Placement of World Conservation Award

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know the Insignia Guide says different but this is an award not a camp-o-ree patch. They should allow the Scout to wear it on the right position above the pocket (if there is no Jambo patch). For

Or they can just forgo a camp patch and wear it instead as something that stands out. I can recall seeing hundreds of boys with C&O Canal trail patches in my time, I was the only one I ever saw w

I thought it replaced the World Scouting Movement badge over the left pocket? No.

The World Conservation award:

The Boy Scouts' National Uniform and Insignia Committee decided when the badge was first made available that the Cub Scout and Boy Scout World Conservation Awards would be TEMPORARY EMBLEMS.

Temporary emblems are worn centered on the right pocket of either the Cub Scout and Boy Scout/Varsity Scout uniforms.

As a followup, the Cub Scout emblem is NOT TRANSFERABLE to the Boy Scout uniform; there are separate requirements to earn the Boy Scout version of the World Conservation Award.

When a WEBELOS Cub Scout or Cub Scout become a Boy Scout, the Cub Scout World Conservation Award comes off and the new Scout must now earn the appropriate merit badges and complete other requirements to earn the Boy Scout version of the World Conservation Award.

I think the Cub Scout WCA and the Boy Scout WCA, i.e. the "Panda" badge are slightly different. For Cub Scouts, the badge is ringed in purple. For Boy Scouts, the badge is ringed in tan. I even think there is a Venture version ringed in green.

Don't forget that temporary badges may also be worn on the back of a Boy Scout's merit badge sash too.

"I think the Cub Scout WCA and the Boy Scout WCA, i.e. the "Panda" badge are slightly different. For Cub Scouts, the badge is ringed in purple. For Boy Scouts, the badge is ringed in tan. I even think there is a Venture version ringed in green."

Sorry, but there is no Venture version.

There is, however, a Venturing version. It has a yellow background and green border.

"Don't forget that temporary badges may also be worn on the back of a Boy Scout's merit badge sash too. "

Boy Scout badges, but not Cub badges.

Also, if you have questions about were something goes on the uniform, get a copy of the "Insignia Guide". Any well stocked Scout Store will have one, or you can order it from National Supply.

• 2 months later...

I know the Insignia Guide says different but this is an award not a camp-o-ree patch. They should allow the Scout to wear it on the right position above the pocket (if there is no Jambo patch).

For the older boys, especially Venturers, this is a very difficult award and should be recognized as such.

Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

Or they can just forgo a camp patch and wear it instead as something that stands out. I can recall seeing hundreds of boys with C&O Canal trail patches in my time, I was the only one I ever saw wearing the World Conservation award (a bit surprising, really, since the only thing required for it that you don't do for Eagle already as it is is Soil and Water Conservation...).

• Upvote 1

The position above the right pocket is reserved for Jamboree patches -- I think it should stay that way.

The World Conservation Award is a temporary patch, and can be worn on the right pocket. If it means that much to the boy who earned it, he can sew it directly on the right pocket rather than wearing a patch holder dangling from the button.

But the Insignia Guide does not provide for the patch to worn above the right pocket.

John, forgive my lack of manners -- welcome to the Forums.

The Cub Scout Leader Book states very clearly that the WCA is a temporary patch and should be worn on the right pocket (page 12-6, 2005 edition). It repeats this on page 12-7 under "Temporary Insignia" and again on page 32-4.

Where a Cub chooses to wear the award is up to him, but the patch placement per official BSA literature is unambiguous.

• 3 years later...

AL Den,

If memory serves, BSA changed the location of the World Conservation Award to the temp insignia location in 1989, when they did away with the requirements to earn the World Crest. Prior to that time, You had to earn the WC, and I guess that the spot over the left pocket was the "internatonal award" spot.

But yes the WCA is temp insignia and worn on the right pocket.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

"Actually I'm wrong the WCA has always been a temp insignia since I was a youth. Just double checked my BSHB, the 1988 printing as mine was lost, and it states on page 53 that the WCA is a temp insignia."

True. The WCA has ALWAYS been worn on the right pocket.

However, in the late 90s I started to see some people wearing it in place of the World Crest (which I still see occasionally today). Most gave me some song and dance that their scoutmaster told them that's the new position per National. A lot of nonsense as National never approved it for that location.

I see a lot of scouts who wear the World Conservation award above the right pocket. I do like it there, but I doubt that will ever become official. Other than rank, that seems like an important enough of an award to have a permanent place. I think part of the reason there are scouts with it located above the right pocket is that the Badge Magic has an 'Official Placement of Insignia' sheet that shows the World Conservation award above the right pocket.

• Upvote 1