respectively declined

Has anyone ever "respectively declined" an adult award (like a James West)?

Not for other awards like the Scouter Key, but I could see how someone would turn down a "purchased" knot. I know BSA says its not (or knot ), but when you donate money and they give you a knot, that's purchased in my book.

A guy I know threw away his new unit organizer award that was given to him for be the leader of a paper Venture crew. He wasn't in a position to "respectfully decline" it because they didn't give it to him at any kind of public thing, so he just chucked it in the trash where it belonged.

I wouldn't really see the point of declining an award unless they were going to present it to you in front of people. If you don't want it, just don't put it on your uniform.

Not for other awards like the Scouter Key, but I could see how someone would turn down a "purchased" knot. I know BSA says its not (or knot ), but when you donate money and they give you a knot, that's purchased in my book.

While we're ragging on the West knot, did anyone else doubletake when they saw it on this freshfaced kid's shirt? From BSA's Facebook

who said something about rich folks??????
While we're ragging on the West knot' date=' did anyone else doubletake when they saw it on this freshfaced kid's shirt? From BSA's Facebook
[/quote']

I have seen this in my District. If folks want to donate money more power to them. But to have recognition for donating money defeats the purpose of scout-based altruism.

@BD: The *difference* between ragging on rich people because their unit can do more than yours and ragging on rich people getting some scouter bling for donating money should be obvious. Rich units are not rubbing their wealth in people's faces or seeking recognition for their wealth...though I will grant you some units do just that. This award, however, is nothing more than someone who can afford to give money like that being give somehting to wear that shows they gave money. Big difference.

It is like the Paul Harris Fellowship in Rotary: Give money, get a plaque. What's the point? I'd rather give the money and leave it at that....and I have done that.

Noticing the knots below....

Could it be instead of giving the kid another Cross pen, some over-priced dust collector from Scout Stuff or another gift he really didn't need, someone choose to honor this kid's Eagle by making a contribution to Scouting in his name? I'm having a hard time finding the problem with this.

Noticing the knots below....

Could it be instead of giving the kid another Cross pen, some over-priced dust collector from Scout Stuff or another gift he really didn't need, someone choose to honor this kid's Eagle by making a contribution to Scouting in his name? I'm having a hard time finding the problem with this.

I agree with you; our district Eagle BOR coordinator, who is retired and has no family has given a number of these donations in honor of various of his scouting friends. That is the only reason I wear said knot, because he presented it to me at a roundtable. Should I not wear it because it represents money he donated in my honor because he does not want the government to get his small legacy when he dies and feels this is a good way to thank friends?

If someone gives you a gift, if you don't have anything against it, accept it. As to the creator of a "paper Venturing unit" throwing a new unit founder award in the trash, why would anyone want to create a paper Venturing unit in the first place? I don't really understand most of the people in this thread.

If someone gives you a gift' date=' if you don't have anything against it, accept it. As to the creator of a "paper Venturing unit" throwing a new unit founder award in the trash, why would anyone want to create a paper Venturing unit in the first place? I don't really understand most of the people in this thread.[/quote']

For me a knot should be about achievement. To be honest, besides the eagle and aol knot, I think the rest should go. It looks sort of foolish to me for an adult to have 50 knots on their uniform like some banana republic general. I have noticed most folks that wear those don't have eagle or aol knots so maybe they are making up for lost possibilities. In the end it is a personal preference. I prefer not to wear them. I have six, I wear none.

You have every right to wear whatever BSA considers legal. I think what your friend did was very nice. For me, and this is my personal opinion, I would feel weird wearing a knot (of any kind) but specifically for something that was not based on an achievement of some sort.

Banana republic genreals? That's a good one. I think 3 knots on the shirt is enough (my personal policy and opinion). If anyone meets the requirements for an award (knot), they have the privilege to wear it. Our uniform guide remind us of keeping the uniform neat in appearance and uncluttered, but it also shows us how to wear muliple knots that would contradict it's own guidelines.