scout neckerchiefs

shortridge,

Is 32 by 32 the traditional BSA dimensions? I thought I read somewhere that neckers from Europe, as well as other countries were larger, 40 by 40 maybe. This would definitely make them more useful.

Triangular bandages are commonly 37"x37"x52" or 40"x40"x56", so for a neckerchief to function as a triangular bandage, a larger size seems reasonable. As a scout in the 60's, my troop has a 32" square neckerchief which was adequate for bandaging scouts among other uses.

I found this link regarding Canadian neckers

http://scoutdocs.ca/Documents/Making_a_Necker.php

scroll to bottom and you will see their three "proper sizes" for neckers.

My hub. neckerchief from New Zealand is in the 36 area it is a triangle and works great for all of the Scout suggested uses. It is also of a more sturdy material. The small ones are quite frankly a waste of time and for looks only.

The dimensions of the full-square neckerchiefs varied. The older ones from the 1920's were smaller and not exactly square. In 1940's dimensions changed to 32x32 and a coarser fabric was used in their manufacture. By 1950 they were pretty much gone in favor of the triangular scarves.

I have tons of the old full-squares - of all colors. I have tried to preserve them from being lost. If anyone wants one - or a bunch - they are free for the asking.

Just send me a message.