Custom Additions to the Scout uniform?

Since National really doesn't have very high uniform standards, I want to see if anyone has "improved" or incorporated things like "shoulder cords" (like the military wears in dress uniforms), different hats (Berets, Garrison caps, Boonie hats, etc.), and anything else that looks good and/or serves a purpose. I am wanting to start some new award systems to strike some interest with the scouts of my troop, like the "Knot Ninja" program that many others are starting (just do a quick google search to learn more).

So, If you guys have any ideas and/or pictures of uniform ideas, post them up!

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Um no. Just no. There is enough "customization" going on, and frankly most of it looks ridiculous. Sounds like you're in the business and looking for marketing ideas.

My goodness.         Your Troop seems to be lax on teaching the Scout Oath and Law also. Perhaps you should have them implement a new award where they stop you once a month, and have

OK, guys, it's time to stop beating the poor kid.   Paracord, you obviously have a lot of enthusiasm. That's a great asset to any troop. That said, your idea of awards for being able to do things t

Um no. Just no. There is enough "customization" going on, and frankly most of it looks ridiculous. Sounds like you're in the business and looking for marketing ideas.
No, not in business. I am just wanting to see what other troops have done to improve the scout uniform. For example, the BSA Ball Cap: Looks stupid and doesn't really serve a practical purpose. It is part of the uniform however, and some scouts wear it, some scouts don't, which cancels out uniformity. To get more scouts to wear hats, pick a new one and make it part of the uniform.
Not sure where you would get the idea there is no standard. That is pretty much what the Uniform and Insignia Guide is all about I think. It is on line, so you do not have to have a hard copy.
Well their standards are extremely relaxed. No grooming standards, etc., ect. Not to mention that no one really enforces the rules and regs.
I just looked at a Knot Ninja site and frankly found it ridiculous for older boys, right up there with still awarding beads for everything.
It's just the concept. No one HAS to use beads and stupid crap like that. You can use whatever you want; different color cords, "paracord ranger beads," etc. A plus to using the paracord ranger beads is that you can use them as pace counters to measure distances.
Not sure where you would get the idea there is no standard. That is pretty much what the Uniform and Insignia Guide is all about I think. It is on line, so you do not have to have a hard copy.
It's Scouts! Not the Marine Corps.
I don't care if my guys wear a hat or not......

I am just happy if their uniform has our unit number on it and their current rank....

I just looked at a Knot Ninja site and frankly found it ridiculous for older boys, right up there with still awarding beads for everything.
While I am not an adult leader, I am still a scout leader. I think it is a good way to tell who can teach knot tying by simply looking at their lanyard, instead of spending a lot of time asking questions.
A first-class scout is qualified to take his patrol hiking and camping. That would include teaching the essential knots, fire starting, and orienteering among other skills. So, I don't ask questions, I just look for the boys with that rank and expect them to live up to it.

That said, I'm not against the boys coming up with their own systems of recognition, as long as the entire troop is amenable to it and the cost isn't ridiculous. It's just that our boys have made it very clear that they prefer a very utilitarian field uniform. Unfortunately, that excludes neckerchiefs. The boys voted against them more than two decades ago (about the time national started sizing them so small as to be little more than diagonally sliced hankies) and haven't worn them since.