Best "unofficial" pants ???

I try to always wear the official pants, but for cold weather outings, I really like the army surplus M1951 wool trousers...they are durable, warm, and a very close match (color wise) to the wool Oscar De La Renta trousers formerly issued by the BSA.

I bought a pair at a surplus store for $10 years ago; I see them on eBay for a wide range of prices.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Walmart to look at the Dickies... the are similar to carpenter work pants, and very heavy.

Gandermountain.com has their North Face Paramount pants - the New Taupe Green color for $45.50 so I ordered a pair. I'll let everyone know how they fit. REI and other sites list them at $75.

'Rat,

In SE LA, it doesn't get that cold so they were just fine. I still use utility trousers when I'm going to be doing stuff and do not want to risk ruining the uniform ones. But Ido think the Switchbacks, esp the Gen I types with the zippers in the lower legs, are AWESOME! (and yep that's me screaming at ya ;) ) Wore my pair all weekend at training.

Now one time I had a BSA function immediately following a JROTC one. In fact as soon as the JROTC ended, I skipped out of the reception to go to the BSA one. I ended up wearing my green poly-wool trousers to the BSA ceremony. Looked pretty spiff with BSA shirt, belt with Skill Awards, and JROTC pants and patent leather shoes

John,

Yep you shouldn't, but some folks cannot afford the complete uniform right away. I think it took me 3-4 years before I had a complete uniform, and then it was hand-me-downs. I had to buy the uniform piecemeal, and when I finally had a complete uniform, I had a lot of pride in it. In fact I never had a brand new uniform until I worked for supply.

Also the Made To Order Uniforms require you to buy 2 pairs of each item to be made, and the price is much higher than the off the shelf uniform. I don't remember the exact cost, but the uniforms I had to order for one customer cost him between $150-$200 for both uniforms,about $25-$50 more per uniform item than off the shelf ones. And it can take between 6-8 weeks to receive them.

Me personally I would not buy an alternative pair of pants more than the cost of the official ones.

I just wanted to point out that the insignia guide and the congressional charter of BSA prohibits wearing uniform parts that imitate the military uniform so clearly wearing BDUs is out. From the guide:

"b.Imitation of United States Army, Navy, or Marine Corps uniforms is prohibited, in accordance with the provisions of the organization's Congressional Charter."

The problem is not price or fit for me. I've had three pair rip. Yeah, I exchanged them, but it gets old. Very old. The old official pants NEVER torn or worn out. They went for years and years. The material in the new pants is just not that durable.

I've given up on the official pants.