Spoof Patches

I have recently seen several adults (including a couple District people) wearing spoof patches like a Klingon interpeter strip, another had an Over-Trained shoulder patch and still another had a white Vigil OA knot. Now for all of the Uniform Police (UP) out there, I have my own opinion about what it tells the other adults and boys but what say you?

When all is said and done, it is up to each individual how close they want to follow the insignia guide and have every part of their uniform in proper conformation. But true, we're not the military, and noone is going to get court-martialed.

I'm not a super-strict uniform guy, but I do think these types of patches take something away from the idea of uniform uniformity. My opinion is that if you are going to where the uniform, then you should try your best to wear it correctly. Spoof patches represent an intentional disregard of the BSA's uniforming guidelines. I suppose that those who choose to wear spoof patches are attempting to add some level of jocularity. That is their choice and is of no real consequence to me. I have known several people that thought it was really cute when they put a Potty Trained patch or Order of the Fork knot on. Invariably, after several months the novelty of it wears off and the patches disappear. I suspect that these people felt that after awhile, these silly patches just made them look kind of silly.

It should be fun, but not overdone. Years ago at Philmont we ordered Philmont patches for the trading post/commissary operation featuring a broken down truck where the Tooth of Time would normally be. You can still find some of these floating around. The bosses nearly had a cow at first and then realized how funny it was. Nothing was ever said about it after that.

"Wear Spoof patches if you wish, but don't be surprised if you are regarded as a spoof scouter as well"

Hmmm. You remind me of the 'scouter' I saw at NOAC a few years back in which every patch on his 'scout uniform' was a spoof or silly patch. CSP, unit number, office patch, 'trained' patch, knots, flap, patrol medallion, etc.

Eh, think they have a time and place. I remember one man who went to my church that had a shirt with a few spoof patches (Old Goat, Brooklynese, and Potty Trained) that he would break out for camporees and such. Also had another shirt he maintained with the proper insignia for more formal functions. Worked as a District Commissioner or something to that effect, if I recall...

There's a time and place for spoof patches. I think everyone would know when it's ok and when it's not. We have an "unTrainable" patch that makes an appearance once in awhile. People laugh and then it gets put away for another time.

If done in the right spirit of things, I think it's fine and actually can enhance the experience. As someone said, we're not the military. We're also not some secret religion where not wearing the insignia correctly each and every day is some sort of sacrilege.

It's supposed to be fun.

• 5 years later...

I had an "Agitator" patch that I wore in place of the "Trained" patch on one of my 4 Uniform shirts. I was at National Camping School in 2006, and some other students asked me about it. I said "It represents a trail of suffering and tears that led me here, seeking affirmation." On the last morning, our class met at 0600 for a mandatory meeting. It was an affirmation ceremony! Imagine my surprise! I moved the Agitator patch to my patch vest, which is really the best place for spoof patches.