Cub religious knot on Boy Scout Uniform

Is this acceptable? Cub Scouts always said the only award you can carry over to your Scout uniform, other than Arrow of Light, is a religious emblem knot. SPL & ASPL have told my 1st year scout on more than one occassion that the knot should not be one his Scout uniform because it wasn't earned as a Boy Scout.

What is the offical position on this?

They are correct.

But the religious knot earned in Cub Scouts can be worn on the Boy Scout uniform.

Technically it is not an award, which is why the leaders book say only the AOL is the only award you can carry over.

I had the same wituation with my son. SM and another adult told my son that his religous know would have to be taken off until he earned it as a Boy Scout. I wasn't sure, so the next time I was at a district level event I asked someone that I was sure would know. I was told that my son could leave it on his uniform.

Let's be clear here:

The Scouting knot recognizing an earned age-appropriate Religious Emblem IS A LIFETIME AWARD.

Now, I know some Troops, who, because they want their youth to earn the denomination-specific confirmation age award, ask youth not to wear their knot again until that award is earned.

Push come to shove, those Troops would find themselves being told, No, the Scout can wear the knot.

The right person to ask is the District Relationships Committee Chairman/woman or the District RED Team coordinator!

mdkeplers

I found a link on www.usscouts.org under wearing religious emblems.

If Rel. emblem is earned as a cub it maybe worn

on boy scout uniform, but you must also wear the

gold cub scout device on the knot (#5103C) or

if earned as a webelo (# 5103K)

Just type (wearing knots) in search block.

Print this out and send it to the next meeting with your boy.

P.S. stop by the scout shop and get him the pin First.

Let us what his S.P.L. has to say.

John-In-KC

I am pretty sure the Scoutmaster Hand book states that the only Cub

Scout award that can be worn on the Boy Scout uniform is the AOL award.

Where have you seen it called an award?

From what I remember it is not a BSA award, which is why the BSA does not include it as a award.

No trying to split hairs, just trying to make sure my understanding is correct, and trying to help others. If they read or hear that only the AOL can be brought over.

It took me about 2 months to get this story when my son crossed over a few! years back.

We tell our Cub Scouts that there are two awards they can carry over - the religious knot and the AoL.

Technically, there would seem to be more than that. The James E West knot should carry over. So would any of the heroism knots. And the interpreter strips should also, I believe.

And as far as not considering the religious knot a BSA award, that doesn't make any sense to me. The medal may be presented by the religious organization, but the knot is presented by the BSA. And it definitely seems like an award.

Oak Tree

Yes, I know it is confusing, which I why I keep asking questions.

I am going to try and look this up in the SM handbook this weekend. But something to think about not all Knots are awards, right?

dan and Woody01 are right. You can wear the youth religious knot earned as a Cub on your Boy Scout uniform.

When he earns his Boy Scout Religious Award, he wears both, a cub device and a Boy Scout device on the knot. Knot by it self designates one award, add devices for multiple awards (different levels/types). Much like the Scouters Training award.

About the AOL Knot, that is only worn by adults. Youth wear the badge below their rank.

Dan,

I'd say that all of the knots are awards. I'm looking at the 2003-2005 Insignia Guide, and it lists 31 knots. Of those, 26 have the word 'Award' in their name. The other five all appear to be awards, too - Honor Medal, Medal of Merit, Scouter's Key, Seabadge, and Religious emblem square knot. All of them have to be earned.

Captainron, we also use the knot by itself to represent one award. But you'd be allowed to wear one device on it if you want to. We normally present two devices to a boy when he earns his second award, but that's just because we normally don't present devices upon the first knot, more for our simplicity than anything else.

Oak Tree