Campaign hats from national

Does anybody know if they can endure rainwater? As in, will the brim be ruined after exposure to rain or can it withstand the rain without becoming crap instantly? I wouldn't want to buy one and wear it in rainy conditions only to find that it will be $100 down the toilet.

Buy the plastic one if you are worried about the rain.

Buy the diaper and press board if you don't.

Or, you can simply let the hat take on a character of it's own like they did originally.

I have an oblong shaped head that when I put the hat on touch only in the front and back. Within a half hour it would give me a headache. Eventually it got wet in a rainstorm, it conformed to my head but if you take a flat brimmed hat and pull the inside front to back it will put a nice curve in both sides.

I love what the hat has become and hated it when it was new.

Of course I bought just a $30 knock off and put the insignia on it along with leather hatband. Seems that I get more compliments on my hat than those with the flat brim and diaper. :)

Stosh

I have two Smokeys. One that has been "used and abused" in that when I received it for completing BA22 back in the day, I had less than 30 minutes before it got soaked. I love it as it has character, especially after being shot at by the Germans (don't ask, let's just say A) I know why BSA wants 2 folks on the range and B) I know why we won WWII ;) ) This is my 'field cover."

But I also have one that I keep in the hat press and has a plastic rain cover I bought at a country western store highly recommended by oneof the state troopers I know. Bring the hat with you to get the cover to get the exact size. This is my "dress cover."

BUT what I have recently done with the field cover is spray it with thestuff used to waterproof suede boots. No discoloration with spraying, but I have not used it in the rain, yet anyway. ;)

• 1 year later...