Oscar De La Renta died

I truly love the Oscar de la Renta uniform. It just looks Scouty to me and I only truly feel like I'm wearing BSA uniform when I have the ODLR shirt, belt, and pants/shorts on. The "new" stuff just doesn't cut it for me and there's just so many different, competing colors and fabrics that no one looks "uniform" anymore. I think those neat dark brown buttons really make the shirt, too. :D

• Upvote 1

WOW. this is a preattyl cool thing. the Olyimpic team got Ralph Loren and BSA had Oscar de la Renta. well at least we did. Who designs them now? Perhaps the BSA should do a Project Runway episode.

although i am in favor of the green numbers not the red.

Earlier this year I was lamenting the fact that the ODLR knee socks with the red tops where hard to get these days. Every now and then you can find them on eBay for a fortune:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-new-x-wide-calf-Boy-Scout-socks-/161456546072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25978f6118

That's $40.00 for ONE pair! And there's no "Buy it Now" option, so it's likely going to go for much more with bidding.

In this day and age of ticks, poisonous plants, etc. the designer uniform pretty much takes the starch out of anything practical for the outdoors.

I don't wear knee socks because the look cool, I wear them to keep the brambles, ticks and poisonous plants at bay.

They laugh at me for wearing leggings, but I don't pick ticks very often either. It's all funny until they find one of their own. :)

The only thing worse than the ODLR uniform is the new one. That went from useless to impractical.

I have my uniform for scout activities, but any outdoor activity that is not scouting would never warrant a BSA uniform.

Stosh

As a Historian I view the uniform of today with mixed thoughts.

I find the De La Renta uniform emasculating, or depriving our youth of the virile outdoors qualities once so

powerfully attributed to Scouting. Furthermore, these uniforms step away from tradition which youth need

so badly in a time of throw-a-way transient culture.

Take a moment and view a Norman Rockwell Boy

Scout painting.

Contemplate the qualities attributed to the uniforms depicted and then compare

that to todays uniform.

Boys, especially teen Scouts need a look that conveys to their peers a sense of

virility and empowerment as their peers are keen to pick at any sign of weakness.

Finally, I refuse to wear a uniform made in known sweatshop regions.

Huh, I never thought of my fellow Scouts as emasculated by the ODLR uniform when I was a youth I certainly didn't think my Scoutmaster was emasculated by it. When I look at my first Boy Scout Handbook (9th edition updated with the ODLR uniforms) and see the drawings of Boy Scouts out in nature doing Scout-like things, I don't think of them as emasculated. However, Arrowman, I can see what you mean by the differences between the glorified Scouts in Norman Rockwell paintings juxtaposed against any Scout in real life. ;)

I guess I'm the only one who likes it. :( BUT a fellow Scouter found some of the tall socks at a thrift store and purchased them for me this morning--brand new! Stout, if you're lucky I'll come to your town and put on a fashion show :D.

All that Scouting I've been doing in my ODLR uniform for the past 27 years and NOW I find out it's useless. Dang!

Huh, I never thought of my fellow Scouts as emasculated by the ODLR uniform when I was a youth I certainly didn't think my Scoutmaster was emasculated by it. When I look at my first Boy Scout Handbook (9th edition updated with the ODLR uniforms) and see the drawings of Boy Scouts out in nature doing Scout-like things, I don't think of them as emasculated. However, Arrowman, I can see what you mean by the differences between the glorified Scouts in Norman Rockwell paintings juxtaposed against any Scout in real life. ;)

I guess I'm the only one who likes it. :( BUT a fellow Scouter found some of the tall socks at a thrift store and purchased them for me this morning--brand new! Stout, if you're lucky I'll come to your town and put on a fashion show :D.

All that Scouting I've been doing in my ODLR uniform for the past 27 years and NOW I find out it's useless. Dang!

I liked the ODLR uniform, but outgrew it as I got older and the centennial uniform was all that was avaliable.

Arrowman, do you use computers or smartphones? Those are powered by rare earth minerals that were probably mined by child slave labor in Africa. At some point in our days something we use, consume or purchase was probably made on the backs of some pretty bad human rights abuses somewhere in the world.

@Torchwood-"How are you serving the Scout Law with your post?"

Your assertion lends compelling evidence that you have no experience in focused studies of "Social Psychology".

Let me introduce you to a term that will help you understand that- what one wears on the outside is remarkably applicable to what happens on the inside.

Please note the term “Enclothed Cognitionâ€Â. [h=2]Abstract[/h] We introduce the term “enclothed cognition†to describe the systematic influence that clothes have on the wearer's psychological processes. We offer a potentially unifying framework to integrate past findings and capture the diverse impact that clothes can have on the wearer by proposing that enclothed cognition involves the co-occurrence of two independent factorsâ€â€the symbolic meaning of the clothes and the physical experience of wearing them. As a first test of our enclothed cognition perspective, the current research explored the effects of wearing a lab coat. A pretest found that a lab coat is generally associated with attentiveness and carefulness. We therefore predicted that wearing a lab coat would increase performance on attention-related tasks. In Experiment 1, physically wearing a lab coat increased selective attention compared to not wearing a lab coat. In Experiments 2 and 3, wearing a lab coat described as a doctor's coat increased sustained attention compared to wearing a lab coat described as a painter's coat, and compared to simply seeing or even identifying with a lab coat described as a doctor's coat. Thus, the current research suggests a basic principle of enclothed cognitionâ€â€it depends on both the symbolic meaning and the physical experience of wearing the clothes.

So what? "The findings, on the Web site of The Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, are a twist on a growing scientific field called embodied cognition. We think not just with our brains but with our bodies, Dr. Galinsky said, and our thought processes are based on physical experiences that set off associated abstract concepts. Now it appears that those experiences include the clothes we wear."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Psychology Today, Putting on Your Power"

Emily vanSonnenberg

ABSTRACT

Researchers at Northwestern University have found that the clothing we wear affects our psychological states, as well as our performance levels. Given their findings, individuals can intentionally choose to wear clothing that will induce more desirable psychological states and enhance task-related performance.

SOURCES

The New York Times, accessed 2014.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/clothes-and-self-perception.html?_r=0

Science Direct, accessed 2014.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103112000200

FURTHER READING: "Psychology Today"

Psychology Today, accessed 2014

http://positivepsychologynews.com/news/emily-vansonnenberg/2012052122126

Arrowman, I don't want to speak for Torchwood here but I understand the sentiment. Reading your post was, indeed, interesting. But what if you gave a Scout an ODLR uniform and told him, "this is what a Scout wears" and then instilled in him the Scout Oath and Law? You could then give another Scout the ODLR uniform and tell him, "This is what a ______ wears" without installing the Scout Oath and Law. What do you get from the Scout with an ODLR uniform and a solid grasp of Scout values? Still emasculating? I'm just curious what justifies your statement beyond the Rockwellian Scouts.

I grew up with the Oscar De la Renta uniform. I never felt like it made me look less like a boy. Now with the centennial uniform, I don't feel like less of a man. I love the old school army like uniforms, but I'm perfectly happy with the uniform as it is now. It's not what a man wears that makes him a man. Its what is inside that counts.

• Upvote 1

So, because it is no longer modeled after a WWII Army uniform, the BSA uniform no longer makes you feel masculine? Horse Feathers!!!

Enclothed Cognition? Wow, I am afraid for the future of our species. We have become petty and thin-skinned.

In addition to the BSA, I belong to a Fraternity that believes wholeheartedly in the following: "Not for wealth, rank or honor; but for personal worth and character".

Again, it is NOT the clothes that make the man. A turd in a tuxedo is still a turd, and you will never convince me otherwise. Maybe they ought to try that highbrow study again with the hoodies and below butt-level jeans of the modern "musician" and see if they come up with any enlightening data.

• Upvote 1