How to Wear a Campaign Hat?

Hello All,

I'm intending to buy a BSA Campaign Hat. As I size myself, I'm wondering, "What is the proper way to wear this thing?"

I note from looking at pictures on the web how Marine DIs wear it:

with the brim parallel to the deck. This has the back of the hat sitting fairly high up on the back of the head. The chinstrap is used behind the head to hold the hat down. It seems like this approach has the hat balancing pretty high up on the head. Given that it is so high up there, I'm thinking that the chinstrap (which, again, is behind the head) has to be pretty tight to keep the hat from falling off, especially if there is any appreciable wind. That sounds like a recipe for a headache, as I expect the front edge of the hat would dig into the brow while the back edge was digging into the scalp (and the "chin" strap is also digging into the scalp).

So the Marine model of wearing seems pretty impractical.

The old-time pics I've seen seem to show the hat more casually angled up, sitting much further back on the head.

What's the best way to wear these things?

Separately, is there any benefit to the "Made-to-Measure" versions?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,

Eric (first time poster)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you wear it anyway you feel comfortable as long as it's on your head. There are no BSA regulations about how to wear the hat.   I'm actually on my second campaign hat. When I bought my

The Insignia Guide offers no guidance on how to wear the campaign hat or any other hat for that matter.   However, I think that common sense would indicate that it is worn approximately parallel. t

Apologies for being 5 to 16 years late to this party, but I just wanted to add my 2¢. I own several BSA campaign hats, dated from the 40s on up. The oldest ones are quite floppy. Some have the fleur d

Posted Images

I'm interested to hear the replies to this, also. I have a campaign hat that was a present from a pack that I worked with, and man, it's like trying to put a square peg in a round hole!! I think I much prefer the felt "Indiana Jones" looking hat

YCVT

bd

I don't know that there is an official right or wrong answer, but I prefer to wear my hat flat and think it looks better that way.

You are correct that the hat sits higher on your head than what you are accustomed to with most other hats. It also takes some time for the hat to conform to the shape of your head. They are rather uncomfortable until then.

The strap across the back of your head is limited use in keeping the hat on. It helps a little, but not much. If you look at old photos of the doughboys or Rough Riders, they often wore the chin straps under their chins. I don't think the BSA chin straps are long enough to go under your chin, even if you wanted to.

Bottom line: no, they're not the most practical hats around. But I just think they look sharp.

I think you wear it anyway you feel comfortable as long as it's on your head. There are no BSA regulations about how to wear the hat.

I'm actually on my second campaign hat. When I bought my first one, I was a brand-new DE fresh out of college. I'd wear the campaign hat all over the place because as a Scout I thought they were cool and they didn't have a youth one then.

I didn't take care of the hat, though. I wore it in the rain, to school talks (the little kids loved it) to camp, and even driving the car while in uniform.

BP preferred to personalize his hat and it had real character. My first campaign hat got too much "character" for my taste, so I bought a new one.

For the new one, I also bought the press (two pieces of particle board put together with a U in the top that hold the hat and the shape of the brim remains flat, and a plastic cover to wear if I had to wear it in the rain.

Then, after serving on Wood Badge staff (old course) a couple three times, I decided that my favorite way to wear the hat is to keep it in the press in my closet or if it's raining heavily without much wind and I want to keep my glasses from getting wet -- but I'll wear it in the rain only with the cover on it.

Enjoy your hat.

DS

• Upvote 1

I don't wear my campaign hat "DI style" which tilts the back up and the front down. However, I don't wear it on the back of my head either. I wear it squarely on my head.

Being a hard hat, it doesn't fit well at first. There was a fellow who posted a thread on how to get one to fit. He got it wet and allowed it to from to his head and then reformed the crown.

I made the mistake of buying one the went on my head when new but as it aged and formed to my head, it wound up being too big.

I didn't know that "made to order" hats were available. That sounds like a good way to get a hat that fits well. I've read that back in the old days, Stetson made that style in a few different shapes to accomodate different heads.

I did come across an ad for a surplus store that has surplus Marine DI hats for $30. If I can find the ad again, I'll post the information.

• 2 weeks later...

The Insignia Guide offers no guidance on how to wear the campaign hat or any other hat for that matter.

However, I think that common sense would indicate that it is worn approximately parallel. to the ground. But that position may not be comfortable for the wearer and many may wear it slanted forward a bit.

Having worn one for quite some time in the military, I wear mine "Drill Sergeant" style (slanted slightly forward - although the regulation stated one inch about the eyebrow and parallel the the ground). It is more comfortable for me that way and in a wind, if the head strap is positioned properly and with the proper tension, it rides well in the wind.

I just took one of my old military campaign hats, replaced the Army hat insignia with the official BSA universal hat pin and the leather belt type hat band and it works well. The official BSA campaign hat is not - in my opinion - of very good quality, and is way expensive. I treat mine with UNSCENTED AquaNet hairspray (Scented would draw bees and other bugs) on the bottom and inside to stiffen it, and ScotchGuard on the outside to make it water repellant. Stiff as a board and looks good!

I kind of wish the campaign hat was the only official headgear for the BSA. They are kind of hard to take care of but I think they look good and are practical.

• Upvote 1

I do have one question relating to the Boy Scout Campaign hat. There is a leather hat band that goes with the hat (Not the strap that goes through the eyelets and then behind the head under the brim) that looks like a leather waist belt.

What is the proper wear position for that leather band/belt around the crown of the hat?

"I kind of wish the campaign hat was the only official headgear for the BSA. They are kind of hard to take care of but I think they look good and are practical."

I concur. At the least, I would like to see them become common headwear for youth again. I don't mind the Indiana Jones style either, but I think making any Scouting related hat uniform wear was a mistake. A hot pink baseball cap with "Sweet Summer Jamboration!!!" on the front in yellow letters is official uniform wear just because it has a fleur de lis in the corner. Please. The same goes for t-shirts. If you want to wear them, fine. But don't call them uniform unless everyone is wearing the same shirt. Caps are fine too, but I don't think we should consider them uniform hats or salute with them unless they are, well, uniform.

"I don't mind the Indiana Jones style either, but I think making any Scouting related hat uniform wear was a mistake."

I don't think that they are. Troops may adopt a troop hat but BSA uniform hats have been limited in number and are defined in various publications. At best, the pink cap is only a uniform cap during the event.

If someone was to give me one of them campaign hats, I would pin the side brim up so it looked like a comboy hat! and than when things where not going well I could turn 90 degrees and be the goofy guy! And I would still be in uniform!