"Unofficial uniform"

So the uniform police have been on the prowl in our council again quoting chapter and verse from the Guide to Awards and Insignia as to unofficial patrol patches, correct Square Knot placement, and the ever dreaded wearing of an Eagle Mentor pin.

It occurred to me, if my shirt was an unofficial tan shirt, say Cabela's Short-Sleeve Safari® Shirt for example, and I sewed my patches onto this shirt, I could wear a mentor pin without breaking “the ruleâ€Â.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must admit that I used to be much less concerned or even aware of my uniform in the years past. Having read TLS's posts over the years regarding uniforming and insignia has changes my viewpoint. I w

Interesting how, once again, the implication is that those who care about the uniform apparently 'don't have any adventure in their lives,' are 'uptight,' and don't enjoy 'the fun of Scouting.' These

"Tell me about this patch" is far more interesting than "this patch doesn't meet regulation".

Make sure you replace the buttons and change the pocket flaps so the holes are centered ... then you're golden as long as the UP don't come looking at the tag on your collar!

For the trouble, I'd just have my name entered in the UP's permanent book of scofflaws!

Or just keep doing what your doing with the official shirt. What are they going to do? Dock your pay? Fire you? That'd take some work on their part. Irritating the council guys is a fun part of the scoutmaster's job.

Tell the UP to start harrasing Leaders who are not fully trained for their position. Also' date=' have them check their First Aid/CPR/AED Cards...that has way more benifit than checking patches and pins.[/quote']

... and lay off the cigs and maybe lose a few pounds so they can put them on their back ... that way they can enjoy watching with me as their kids frolic in a meadow five miles into the middle of nowhere.

Question for the experts, if you wear a BSA dress uniform. (I.e. the blue jacket, etc ...), can you put mentor pins on the lapel?

As a leader who's been awarded a mentor pin, I'd thought I'd weigh in. I don't wear mine on my BSA uniform because it is unofficial. I don't correct other people who do wear them. I wear it with pride on my lapel when I go to church or the rare occasions I attend COHs not in uniform. I'm not going to comment on UP other than it's not worth pissing people off over mentor pins or other tiny details of the uniform.

I never understand why random UP pick on things like a mentor pin or patrol patch, but I go to summer camp and see old farts with almost 30 years worth of quality unit patches going up their sleeve (no kidding, just saw this last week). Its like watching a cop give out a ticket for jaywalking while around the corner some clown is dynamiting a building.

The mentor pin (I hope to be lucky enough to get one someday) is a badge of honor' date=' wear it with pride, the UPs be damned. Or better yet, construct a neckerchief slide that the mentor pin can be attached to, then see what they say![/quote']

I agree..Or Wear a Ball Cap and Put the Pin on It...Or on a Hiking Staff...Or a Lanyard worn Around the Neck...Or A Vest of Some Sort..All ways not to wear it on the "Official Boy Scout Shirt" and still wear it.

My mentor pins are on my uniform left pocket flap, my WB patrol patch on my right sleeve as well as the old red/black/white patrol flag on my walking stick. Every time I have been questioned on it, I tell the person to go and get in full uniform, come back and then we'll discuss it. No one has ever taken me up on it. If anyone ever does, the BSA protocol says the leaders do not need uniforms any more than the kids. That means I'll be wearing a non-BSA tan shirt, non-BSA green pants and two mentor pins on the pocket. Nothing else on the shirt is worth keeping.

Stosh