Female Leader Shirts Tucked In

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, I get it. I wear the "sucky" BSA socks, BSA pants/shorts, BSA uniform shirt with patches in the correct placement, and the BSA belt. As the Scoutmaster, I expect that the boys will look at me f

This should settle the matter.

Funny how the inspection sheets aren't scored pass/fail.

This was a hot topic in our Pack Leadership! Some of the mom leaders refused to tuck since it made their tummy more pronounced...so they in turn undermined us "tuck-in" leaders with the boys. We ended with a tuck-in/tuck-out schism that divided almost down gender lines in the cubbies. The tie breaker was the CM who liked the neat look of the properly uniformed boys.

Eventually we got some Marine Moms (wifes of active Marines)as leaders and they wouldn't tolerate any of it: "Its a uniform-wear it! If you look fat how is that OUR problem!"

I went from bad cop to good cop.

Way to go TT. Bring in a USMC "heavy" to use the F word (the really nasty three letter one) on those dissenters!

F.Y.I. - my young Venturing females have the same problem. I mean, they don't have "the problem", they just act like they do. It's a shame.

It's a volunteer organization. I'm going to wear the shirt the way that I feel is most flattering and comfortable while still presenting as neat and tidy. My body isn't perfect, but it is what it is thanks to childbearing. At least I have a legitimate reason for my gut, unlike the overweight male uniform police busting out their shirt buttons who I know have judged me for my untucked shirt tails.

Ah yes, another uniform police thread. Well TT, if those moms had said that to me, it would have been their problem when they had to find a new Cubmaster, den leader, event organizer, awards chair, webmistress, assistant treasurer and district roundtable commissioner. (Yes, I know I do too much and I am actively recruiting more adult volunteers) Thankfully, Scouts isn't a military organization and we aren't forced into unforgiving uniforming standards.

One issue with the women's shirts for a long torso, busty woman such as myself is that they do not stay tucked in. If I raise my arms above the shoulders, the shirt pops out of my waistband. The shirt just isn't long enough and it has nothing to do with my weight. Plus, tucked in shirts in general cause an uncomfortable blooming effect around my chest that makes me a bit self conscious about my top-heaviness. Yes it's my problem, but leaving my shirt untucked is my solution.

My eldest son is very into the uniform and wears it tucked in. My youngest, a first grader, actually bawls if I try to tuck in his shirt. He finds it uncomfortable. This kid doesn't like anything tight around his waist, at all. He won't wear belts or non-elastic pants, either. It isn't worth the battle, and personally if an untucked shirt allows him to enjoy and benefit from scouting, then I'm fine with it because the benefits far outweigh a couple of hyper-critical adults. The same goes for adult scouters. When the uniform police give as much of their time and resources to the youth as I do, then I'll consider caring about how they judge me.

this is how the military does it, with (I think) the only exception for women who are pregnant.

Not da USCG as someone recently pointed out, eh? Their new ODU is worn untucked, and da tucked in alternative will be phased out next year and become unauthorized.

Da new ASU for da Army also mandates untucked female blouses, I believe.

B(This message has been edited by Beavah)

In a volunteer organization, the ladies' personal wishes are more important that what the uniform guide says. They know best what works for them.

Just some background as a career military guy (AF)...ladies have two shirt choices with the blue service uniform--one that is designed to be untucked with no belt, another that is tucked in and worn with a blue belt/silver buckle.

The commander can dictate what type of shirt must be worn (uniform of the day). However, I rarely see this option exercised. If the uniform of the day is service dress, the ladies can pick which version of the blue shirt they want to wear 99 percent of the time. (If one shirt style is mandated, it's usually for a formation or ceremony.)

Maternity uniforms are all untucked.

Airman Battle Uniforms (replacing the BDUs) are untucked for male and female alike.

I'm just happy our female leaders are willing to wear the tan shirts which aren't really feminine, IMO, even the women's cut model. All of them wear them untucked. The men wear them tucked.

I gained an additional appreciation for differences when we placed a class B tshirt order. One mom said she would get a shirt but didn't like the unisex style. She offered to head up a women's cut order and guess what...a lot more of our moms have pack tshirts today...

The one thing I noted about the Wood Badge I recently staffed. Although we staffers were required to wear the uniform correctly.. And I remember when I took WB I had to go buy the pants, because I was told I had to have full uniform.. The uniform police where "thankfully" not out in force for the participants..

Oh, they all had the shirts, but.. the pants were optional, and their were women with their shirts untucked.. No one said "boo"..

Which you can say what you want about it, but the customer is always right.. So, I think it would have been in bad taste had we had uniform police dictating to the participants..

For my district trainings, it is alway, uniform if you have them, don't worry if you don't.. We have some committee members who never needed to buy a uniform, and even some parents who are curious enough to go to training, which may lead to them volunteering to their units in the future.. I am not going to require uniform for all..

Husband told me about 6 months back that they came out with a uniform shirt for women that did not need to be tucked in.. He just recently started seeing so many women opt to have the shirt un-tucked and assumed.. Well as you guessed when I inquired about it at the Scout Shop, I found that it was not the case, all shirts should be tucked in.. It was just a personal preference.