Honor Guard position patch

New position patch - "Honor Guard." But it goes on the right sleeve: http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2015/01/27/honor-guard-patch/#more-31938

• A half-inch under the patrol emblem (aka “position 3″)
    OR
  • Right under (and touching) the Journey to Excellence unit award.

It is suggested that we be sure the Scout shop has the patch in stock before making a buying trip.

Boy, that on-line uniform and insignia site would be a nice thing to have delivered on.

Boy Scout: Hey Mister, you know you got your flag hung up wrong? Archie Bunker: Now listen, Boy Scout - you're talkin' to a veteran of World War II. This is the way we used to hang the flag on the fire.

Boy Scout: You were doin' it wrong. The stars are supposed to go in the other corner. You want me to hang it the right way for ya?

Archie Bunker: Uhhh, yeah yeah, all right. You could do that. But uh, listen - no tip, that ain't a good deed.

Boy Scout: [picks up the flag off the hanger and notices the swastika painted on the door underneath] Hey Mister, you know you got a swastika on your door?

Archie Bunker: Awwwww, sheeeesshhhh... gimme the flag, kid, now GET LOST, HAH?

I read some of the comments below the blog post and there was an official-looking comment (not sure how actually official it was) that said it is up to the unit to determine when and for how long the patch is to be worn.

It seems to me that this is intended for units that have "honor guard" as more than just a momentary assignment. Our troop does not. I suppose the Scouts could velcro the patch on while they are participating in a flag ceremony, but it seems to me that the fact that they are carrying the flag or "guarding" the flag is probably a good enough clue that they are part of the honor guard, without needing a patch that says so.

I realize this is a thread about the patch but...

Just today we buried a long-time Scouter and had no Scout honor guard--probably because it was a Wednesday afternoon during school. At any rate, the memorial service was nice and there were many Scouters in uniform. I was honored to be asked to play Taps at the graveside because it meant a lot to the family. Our Scouter friend had touched the lives of countless thousands of people through our region.

A fellow Scoutmaster and I discussed the idea of having a district or council Honor Guard of Scouts who could be called upon to serve at funerals such as this one. With as many young musicians as we must all have in our units, I think it should be relatively easy to find a Scout who could be trained to play a bugle or trumpet.

Do any of you have experience with this?

• Upvote 1

With the number of WW II veterans passing the shortage of buglers is a on-going serious problem. With the bugle only ceremonial, it's becoming pretty much obsolete in today's world.

Stosh

There is an organization called Bugles Across America which is a registry of buglers who volunteer to play real bugles at veteran funerals. When some one requests a bugler, a notification is sent out and some one volunteers to take the request. I was on the registry for several years but never saw a request which was inside a two hour drive.

My fault. I was not clear. There was an announcement that a site giving all the rules about uniforms and insignia would be up and running a couple of years ago. The current "Guide" and been patched and patched, and is not a particularly complete or useful tool.

Oh! Yeah, that interactive site? Terrible.