Pants VS Shorts

Not to start anything (This isn't really that big of a deal, but you never know), Does anyone else out there wear pants in the Summer. Was just reading a post from another thread, and this was mentioned

"Pants not shorts? I guess the troop never goes outdoors during the summer and hasn't heard of switchbacks."

To each their own, but in the Troop I am in now, almost all the boys wear pants unless they go swimming. I am the same. Aside from swimming, the only time I usually wear shorts is when I am running. Even in the mid 90 temps we've had this week, I always wear pants. I am not saying one way is better, just that in some areas people don't wear shorts much.

I especially like to wear pants when out in the woods hiking and such. As far as I am concerned, there is not much difference in how cool they wear and they offer more protection(or at least the trade-offs seem bearable).

I was wondering, is there a time in your oppinion that shorts have a "true/real" benefit to the wearer over pants.

As a side, I do not have switchbacks and understand there benefits. I may actually get some in the future. But, I like what seems to be the "more durable" canvas pants, even with the drawbacks compared to the Switchbacks in warmer/wetter weather. No wrong answers here, I am just wanting to know if there is something I am missing. Thanks.

Love the canvas shorts.

I haven't found much of a need for BSA trousers of any variety. Any conditions which I would feel the need to use them, I would toss on a pair of jeans or pull rain/snow pants over the shorts.

It depends. Both offer advantages and disadvantages. If I do wear shorts, it's knee socks that go with them.

Now for CSDC this year, definatley a pair of jeans,along with moccasin-type boots,woven garters and sash, late 1800s style shirt, choker, scalping knife, and a Boss of the Plains, AKA Smokey Bear.

I hate pants. I wear them only when required by my job or social conventions. I wore shorts to work night shifts when I lived in Ohio and there was half a foot of snow on the ground. I haven't owned a pair of jeans for 15+ years. If I could get by wearing shorts 365 days a year, I would. I heat up and start sweating standing still in the shade when it's 70 out, so shorts are a lifesaver. I don't do a lot of bushwhacking, so I very rarely wear pants in the outdoors. They'd be drenched through in a matter of minutes if I did, anyway. I'll take my chances with the ticks.

I admit not everyone is as hirsuite and as prone to overheating as I, and know it's a regional thing, anyway. But we oughta be free to make our own choices.(This message has been edited by Shortridge)

Few guys look good in shorts, nobby, hairy knees.. but if their comfortable.. Ok..

Then add to that knee socks! Don't know what it is.. Whether the look just kindof defeats the purpose of wearing shorts in the first place, or it reminds me of the look of teenage girls who wore skirts & dresses with knee socks when I grew up (before pants were either exceptable to school or parents)..

But then there are other things I don't think much of in mens fashions.. Take mens dress shoes, they are all ugly.. Husband goes shopping for dress shoes and wants my opinion if these look better or those.. Sorry honey, they all look pretty ugly to me.

Shorts, shorts, shorts. The local scout culture here favors shorts, I like shorts or skirts myself. I did notice when visiting the PNW recently that everyone wore pants or jeans, almost no shorts. The explanation was apparent when my host apologized for the heat wave they were experiencing, upper 80s with low humidity. I thought the weather was lovely compared to the 98 degree/98% humidity that I had left back home.

Our Troop is at camp this week and the forecast calls for multiple 100+ degree days this week. I bet if you went to camp you would see very few people wearing pants.

I will be 60 this year and once the temp starts staying in the upper 70's my casual attire is shorts.

I'm one of those that can wear jeans and a sweatshirt when it's in the 30's and be comfortable so when it gets in the 60's I'm in my shorts when it gets into the 70's I'm in sleevless shirts except for when in uniform. I do have switchbacks for when I need to go into the weedy areas and if I'm in that sort of hiking I wear longer socks with my boots (normally pushed down) and will just pull the socks up.

I just wish that BSA would come out with some sleevless t-shirts... I'm always cutting off the sleeves of past years summer camp shirts!

Activity driven, but generally: Hiking=Trousers, Backpacking=Shorts(Switchbacks or other convertible with the legs dropped and acting kind of like gaiters when moving), Summer=Shorts, All other seasons=Trousers.