Where the heck do these Aquatics Supervisor patches go?

Ok, just completed the Aquatics Supervisor: Swimming and Water Rescue and Aquatics Supervisor: Paddle Craft courses. For those that don't know, these courses came about around 2009 when BSA Lifeguard began mirroring ARC Lifeguard, and took away essentially waterfront info : i.e. boating, rescues in murky water, etc. Bascially it covers the basic skills that units need to run aquatic programs.

Got two nice patches, but WHERE THE HECK DO THEY GO? ( caps for screaming in frustration, but not at you guys ;) )

These two patches are not even listed in the Guide to Insignia so that is no help. Looked around the and the info is not even in the course instructor manuals. And since most aquatic emblems, BSA Lifeguard, Mile Swim, etc, I am assuming these two go on the swim trunks and are not considered temp insignia, but you know what happens when you do that. ;)

Qwazse,

I agree the cards are a heck of a lot more important than the patches. As soon as I got the cards I placed them in a ziploc bag so they would be undamaged until I could copy them.

But I ask about it because of a situation I heard about that was similar to one I was involved in years ago, and think having "evidence" of training may help resolve these. I have found that when people know that when a visitor has similar or higher levels of certification, they tend to perform better, and take suggestions to improve their performance better.

#1 reason I took the two courses was to once again be a Swimming and Canoeing MBC. ;)

#2 reason is it looks as if BSA will start mandating these two courses for water trips in the future. And while my troop is a "Hiking and Camping Troop," We got a bunch of canoes to be a "Canoeing Troop."

You just reminded me to wade through my cards. I don't have any from when I took paddle craft safety, etc ... I also have to check in with my SM to make sure he got my BSA guard cert. (I left camp before the AD could issue it.) Given he speed of program changes, if patches don't have the year issued on them, you'll still run into the same problems.

Quazse,

You ain't kidding. Knew about the changes to Swimming MB, but didn't know about the changes to Canoeing until today, and they took effect June 1st. My AD, who went to NCS in May didn't even mention the changes to Canoeing. And the Aquatic Supervision books changed last year.

Almost as bad as CPR changes, which reminds me. Next year is the international conference and changes will go into effect in 2016.

• 4 years later...
On 6/29/2014 at 10:12 AM, Eagle92 said:

I agree the cards are a heck of a lot more important than the patches. As soon as I got the cards I placed them in a ziploc bag so they would be undamaged until I could copy them.

But I ask about it because of a situation I heard about that was similar to one I was involved in years ago, and think having "evidence" of training may help resolve these. I have found that when people know that when a visitor has similar or higher levels of certification, they tend to perform better, and take suggestions to improve their performance better.

#1 reason I took the two courses was to once again be a Swimming and Canoeing MBC. ;)

#2 reason is it looks as if BSA will start mandating these two courses for water trips in the future. And while my troop is a "Hiking and Camping Troop," We got a bunch of canoes to be a "Canoeing Troop."

Baseball card sheets work great, I also take pictures of the cards.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, pjhodager said:

on your swim suit

This sounds like the most rational answer to me. It's the "uniform" you wear when you're acting in either role, so it makes sense. Just don't try and stretch any rules so you can get it onto your field uniform - there's no place for them there, and everybody who knows it will only assume you're trying to garner attention or advertise your skills. And after all, it's not about what people see, but what you accomplish in those roles. 

1 hour ago, scoutldr said:

Historically, ALL of these aquatics patches (BSA Lifeguard, Aquatics Instructor, Mile Swim, Snorkeling, etc) go on the swim suit.  

Well...they tend to weigh down my speedo...but I'll give it a try

• Haha 1

last time I looked:

Right side (your right):

BSA lifeguard emblem and/or aquatics instructor BSA emblem

Nothing else

Left side:

Mile Swim BSA (can be earned multiple times and get a patch for each time)

Boardsailing, Snokeling, SCUBA, Kayaking, Whitewater Rafting awards (not merit badges)

Special Swimming Recognitions from Local or Regional Camps (i.e. polar dip, canoe instructor, etc.)