I feel like a traitor

As stated in previous threads I am a new Tiger Den Leader this year. Since I now live in a neighboring Concil, in lieu of stripping my old uniform of the CSP, Lodge Flap, numerals, etc... I opted to buy a new uniform shirt. As I was sewing on the new patches last night I felt like a traitor. The irony is the original Pack that is I found is in my old Council and is a few miles closer to home but doesn't serve my son's school. Oh well, time to start my son's Scouting journey, and continue mine. Change is good right?

You have the correct attitude......This is primarily your sons journey....

In a couple of months the new routine will work itself out. You will meet new scouts and scouters, new roundtable......Hopefully hear some fresh ideas.....

Traitor, is the wrong term.....When my son and I switched units.....I felt more than a little lost for a couple of weeks.

Gsdad, I can identify! As a military guy, I've just sewn on my fourth different council patch, in a five year span. Though each stay was short, I appreciated each council, all quite different in their own way.

Really tough to take off the old OA flap. Kept the flap from the small but outstanding lodge in the deep South. The next two lodges were dead as a doornails. Only heard from one when it was time for dues, plus I never got around to sewing on their flap anyway. The next lodge wouldn't even give me a membership app, though I asked politely a few times after I arrived. They seemed to be happy with just the way they were, so I quit asking and kept proudly wearing the old flap. Current lodge is on the ball.

This is my last move, and hope to retire here and keep this council patch more than two years.

Though painful, change is good. Picked up alot of good stuff along the way and met alot of good folks.

jblake- indeed, I am looking forward to it.

desertrat- The lodge flap was the toughest. I was inducted into, and an Lodge office of Unami 1 as a youth and made many lasting friendships there. I was looking forward to the time my son was inducted to gift him my original flap. I still have my original sash, so he will still get that if/when he takes his ordeal.

FYI: There is no reason at all you can't attend a pack that doesn't actively recruit from your son's school. If you like that pack better, go for it.

Our own pack has boys from 8 different schools, only 4 of which we actively recruit from.

We chose the current Pack because it serves his school and he already knew a few of the older Cubs. They an active Pack, a strong Troop, and Venture Crew that support the Pack. The other Pack was not affiliated with a Troop and didn't seem very organized.

I agree. No requirment to go to his "school's pack".

My son (and now me too) are in the pack sponsored by my church.

The church also runs a school, and that is the only school that they recruit from..... but my son attends a government school closer to my house.

• 1 month later...

Yup, I feel your pain. I was all set for my son to join my old pack & troop, but we decided to buy a house closer to my in-laws instead. While we tried to make it work, the back and forth commute for all the scouting activities was getting a little too much to handle. We joined a new pack and it took us awhile to get used to way they do things, but it's all good. Like the kids, you make new friend and build new memories.

Yep the OA flap is always hardest to take off but it gets easier as you move. I made 6 moves in 7 years. Hardest thing for me to do was take off my Chilantakoba flap and wait until I did my seven hours of service prior to buying my new flap. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears, as well as a girlfriend or two ;), was sacrificed to the OA in general and Chilantakoba lodge in particular, and not wearing a flap was hard.