X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NJ,

1) WELCOME TO DA FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! ( And yes I am Shouting at ya )

2) In regards to the campaign cover, officially here is what is to be worn by adults: Leather hat band, leather chin strap, Adult Universal Emblem. So the Eagle Rank Pin that BSA now sells, and about time too IMHO, is not to be work on the hat. Plus it's tiny, 7/16 x 7/16"

Now I've seen things that are not offical BSA worn on the smokeys. both of mine have British leather bands that were branded at one of the scout camps I worked at. Prior to that, one of the smokes had a white with blue polka dots ribbon that served as the hat band as that was the official Staff ribbon for JLT and all the staff, both youth and adults, wore that ribbon on they smokeys.

I also wear plumes. One is a green British SM plume I got in the UK, the other is a 100th Anniversary plume. Originally in some Scout associations, the color of the plume told folks your position While it never made its way here. Somone on occasion sells them on ebay.

Comment

I didnt realize the Eagle Rank Pin was so small... that would just look silly on a hat, so I'm stuck with the Universal Hat Pin. Fine. I will somewhat begrudgingly pick mine up today at the local scout store. I'll pass on the leather hat band as I've never been one to stick by the uniform requirements entirely- I've yet to retire my Green Bar Bill-autographed OA Sash and I've worn it with the legend strip since day one. I'm sure that's a forum topic on here somewhere.

Comment

• Scouter99
        Scouter99 commented
        Editing a comment
        What's the difficulty of just wearing the thing the way you're supposed to.
        Last edited by Scouter99; 07-30-2013, 02:43 PM.

The people who matter most don't care if you got 24 square knots on your shirt or an eagle pin on your hat.

You know who they are right??????

So go a head and get over the knot envy and uniform nazi stuff and get to the good stuff.

Comment

NJ,

1) Please do me a favor, USE SOME TYPE OF CHEMICAL PROTECTION TO KEEP GBB'S SIGNATURE SAFE!!!!! (caps for emphasis, ok maybe a little shouting )
        Long story short, I had a necker with his signature and the signature was erased when the necker was washed. At least Bill would be proud in why it got washed: I did first aid with it.

2) Wear the smokey with pride.

Comment

• njeagle92
          njeagle92 commented
          Editing a comment
          Eagle92- Ouch! Sorry to hear that your GBB signature did not survive the wash. GBB signed my OA sash at the 1989 National Jamboree at Ft. AP Hill. Waited on line for more than two hours, and when I finally got to GBB, he signed "Bill" and an older scout sitting to his left carefully placed the two green bars over his name. I still smile at that memory. A very nice fellow, GBB noticed my Unami 1 lodge flap and added the triangle or delta symbol and "1" to commemorate Unami Lodge's place in the OA. I had completed my Ordeal at Treasure Island Scout Reservation only weeks before!

NJE92, Agree with BD to a point. My boys do look for those silver knots, so wear that one proudly, but don't clutter up that field uniform pocket with so many other knots that it gets overlooked. You don't need any pins on your hat. Hats are not where anyone looks for your scouting history. They are for keeping the sun out of your eyes and the rain off your back. I've taught my boys to regard highly the fella with the weathered hat. Finally, keep in mind that the OA sash should only be worn when OA business is being conducted. I disagree with your opinion that the cubs need to know that their CM or any leader is an Eagle. What they need to know is that their leaders love them dearly.

Comment

• njeagle92
          njeagle92 commented
          Editing a comment
          qwazse, funny thing is, when I was a scout, I paid a little more attention to the guys with the silver knots, and that's the only knot that really matters to me. For those who proudly wear the knots in colors and combinations I never knew existed, I say they are fine exampes of the scouting spirit! I am impressed.

You are dead on with the hats to protect from the sun and the rain (and in my Pack, the occasional cream-pie!). In my day, we wore the red berets and/or the red and green ball caps. My everyday headgear now that I'm a Cubmaster is an olive drab boonie hat from the Army/Navy and I'm proud to say it is well-weathered and time-tested. I plan to wear my campaign hat for more formal or special occasions.

NJ,

Boonie hats are good, BSA even made one briefly. If my fat head could fit in it, the CS version would at the local distributor would be mine. But IMHO, the best all purpose hat is , and I may be committing sacrilege saying it, is the Expedition, aka Brimmed Hat. It's waterproof and crushable. I'm on #2 as the first one was stolen. I've gone through multiple storms, inlcuding hurricanes with them.

BUT, I love my SMOKEYS!

Comment

• jblake47
          jblake47 commented
          Editing a comment
          The older boys were waning in their excitement for the troop. They always went back to the same old, same old camp every year and approached me about having boys that were FC+ form a patrol of their own. They limited it to 8 boys max, invite only. They wanted to do things a bit more on their own footing. My standard answer for any boy-led initiatives is: "Sure, why not". I was ASM at the time and approached the SM about it. He allowed it on a temporary basis. They went full uniform with expedition hat, aggressively avoided the SPL/ASPL, QM, etc. PORs. The PL mentored the SPL, APL, mentored the ASPL, etc. They, on their own terms, lead T-FC instructions for the younger boys, and at outings separated themselves from the rest of the adult-led troop and let the patrols work on their own as well. There were there when needed, but retained their own independence and responsibilities.

The bump came when they wanted to sign up for a patrol-method camp outside the council. The honor patrol had done a lot of things for the boys in developing the patrol method and they could have very easily gone to summer camp without the honor patrol. When the SM forbid them going on their own to a more challenging camp, they all "quit" and so did I. After I left, they all received their Eagle within 6 months and left the troop.

Stosh

• Scouter99
          Scouter99 commented
          Editing a comment
          Riddle me this: What's so different about the campaign and expedition that the campaign costs $100 and the expedition only $35?

• jblake47
          jblake47 commented
          Editing a comment
          Beats me on the cost. I bought a $30 campaign hat and it's not official BSA. To-date, no one has ever questioned it. If others can produce $30 campaign hats, I have no idea why BSA can't do it as well. I have two red jac-shirts, one BSA official, picked up on sale $20 and the other a Pendleton $30. Again, I've never been asked whether it is official BSA or not.

NJ, In regards to the stolen hat, it happened at a homeless shelter we were doing a Scouting for Food project for. If a scout stole it, shame on him. if one of the homeless stole it, I hope they really needed it.

JBlake,

That staff would not have liked my old troop's policy. ANY Scouting, and note I do not specify BSA, hats were approved for wear by the SM. Should have seen us when we went to summer camp when the Canadians were with us right after the twin city ceremonies, as we had guys wearing not only an assortment of BSA hats, but also from both Scouting associations in Canada.

And one of the leaders no longer had a BSA uniform after that ceremony, but he did have a French Canadian Association's uniform.

Comment

• njeagle92
          njeagle92 commented
          Editing a comment
          Trading isn't just for pins and patches. At the 1989 Jambo at A.P. Hill, I traded away 3 class A's and 3 class B's for international unis- Canada, Taiwan, France, South Africa, Mexico and Netherlands. Blokes from the UK wouldn't accept a straight up trade; I said "no thanks" when they wanted the few bucks in my pocket too!

On the next to last day of the Jambo when they came around to take Troop photos, I had to borrow uniform items from 3 or 4 of my fellow American scouts! Nothing I wore in that photo was mine. Even the socks we borrowed. My buddy let me keep those.
      Working...
      X