Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the BSA sells campaigns hats by anything other than hat size but a quality hat will be sold by hat size and head shape, i.e. Regular, long oval and wide oval.

Comment

Gotta say that when this much discussion over, what - 10 years?, can occur regarding how to wear a hat, there is little wonder about the way discussions go about something that's actually important. Awesome....

Comment

I've found a few places that sell reproduction M1911 campaign hats (rather pricy though). Does anyone know if the early BSA campaign hats were the same as the military ones?

I think the soft campaign hats are much more functional than the stiff - need a hat press - campaign hats of today. I'm a scouter, not a DI.

Comment

• jblake47
          jblake47 commented
          Editing a comment
          All the hats were "stiff" when they were issued. A few weeks of sweat and rain pretty much knocks the stiffness out and the hat becomes "broken in". No soldier in the field has time to repress his hat into a nice flat brimmed original, nor are they running around with plastic diaper covers over the hat either. I'm thinking the average soldier has a lot more to worry about than whether or not the brim is nice and flat. Over time, the hat pretty much takes on a life of its own. Eventually when the hat wore out, it was simply replaced and they started the whole process all over again.

Stosh

• Eagle92
          Eagle92 commented
          Editing a comment
          Rick,

When I was awarded my Smokey Bear after completing BA22 way back in the day, It was brand spanking new and very stiff. 45 minutes after getting it was very well broken in because all of us got caught in the outer bands of a hurricane.

The early scouts did not have uniforms and they as chartered by Congress, allowed to wear US Army uniforms. Military clothing is designed to take a punishment from the elements. Eventually they began to drift apart in appearance, i.e. BSA buttons, etc, and eventually they dropped the Army uniform. Sea Scouts however, did not. The M1911 IS the BSA hat in that it was the US Army hat at the time the BSA formed.

Once the US Army dropped the campaign hat, they went to the garrison hat, so did BSA.

The Vietnam era ushered in the Army beret, BSA followed.

See any BSA troops wearing boonies?, camo pants?

But of course BSA wishes no one to think that BSA is a para-military organization, thus the terms uniform, salute, rank, scout, troop, patrol, QM, etc have all dropped from usage in today's BSA organization.

Stosh

Comment

• perdidochas
          perdidochas commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, all of those words are used weekly in our Troop.

• jblake47
          jblake47 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, it speaks to the hypocrisy of the process.

Stosh

Originally posted by jblake47 View Post
        . . .

But of course BSA wishes no one to think that BSA is a para-military organization, thus the terms uniform, salute, rank, scout, troop, patrol, QM, etc have all dropped from usage in today's BSA organization.

Stosh
        There is something I am missing as B.S.A. has not most dropped most of those terms.

A small sample of the continued general use by B.S.A. of "uniform," "salute," "rank," "troop," patrol," and "quartermaster."

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34283.pdf
        http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/uniforms-insignia.html
        "Demonstrate the Scout sign, salute, and handshake."

"
        Additionally, the newly adopted resolution replaces the full-hand Venturing sign and salute with the three-finger Boy Scout sign and salute."

"Venturing:
        Retire the Venturing Oath, Code, sign and salute
        • Adopt the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout sign, and Scout salute."

"Tenderfoot Rank Requirements"
        "Second Class Rank requirements"
        "First Class Rank Requirements"
        "Star Rank Requirements"
        "Life Rank requirements"
        "Eagle rank requirements"

"Troop" appears so many times in 2014 BSA literature that it's boring to make a list

Ditto for "patrol"

"
        Quartermaster

The quartermaster is the troop’s supply boss. He keeps an inventory of troop equipment
        and sees that the gear is in good condition. He works with patrol quartermasters as they
        check out equipment and return it, and at meetings of the patrol leaders’ council he
        reports on the status of equipment in need of replacement or repair. In carrying out his
        responsibilities, he may have the guidance of a member of the troop committee. "

And, of course, since we have become too dense to recognize a symbol, the patch still says "QUARTERMASTER." CAPSLOCK

"Etc" is proving more difficult. ^___^

I thought no one thought my troop was paramilitary because they saw us trying to march in last year's July 4th parade.

Comment

The "something you're missing" is the sarcasm aimed at the hypocrisy of the scouting of today.

The BSA tries really hard to avoid the image of the boys being a para-military organization, yet use terminology related to it on a routine basis.

Even the whole concept of the original scout program instituted by BP was designed around a military operation where a small patrol of self-sufficient scouts were to infiltrate enemy territory, live off the land and return back to report what they saw.

Today, those dynamics are pretty much absent in the program, but the terminology lingers on as if its a bad taste in their mouths. The marketing to correct this would be detrimental to the program.

Stosh

Comment

Working...
          X