X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merit badge sash

Used to be a scout could start wearing his sash when he earned 6 or 7 badges.
    Has this changed?

Never been a minimum for a sash as far as I know, other than looking a bit odd with only one or two. But with today's mostly short sleeves, wearing them on the sleeve is uncommon.

Comment

Back in the 20s-30s, all MB were worn on the right sleeve. The latest rule was that a scout could wear UP TO 6 MB on the right (long) sleeve. However, he can wear any number on a sash. The sash should be worn properly (over the right shoulder) or not at all. Never on the belt.

Comment

A merit badge sash counts as a point on my troop's uniform inspection conducted by the ASPL. I have seen brand new scouts turn up with empty sashes to get that point.

Comment

See http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/06D.aspx for the current rules.

I'm not aware that there's ever been a minimum number to wear on a sash.

Comment

If a young scout has one merit badge and wants to wear it on a sash, why would anyone want to discourage that?

Comment

Always buy the LONGEST sash, and safety pin it up so it doesn't drag on the floor.
              That 4 foot Scout with three MBs will soon be a 6 1/2 foot Scout with 28 MBs!
              The short sash just don't fit easily on the 190 pound Scout, and then (someone) has to re-do the MBs (somehow, see another thread) on a bigger sash.

Comment

It hasn't changed in 'wear regulation' but factors like comfort and cost have had its impact at the younger ranks. Sashes are more often are bought at the Star and Life ranks. Sashes can get in the way on campouts just doing the simply thing. They are saved for formal ceremonies which more Scout see when they hit the higher Star and Life rank and show up at another's Eagle Court of Honor. Cost wise parents quickly learn its an item to wait on to see if their Scout remains in Scouting hence the reason many are bought before a Eagle board of review... *smiles

Comment

"Sashes can get in the way on campouts just doing the simply thing. They are saved for formal ceremonies which more Scout see when they hit the higher Star and Life rank and show up at another's Eagle Court of Honor."

Uh, sashes should really ONLY be worn at formal occasions, not a meetings, campouts or other activities. I find it silly when I see a scout wearing his sash at NOAC or an OA Section Conference.

Too much of a risk of loosing it, and considering the cost of merit badges, a poor chose.

Comment

Our boy usually wear the them at the COH, SMC, and BOR. Often a boy wears one to a meeting of we have a "Each Patrol send us your most complete uniformed boy" contest. I have seen the occasional blank sash as well.

Comment

When I joined out troop we had a "tradition" of OA guys wearing their MB sash folded over their belt over the right pants leg. At summer camp a few years back one of my Eagle Scouts was dressed down by some SM in another troop as wearing the MB sash inappropriately. Cannot find anywhere in the BSA guidelines that say this method was/wasn't legit. Anyone ever heard of this?

Comment

Krampus: You will find NOTHING offishul about wearing the OA sash or the MB sash anywhere other than over the right shoulder. Tucked into/over the belt is a "local option" (there's that term again)/ tradition/convenience. It does seem appropriate sometimes (sort of like the Totin'Chip being pocket flap shaped, I guess).
                        I say wear it right or don't wear it. Roll it up in your winter coat pocket, put it on for the ceremony, roll it up again for the wide game after the meeting.

>>>Make Sure the Scout's Name is Marked on the Sash, on the Inside/Underside. <<<<<

Comment

• Krampus
                          Krampus commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks. The big issue was that the Scout could not wear the OA sash and the MB sash at the same time, so being both official BSA gear he wanted to wear both in some fashion. As it was an OA event he wore the Vigil sash and flapped the MB sash a la the way he has done since Tenderfoot. ;-) I did not see anything wrong with it, nor did I find anything in my goggling, but wanted to see if anyone else had.

I agree the MB sash should be worn for dress events. I personally don't see an issue with Arrowmen wearing thiers flapped over as long as it is done nicely (a la the old flight caps tucked in to the belt). ;-)

How you see it is one thing. What's 'by the book' is another.
                        Sashes are worn over the right shoulder (not elsewhere).
                        BDPT00

Comment

• Krampus
                          Krampus commented
                          Editing a comment
                          So we know that both OA and MB sashes must be worn on the right shoulder. The question is what does the "book" say about how or if you wear both. I cannot find any "book" that says wearing either sash any other way -- or saying prescriptively one way or the other -- is verboten.

So what is an Arrowman to do when he wears Class A and wants to display both? If there is no written BSA policy about wearing either sash folded over the belt (as long as it does not look stupid) then the "local option" sounds the right answer.

• BDPT00
                          BDPT00 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The book says only that one doesn't wear both at the same time. Frankly, I can't envision an occasion when one would need to wear both. This 'local option' thing can easily get carried away, because whatever is invented soon becomes tradition, and then policy (even when incorrect). If on the belt, which side? Says who? Arrow pointing up or down? Says who? I believe I've seen it written that the OA sash is not to be worn on the belt anyway. There are plenty of 'local option' variables that become rules. I tend to stick with Jamboree and NYLT uniforming. It's pretty simple.
                          BDPT00

One of the nearby troops is really into OA and they all seem to wear OA sashed at most formal occasions. I've been to a few of their Eagle Courts of Honor with most of their Scouts wearing their OA sash over their shoulder with their MB sashes tucked into their belts. Of course, you can't tuck-in all those MBs you earned, so the older guys with the most MBs wear their sashes hanging down past their knee. It really, really looks stupid.

Comment

• Krampus
                          Krampus commented
                          Editing a comment
                          We insist that if it is worn as such (folded over belt) that it does not extend past the seam of the pocket on traditional pants. And of course these days we have to say that pants are worn around your waist and not below you butt line.

• Twocubdad
                          Twocubdad commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Now that makes no sense. You have non-standard uniform standards? If you're going to be insistant about something, why not insist they wear the shashes properly?

• Krampus
                          Krampus commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Like I said, it was a "tradition" long before I got to troop, along with how it (MB sash) if the OA sash is worn with it. Seems to be regional because we are not the only troop doing it. I have been trying to gather the correct policy to change the way we do this. While it can look sharp, if it is not standard then we should not wear it. Though I profess that many of the folks who tend to think they wear the uniform properly have all sorts of unofficial, verboten stuff on their shirts as well (shotgun shell awards, Citizenship in the Universe "MB", Scoutmaster MB, etc.).

From the BSA "Guide to Awards and Insignia" 2012 edition -

"ordeal sash, No. 2167; long, No. 2168; Scout or Scouter; worn only with the field uniform, over right shoulder, under epaulet of shirt; NEVER WORN ON BELT OR WITH MERIT BADGE SASHnot be worn on the sash or with the uniform."

The highlighting is mine (the "advanced" editing only results in the edit tag text being inserted into your text, not any actual bold, underline, color, etc).

The same instructions are listed for the Brotherhood, and Vigil, sashes.

One wonders, Krampus, how you missed looking at the Insignia Guide when pondering where to where official insignia? Here is the address for the Guide on the BSA National Website (inserting links also only results in link text being added. It does not actually make it into a link) -

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/...gniaGuide.aspx

Comment

• ScoutNut
                          ScoutNut commented
                          Editing a comment
                          "Pedantic"? I do not think so. You made point (several times) of stating that you had looked, and "googled", everywhere, and found nothing. I found the - complete - Guide easily enough doing a search on the BSA National site for insignia guide.
                          So I asked. Rather politely, if a bit sarcastically, I think.

• Krampus
                          Krampus commented
                          Editing a comment
                          @ScoutNut...sorry mate, but when I read "One wonders, Krampus, how you missed looking at the Insignia Guide when pondering where to where official insignia?" I read that as pendantic and condescending. If meant otherwise might I suggest checking the sarcasm when someone asks an honest question which, to that point, had not been give the complete answer you gave. You provided what I was looking for and for that I am grateful. I could have done without the sarcasm...especially since if one does search for such things you can find 2-3 documents from BSA which leave out the very important part you correctly outlined.

Again, thanks.

• ScoutNut
                          ScoutNut commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wow, talk about pedantic, and sarcastic.
                      Working...
                      X