Double-duty

I am a new Unit Commissioner (waiting for the Official Word), and wanting to join a Pack/Troop, can I do it as long as its not a unit I am assigned to? Also, I decided the best thing to do would be to buy two shirts, one for UC the other for Pack/Troop

I think your on the right track with your registration scheme. But the main reason a UC usually has a son in the troop he's registered in (as an MC or ASM), and that makes for a whole lot of conflicting interests if that's the troop he's assigned to commish.

I think most commissioners I've met do the two-shirt thing.

I have two daughters, no sons, just want to help out
And, I assume those daughters aren't Venturers!

I don't think it's a problem if you are a registered MC in one of the troops you are assigned to UC, Obviously the leaders of that troop may have a different opinion. ;)

Congrats on signing up to be a UC. I would talk to the District Commissioner to see where you are needed.

What is your Scouting history? Are you an Eagle? Were you in Scouts? What do you like to do? How do you think you can help?

Generally, strong Scout Units really do not need a lot of supervision. It is the weak Scout Units that do.

You would not join a Scout Unit directly and be a member. You would be their UC and be a member of the Commissioner Corp.

Have you taken Commissioner Training yet? What other Scout Leader Training have you taken? If you have not taken any, I would look for all the Scout Leader training dates/locations and sign-up.

So, if you were in Cubscouts, take every position. Take BALOO & OWLS. Then Woodbadge. Go to the U of Scouting events as well.

If Boyscout take ITOLS and the SM/ASM Training. Take First Aid/CPR/AED and all the online Trek Safely, Safe Swim Defense.

The same for Venturing and Sea Scouts if appliciable.

Yes, as a UC, you will need to know and understand all of this for what Unit you cover.

Your job is to understand the program and administrative side of Scouting so you can communicate and help guide the unit to be on the right path.

So, it's One Shirt that is needed.