Who Among Us Wears a Smokey Bear/Campaign hat?

Just curious how many of you Scouts and Scouters wear the wide-brimmed Smokey Bear/campaign hat with pride. I love my BSA Stetson campaign hat and think it looks snappy...and, yes, I know the wide brim is good to keep the sun off...and snow...and rain...But it does look snappy!

Also, it didn't always fit snuggly until I put two books of matches in the back. (That's a tip I learned from Along the Mohawk Trail, a book recommended by Stosh.)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow ... what I day I just had.   Today, as it happens, is my birthday. I woke up in the morning, and found banners and balloons all over my front yard, which was a total surprise. Then this afternoo

Here it is! I couldn't wait to throw on the full uniform, so here is the hat at least. It's a perfect fit too; I am so excited to wear this to the next pack meeting!  

I'd wear a campaign hat, but I'm too thrifty (read, cheap) to purchase one. 

Posted Images

I mostly wear one of the two campaign hat I have. The one I earned for completing Brownsea 22 back in the day has been through hurricanes, numerous camp outs, and shot at by German Scouts (don't ask ;) ) is what I mostly wear as it has been "used and abused." Plus it's a great reminder for me when I do archery and bb guns with Cubs. The one I received for staffing JLT is in a hat press and pristine condition, so it' used for ceremonies.

I also wear on occasion the expedition hat, aka "Indiana Jones" becasue it is as good as the smokey, and is crushable, making it easier to wear when I play "pack mule" on family Cub Scout camp outs.

However, since "cold" is a 4 letter word for me, I will very shortly be wearing my toque when camping. :p

I wear hats all the time' date=' but when in scout uniform it's either the campaign hat or the expedition hat. [b']Hate the baseball caps, totally worthless in the outdoors.[/b]

Stosh

Not bald on top yet, are you? (^___^)

I would but it's like $100 bucks yikes!!!

Yeah, it's expensive but it sure beats having sunburned ears. :D And there are several places where you could get a Rothco version, but eBay is also good for finding vintage ones. Some aren't even worn and just waiting for you to break it in on a Scouting adventure with your Troop/Pack/Crew.

Wore one (an army surplus knock off) when our troop went to Philmont in 1977 (prescribed uniform item for the contingent). Didn't wear it on the trail. It got crushed a couple months later' date=' haven't worn one since.[/quote']

Sorry you had such a bad experience with yours! ;) A crushed campaign hat ain't the worst, though. I'm sure you've seen the photos of the Scouts of the 1920s. Their campaign hats were all messed up.

However, since "cold" is a 4 letter word for me, I will very shortly be wearing my toque when camping. :p

We NOLA boys don't like the cold do we? ;) Having been in WI for 11 years now I'm no longer afraid of winter. In fact, I embrace it. But the toque definitely comes in handy on those cold-weather outings.

With a head size something north of a Size 8 and still sporting a full' date=' thick head of hair (eat your hearts out), I don't wear hats much. Hoods or stocking caps are about all I can get to fit without doing a custom order.[/quote']

The most recent Eagle from my Troop also has an enormous head and he made himself a straw hat at summer camp. It became his signature "thing" and he rocked it!

Stout,

The ones issed to me by my then council were government surplus ones, not official ones. I did buy the BSA leather chin strap for the "nice" cover, but my "used" cover still has a bootlace for the chin strap. I've replaced the bootlace once since 1988.

As for the leather hat band, you can buy them from national. But both of mine are British ones from BP House and have been branded at one of the camps I worked at. I also picked up some plumes while I was over there.

So unless you look really close at my "nice" hat, you can't tell it is not the official BSA one. And with the exception of the black shoelace, my "used" hat looks 100% official too.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with yours! ;) A crushed campaign hat ain't the worst, though. I'm sure you've seen the photos of the Scouts of the 1920s. Their campaign hats were all messed up.

LeCastor, you are spot on about those old campaign hats--dusty, soiled, shaped all kinds of ways on accident or by the owner. That's the way they should be.

My hat? I should have used a different word than "crushed"--I think "destroyed" would be a better choice. Our family moved right after my trip to Philmont and the packing company did quite a number on my hat. Just had to throw it away.

As far as replacing it? Well, we had moved from AZ to AK. I wore a toque most of the time in the outdoors. So I didn't miss my old hat much. Then as a scouter (starting in the '80s) in various places, I saw the campaign hat being worn as a parade ground item. Plus, the BSA model was expensive and those old surplus versions weren't available.

So it was a ball hat or a boonie hat in the field, no hat in town.

• Upvote 1