World Scout Neckerchief Day

Yesterday was World Scout Neckerchief Day. Thousands of Scouts and former Scouts from all over the globe wore their neckerchiefs all day - to work, to school, to shops. From all around the world, except from the USA. American Scouts have rejected, discarded, reviled the scarf that is the universal symbol of the Scouting movement. What a shame! What a betrayal!

I didn't leave the house yesterday; however, it wouldn't have mattered if I did, because despite seeing several posts on Facebook about World Scout Scarf Day, none of them mentioned what it is, so I wouldn't have worn mine out. And, anyway, it's not a "scarf."

In some parts of the world, the necker IS the uniform. The shirts and shorts and such may not be possible or affordable, but if one is a Scout, the necker is worn. It is , perhaps, the only constant among all the Scout brotherhood.

Come February, I sponsor a neckerchief slide ("woggle") contest. I collect prizes from local ice cream, burger and donut shops: coupons for free ice cream cones and such. They are eager to support Scouting that way. Our Troop CCh writes thank you notes to them. The slides are judged on artistry, utility and originality. The contest is held at the CoH, and is judged by a local art teacher. It gives me a chance to display my woggle collection and talk a bit about the Scout Necker and its history. Our Troop now has a necker that is larger than the one they had in the YSL uni days, so maybe I have had an an effect that way. Signal flags and arm slings anyone?

What a ridiculous post and what a bunch of untrue statements. World Neckerchief Day is not an official event and as stated a necker should never be worn by itself. The only shame here is your erroneous viewpoints.

BP, You haven't seen the official 1995 WSJ postage stamp the Netherlands issued. It has a photo of a scout in a smokey bear and necker with no shirt worn. And some associations do allow the necker to be worn without official shirt, the Netherlands is one as well s the UK if memroy serves. And some associations, the necker IS the only uniform item, although other items may be optional. In the 1990s if memory serves, Croatia started out with only neckers and gradually expanded the uniform to include a shirt.

BP, You haven't seen the official 1995 WSJ postage stamp the Netherlands issued. It has a photo of a scout in a smokey bear and necker with no shirt worn. And some associations do allow the necker to be worn without official shirt, the Netherlands is one as well s the UK if memroy serves. And some associations, the necker IS the only uniform item, although other items may be optional. In the 1990s if memory serves, Croatia started out with only neckers and gradually expanded the uniform to include a shirt.
Canadians can wear necker only as well. Visiting in Calgary a few years back and was in a tourist area when I saw a group of boys and girls wearing neckers. I asked them if they were scouts and they confirmed they were.

Just a necker tells it all. It seems to be the one identifier for the World Scouting movement. It is as if the BSA runs with it's own rules.

What other organization still uses or has ever used neckers for anything? I do remember seeing a picture of the Hitler Youth wearing neckers, but that's about it.

Eagle92, The BSA is not part of the Netherlands scouting association last I checked so your rebuttal is irrelevant. Neckers in all reality are a obsolete scouting artifact of the past that really serves no real purpose this day and age. Those who want to wear them that's fine but for an unofficial scouting event lets put your nostalgia behind you and concentrate on your units program which is where our efforts should be focused. World Neckerchief Day? time for a reality check.

It just depends on one's view/focus on branding and logo establishment. If I see a boy in green pants, I don't think Scouts. Same for a tan shirt. I'm more apt to think Scouts if he is wearing an old dingy camp t-shirt. However, if someone is wearing a necker, the first thing I think of is BSA whether it applies or not. Take that same necker and wear it as a bandana "hat" and we're back to just another kid with a rag on his head. :)

A tan shirt with patches kinda evokes a sense of scouting, but if Hollywood wants to make sure they are obscurely making a reference to scouting, they can have all kinds of shirts with patches, but the definitive identification is still the necker. Is it old fashioned and out-dated. Probably, but it still stands out as unique as the Chevy bow-tie.

Nike swoop doesn't need explaining, penguin invoke Linux, the 3 "exhaust" ports on Buick is making a comeback, a couple of yellow arches? and the list goes on. One glance and you know what it is.

Nostalgia? Tell that to corporate lawyers who make a living off of keeping everyone else's hands off.

As a matter of fact the 1939 patent/copyright laws were a result of Walt Disney protecting his brands and logos.

Eagle92, The BSA is not part of the Netherlands scouting association last I checked so your rebuttal is irrelevant. Neckers in all reality are a obsolete scouting artifact of the past that really serves no real purpose this day and age. Those who want to wear them that's fine but for an unofficial scouting event lets put your nostalgia behind you and concentrate on your units program which is where our efforts should be focused. World Neckerchief Day? time for a reality check.
The necker may have little practical purpose but the kids this side of the pond love them. A few years ago there was a proposal in the UK to get rid of them. There was near insurrection from the kids! It's a symbol of being a scout, each troop in an area has its own colours and the scouts show great loyalty to them, it helps unite and bind them together.

In a practical sense if you are at a large event like a jamboree the troop necker helps easily identify your scouts in a crowd!

Cambridge, Britain is known for loving to hold on to outdated and irrelevant customs, royalty and monarchy which wind up costing your country millions of pounds every year. As far as neckers are concerned in scouting they are a outdated symbol and I seriously doubt that it was the kids who were upset about getting rid of them as opposed to the adult leaders wanting to hold onto the scouting of their youth.
I keep telling everyone we need to switch to ascots instead of neckers. :)