illegible entries/registrations; (ii) error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry/registration materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, or inaccurate transmission of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or any combination thereof; or (iii) any injury or damage to entrants or any other persons computer related to or resulting from participating in the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to: (i) permanently disqualify from any contest it sponsors any person it believes has intentionally violated these official rules; and (ii) suspend, modify or terminate the Contest if Sponsor believes, in its sole discretion, that malfunction, error, disruption or damage is impairing or will impair the administration, security, fairness, integrity of the Contest. If Contest is terminated before the end date, Sponsor will determine the winner from all eligible entries received as of the termination date. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any unauthorized entries, including, without limitation, multiple entries from the same person. Entering the Contest constitutes permission to use the name, voice, photo, and likeness of the winner for advertising and publicity purposes, without further compensation.

LEGAL WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL, WHETHER OR NOT AN ENTRANT, TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE, DESTROY, TAMPER OR VANDALIZE THIS WEB SITE OR INTERFERE WITH THE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST, IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND DILIGENTLY PURSUE ALL REMEDIES AGAINST ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.

Winners Name: For names of winners, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope, (postage not required for Vermont residents) to: 150 N. Orange Avenue, Suite 412, Orlando, Florida 32801.

So I see no real camping involved.. Just Blogging and tweeting... High Ho, for the electronic age.. What does this have to do with scouts at all.. It might as well be "Go Dancing with Miss Piggy!"

Seriously, what benefit is this to scouting???

Developing a website that won't work with a certain browser is like operating an autobody shop that won't fix Chevys because the owner doesn't like the design of the console. It's stupid and short-sighted.

IE still has more than a third of the Internet usage market. That's an awful lot of customers to be thumbing their noses at. And for the BSA to be partnering with such a site is stupid and short-sighted, too.

I think it's a fine idea for a contest, but I would point out the following:

1) It is NOT a BSA contest. Read the fine print for the sponsors. I see no real connection to BSA, we hope Irving has really given permission to use the name.

2) You "win" a "camping package" . I haven't seen what that means. Cash check? A scholarship to a camp? 2 1/2 sleeping bags? What?

3) Yep, it is a computer internet contest, almost like a chain letter, it is a SWEEPSTAKES, a LOTTERY, a RAFFLE, but without a monetary entry fee. Is this gambling? I guess not, it is not raising money for a Scout entity, doesn't cost anything to enter, just internet access and an appropriate browser, yowser.

4) And, I guess the old saw of "well, somebody has to win it, might as well be me" applies here.

5) But I haven't liked the way GChrome took over my screen when I inadvertantly hit the wrong button using GoogleEarth. And Foxfire is a questionmark in some folks that I trust, and IE hasn't done me wrong yet, so I guess I'll just wait for Publishers Clearing House to knock on my door.

I think they are just jumping on the blog giveaway bandwagon. It's advertising for the products, the organization and for the blogs. I see similar giveaways all the time on the cooking, crafting and mommy blogs I read.

I'm signed up. ;o)