Partial Youth Uniforms

Many youth (and leaders) wear Jeans with their shirts, I have no problem with that. I am curious to hear other Scouter's opinion on this though.

A Scout from a low income family can only afford a neckerchief and slide (or perhaps their unit gives them out at the end of a year of Scouting as the Cubs earn their rank). Any thoughts on this kid wearing his neckerchief and slide with a polo, dress, or even a Pack Class B uniform?

I like uniforms, I think they add to unit camaraderie and helps in putting a public view on scouts. I'm all for the parents doing their best to uniform their child, however $25 is a lot for a shirt and if all they can afford is a hand me down necker and slide that the child wears proudly with a clean shirt, then I'm for it.

Money shouldn't keep a kid from Scouting. A partial uniform is better than no uniform.

• Upvote 1

I have no problems with partial Uniforms.. I grew up poor.. however the first thing I bought was a Scout shirt. Many councils have ways to Dress poor Scouts...Many Troops have hand me down Uniforms... A Shirt is Bare Essential..followed by neckerchief and slide and then socks and pants. I always hated scout pants, still do. I wear 5.11 Tactical Pants in OD Green. Back in my day we didn't have Troop T-shirts. We traveled in Scout shirt. In field we wore any shirt

Official BSA policy is full uniform or no uniform. A child will never be denied the benefits of scouting because of a uniform, per BSA policy. There are zealots on this forum that will pipe in shortly and say if you can't get a uniform you shouldn't be in scouting. It is not just the cost of the shirt but also the patches and getting them sewn on. Until recently I just used blue Wally World pants for cubs and they could wear them to to school also. I hate jeans period. That said the worst is wearing an unkempt uniform in whatever means you have it. At least button it properly and tuck it in. Don't look sloppy. There is no such animal as a "class b" uniform. That is called an Activity uniform. On that point I am a zealot. :)

KDD your gonna have to show me exactly where it says in official literature full uniform or no uniform.......Another made up rule.

Uniforms are not required for scouting......They do a really nice dance on the official BSA page of trying to make it read like they are but never coming out and saying....Uniforms arerequired.

So if you have scouts that cannot afford a uniform....Call your District Executive.....There are moneys specifically donated by folks for uniforming those less fortunate.... Generally means a shirt...So don't expect a full uniform.

KDD your gonna have to show me exactly where it says in official literature full uniform or no uniform.......Another made up rule.

Uniforms are not required for scouting......They do a really nice dance on the official BSA page of trying to make it read like they are but never coming out and saying....Uniforms arerequired.

So if you have scouts that cannot afford a uniform....Call your District Executive.....There are moneys specifically donated by folks for uniforming those less fortunate.... Generally means a shirt...So don't expect a full uniform.

The inspection sheet spells it out clearly. This is what entails a uniform. Anything less than that is a partial. If the boys show up with a BSA hat, and pants and a tan shirt with no patches on it. Is he in uniform? How about if he wears just a tan shirt, with no patches, is he in uniform? The inspection sheet spells out what is and what is not a uniform. If one can't afford a uniform. No problem. Enjoy the program and there's no reason to not show up. However if you are going to wear the uniform, then wear it properly. Such fuzzy logic of partial uniforming is only for those who wish to justify their agenda/practices. Kinda like partial MB's. Either you have completed it or you haven't. Same with the uniform. Either you have a uniform on or you don't.

Blue jeans and a camp t-shirt is not a uniform make, not even a "activity" "uniform".

We're doing a couple of things to help all our boys get fully uniformed.

We've started a uniform exchange, where people can leave their outgrown uniforms to the pack so we can pass them along to other families in need.

One of our new leaders last year showed me the joys of eBay. He outfitted his whole Cub Scout den with uniform shirts and all insignia for about $20 per Boy. He found used uniforms on eBay and a couple of other online marketplaces.

You can also talk to your DE. We were able to get some of our boys who expressed a need uniformed by asking.

Our pack considers the shirt, necker, and hat to be full uniform. It drives me nuts to see kids in basketball shorts and uniform form shirt. The cargo shorts I bought for my son were cheaper than basketball shorts, and are identical to uniform shorts.

I come from a Troop where you were required to be in full inform to and from trips, and at meetings, or other Troop events when specified. We were lucky to have a big troop that kept a good inventory of old uniforms for those who could not afford one.

DO NOT mix uniform parts with non-uniform clothing, such as wearing a uniform cap with other clothing or wearing the uniform shirt with blue jeans. The uniform should be treated as a unitâ€â€worn in its entirety, or not at all.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Parents/Awards/Parents.aspx

did ya happen to notice the section that you are quoting from is a Uniform Tips section.

While you rich folks can shell out $50 buck for a boy to have scout pants, some of my parents can't or simply won't.

So are you going to tell the scout who is in blue jeans and his scout shirt his is out of uniform.....Not me.....I am glad he is enjoying scouting and thinks it is worth his time and effort.

From the Official Policy: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33066_Section1.pdf "While wearing the uniform is not mandatory, it is highly encouraged. The leaders of Scoutingâ€â€both volunteer and professionalâ€â€promote the wearing of the correct complete uniform on all suitable occasions."

Now, having stating this, I have no issues with folks using blue pants bought at K-Mart, etc. They look just as good in pics, and cost a lot less. I do have issues with jeans and cammo pants (i just don't like the look of jeans and cammo is just wrong).

I have bought uniform items off ebay and have purchased and donated items from Goodwill on more than one occasion. There are ways of getting uniformed and saving money at the same time, you just gotta look :-).

Our Troop allows scouts to wear uniform shirts / neckers with jeans at all events. All SMs are requested to wear the full uniform, as are scouts who are on the verge of becoming eagle. There is a very simple reason for this for us. We want the scouts to look good as a part of our troop without having to waste a lot of cash. As the boys (scouts) generally outgrow their pants every 12 - 24 months, and would require 3 or 4 pairs over their scouting career, we do not require them to have official scout pants. We encourage new scouts to buy the uniform shirts in large sizes so they will last. For adults, the growth factor is less of an issue. Similarly, most of our Eagles are older (HS age), and have fewer growth spurts remaining. Works for us.

From the Official Policy: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33066_Section1.pdf "While wearing the uniform is not mandatory, it is highly encouraged. The leaders of Scoutingâ€â€both volunteer and professionalâ€â€promote the wearing of the correct complete uniform on all suitable occasions."

Now, having stating this, I have no issues with folks using blue pants bought at K-Mart, etc. They look just as good in pics, and cost a lot less. I do have issues with jeans and cammo pants (i just don't like the look of jeans and cammo is just wrong).

I have bought uniform items off ebay and have purchased and donated items from Goodwill on more than one occasion. There are ways of getting uniformed and saving money at the same time, you just gotta look :-).

I bought two uniform shirts for my son on Ebay. The cost with shipping was less than the cost of one new shirt.

The Cub Scout who showed up in purple, gold and black Zubaz with his uniform shirt finally pushed me over the line. I started encouraging "generic" blue pants.

Amen, BD. Priority one: "Hello Scout, I'm happy to see you here tonite!"

Worry about the other stuff later,.

No mention of "tips" I can in this section.

Boy Scouts of America > Cub Scouts > Parents > Uniform & Awards > The Cub Scout Uniform

Who said anything about telling a scout he was out of uniform ? Not I.

This thread is about cub scouts. Pants are $25, not $50.

Did you read post #3 ? I am no uniform zealot (except the class b nonsense). :)