RedRobin fundraiser?

Anyone do this as a fund raiser? Redrobin will donate 15% of food sales if you present them with a card that you received from a scout on a particular day.

It seems like a nice easy fundraiser for the "inbetween" time between a couple major fundraisers. I figure if we get a couple hundred bucks, it'll be worth it....

anyone do this fundraiser? what was your approx gain? Just generally, over $100? over $500? anywhere near $1000? wow, $1000 would be really nice fo rsure!

thanks!

Mike B

Ask yourself this: How's the economy in your area? How many folks in your Troop or acquaintance ( the boys pass out R/R tickets, yes?) will go out to eat on your day? Family needs to spend , oh, $10 (more!), each, to feed the gang, and you expect 15% of that, BEFORE tax and tip? And how do the boys learn about "paying my way" ? Do they put forth any effort in this?

I might ask R/R to help with my B&G banquet, but not that kind of fundraising. I see this as a donation, not a Scout fundraiser.

We were going to have the boyscouts hand out the tickets during candy bar sale the weekend before. We were also going to have the boys participate that evening at RedRobin doing anything they could.

I'm thinking it's worth the little bit of effort for a little bit extra gain for the troop.

Do the math backwards. To net $500 for your troop, you'd have to have more than 80 families going on the same night and spending a minimum of $40 on average. To get $1,000, you'd have to snag more than 160 families. Is either doable? You're not going to get every family in your troop on that one night. And figure only a handful of outsiders, unless Red Robin is the happenin' place around your town.

Not to be a downer, but the average person to whom your Scouts give them is going to politely say "Oh, thanks," stick the card on their fridge and forget about it. The pitch they're going to take away will be "Please buy an overpriced candy bar, and then go eat at this restaurant that you might not normally eat at to help the Boy Scouts - only on this certain night." They get no benefit at all from it - there's no discount to the customer.

SeattlePioneer,

Why would a business want to give customers a discount if they were already planning to go into Red Robin...the idea is to get people to come to Red Robin who were not planning on coming in. hence the fundraiser pitch.

The ones I know about will not let you hand out fliers out front.

I don't really care for this kinda fundraiser personally, but I see a year-long Talley for non-profits (sales) at the local BBQ joint. I think they pay off a % at the end of the year.

Our local Catholic grade school did these at various restaurants in the area. The restaurants would let the kids stand outside and had out coupons as long as they did not bother the customers. The kids, would work clean up inside, with parents supervising. The kids/parents would wear school shirts, and the business would advertise the fundraiser on their signs. It was a win for the restaurant in extra business and adding to their rep as being a community supporter. It was a win for our school as it gave them some added funds.

A few problems I see with a Scout unit doing this -

You should not wear your Scout uniform during this event. Unless you get permission from your Council SE which I do not see happening.

The donation from the restaurant would not be tax-deductible if simply made out to your unit. If your Charter Organization (owner) is a 501©(3) non-profit they would have to make the check out to them, and use their EIN in order to be able to claim it on their Federal tax return. This could get sticky.

Scouts are NOT supposed to solicit money.

Are you planning on turning in a BSA Unit Money-Earning Application to this fundraiser approved by your council? If so, you might wait and see what your council has to say.

Exibar: Who is your CO? Do they do a dinner or movie night or pancake breakfast? Perhaps the Scout unit they sponsor could offer to help out at that and be rewarded with a share of the profits. The Unit helps serve the CO, The CO gets help, the folks visiting the fundraiser see the Scouts, the Scouts feel good helping, they are doing "work" to earn their unit's share of the profit, hey, win-win.