Old Cub Scout patch question

My parents recently dug out my old Cub Scout uniform shirt(mid to late 1970s vintage), so that my son could see proof that I used to be a cub just like him.

Looking it over, I saw a patch that I just can't figure out. It's a row of three white stars on a blue background, maybe an inch long and a third of an inch high. It was sewn on my left sleeve.

Does anyone have any idea what the patch might mean?

My parents mean well, but they really don't remember any kind of details like this.

thanks!

-Sean

I agree with AK Eagle...it was the old honor unit patch. First year it was fielded, it had no stars, second year had one star, etc. I think National stopped using that format after 3 stars, then switched to a patch that had words and year earned ('78 I think was the first). I've got 1, 2, 3 star patches on my old red patch vest.

The National Presidents Honor Unit Awards were used between 1974 and 1977. These unit awards were the first BSA attempt to standardize each unit's program. Units who meet adult and youth leadership, outdoor activities, BOYS' LIFE, service projects, program and membership goals pre-set with their Commissioner receive the flag streamer and an emblem. These items became PERMANENT parts of the field uniform and were worn below the Patrol medallion as shown here.

http://www.scoutinsignia.com/insignia/np-honor.jpg

The National Presidents Honor Unit Awards were used between 1974 and 1977. These items became PERMANENT parts of the field uniform and were worn below the Patrol medallion as shown here.

The problem with this first program was real apparent after the first year of the program. Did new Honor Units get the first patch (the blue patch without any stars) or did they receive the one with one star?? Did other units get to wear both the blank patch and the one with the single star, or do they just wear the one with the single star?? With very little guidance, this program became very hard to manage and in 1976 the National Office threw their hands up and told local Councils to "run it in the best way they chose to do so". Many local Councils started by then to develop their own unit recognition program based on these criteria and local Council programming criteria.

(Thanks to Mike Walton for having this info online - http://www.scoutinsignia.com/quality.htm )