Interpreter Strips ?

Hello,

I'm a new Scouter and just found your forums. Sorry for the newbie question, but... I've looked through the online BSA uniform guides and done a number of searches both here and on the internet in general, but unfortunately haven't found an answer to my question...

Is there a maximum number of interpreter strips that a Scouter (or Scout--Cub or Boy Scout--for that matter) is allowed to wear on the uniform? I can't find one. I humbly ask that you please point me in the right direction with a reference so I can look it up and have the "definitive" answer on hand.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

~Nuke

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you serious? You couldn't find anything better to do than go to an interpreter strip exhibit ? How was the Trained Patch exhibit ?

Ah that's way cool; my Sindarin is better than my Quenya, lol.

The Insignia Guide is ambiguous, but it seems the implication is one. I've seen people with two, but I can't imagine how you'd have any more than that. It gets a bit crowded.

It's a good problem to have, I guess!

No limit. You should wear as many as you are fluent in and can be helpful as an on-the-spot translator. You never know when someone might be looking for that one strip to help them with communication.

The downside: a polyglot may not have room for a Jamboree patch, but what's more important: being and advertizement for an expensive convention? Or, signalling that you are prepared to serve if called upon?

I took Greek and Latin in seminary. Next time I meet up with a 2,000 year old Greek or Roman, I'll be able to chat all afternoon. :) Took French in high school, but am not proficient at all, but I can order off the menu and find the right bathroom. Same for Spanish that I speak with my conversant daughters. But I do wear the Sign Language strip in that I am proficient with that. Sometimes on this forum, I have often wondered how my English is faring. :)

Stosh

Thanks All!

I appreciate the quick and helpful guidance. I have one strip on now, but didn't want to add a second if it was against a rule I hadn't found yet.

I know it's a disappointment, but the adventure of bending rules just doesn't apply in this case. :)

Stosh

Thanks All!

I appreciate the quick and helpful guidance. I have one strip on now, but didn't want to add a second if it was against a rule I hadn't found yet.

I really can think of few "uniform Nazi" problems that are so worth really fighting for. If you can rock more than one interpreter strip, go for it!

I apologize that I cannot find the reference at the moment, but I do remember looking this up on one of the "official" sites, and that it said up to three interpreter strips. In practice, I don't know too many people who know more than three languages, however, I did have an instructor at University of Scouting that had 4 on his uniform, and two of them were the "over-sized" Asian character strips. That said, I think I agree with Bando. If you qualify for more than one, I think you should wear them. Personally, I'm trying (although not very hard) to add Spanish and ASL (both are more practical for my area) to the German I already have. I've debated the Morse strip, with a little work, I'd probably qualify, and it is kind of fun, but it misses what I believe is the purpose of the strip being on the uniform which is to identify the wearer as someone who would be able to assist a foreign speaker. If it were just for bragging rights, all the strips would probably be in English (or at least the English character translation of the language), just so others know what languages you know, even if they don't. However, given this philosophy, with the purpose to speak and assist others who speak other languages, or even to simply bond with someone new over your common knowledge, I don't have any issues with the unofficial strips for Klingon, elvish, etc. as long as someone really can speak and read/write the language.

Most I've seen worn at one time is 3; Italian, Spanish, and French.

jblake47 reminded me of a story my HS Latin teacher, who also taught Greek and a few other languages, told us. Him and a buddy. who also taught Greek, were vacationing in Greece. They had a rental car, and when it broke down, they telling folks, " Our chariot broke down, can you help us?" No one wanted to help them.