Parent pins with leader uniform?

Does anyone wear their parent pins with their leader uniform?

I know they're not supposed to be included with the leader uniform, but a lot of leaders are parents, too....I want to wear my parent pins (ribbon) at the pack meeting, too! Just 'cause I'm a leader doesn't seem like a reason not to.

Just curious to hear others' opinions on this.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll find a parent's pin under the pocket flap of some Scouter's uniforms... They know it's there and their son knows it's there. The rest of the world might only see it in passing, but it's kept c

Wow, I have been wearing my parent "mom" pins on my uniform since the very beginning. I have mixed emotions now. If it is not part of the uniform I guess I will have to conform and not wear them. I am

Technically, parent pins are not supposed to be on the uniform per the Guide. That said, our parent/leaders wear them on and it looks okay. I don't call them out on it because I have more important

They don't belong on a uniform. The purpose of the parent pin is to wear it on your civilian clothes to let everyone know that you have a Scout. At the pack/troop meeting everyone already knows that you are the parent of a Scout. Kinda like wearing a DisneyWorld shirt while at Mouseland, everyone already knows that you are there so save it for home.

If you just gotta wear them, get an expedition hat and stick them on it.

• 3 weeks later...

"In these parts, parents of both sexes wear the parents pins their boy earns on their uniform. It may not be correct, but it does show that the parent is proud of the boy's accomplishment."

Why don't they really show their pride and wear the pin on their civilian clothers. Most everyone at the Scout meeting already knows what the son has accomplished.

The child knows that the parent has pride in his accomplishments when that parent wears the pins in a non-scouting environment. He'll see Dad going to work with an AOL pin on his suit. Mom heads off to the factory with a 1st class pin attached to her company ID badge.

I'm afraid that I'm going to sound like "Bob White" but when mom and dad wear the pins on their uniforms they send a message to the kid that rules don't apply to them.

I can see the reason for the guides, because a few bad apples can spoil the barrel. We had a person on our roundtable staff that actually wore the webelos colors and the pins her son earned, and told everyone it was right to do so. Our district obviously knew about it and didn't want to lose a worker bee by correcting her, I guess. The uniform was so junked up with pins, patches and other items, that it looked tacky. I always see alot parents wearing the parents pin necklaces and ribbons and in my opinion, don't seem to blend with the uniform very well. Perhaps National need to sell smaller pins or patches for the adults to wear on the uniform to represent their son's accomplishments.

Sheila

Hi Sheila:

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I too have seen some uniforms get way to much decoration on them. Some people just like to do that. It looks tacky, but does it really harm anyone?

I can understand the Safe Guide to Scouting rules, and follow them. They are there to keep the children safe. I look at the uniform guide as a source to help people who want to look proper to have a guide to know where to place items on the uniform.

If it were up to me [which it never will be 8)] I would just have the boys wear the uniform with no patches, and have all the awards put on a patch vest.

Keep on Scoutin' ora

Page 4 Special regulations (sounds a lot like a rule, doesn't it) ". . . members wear only the insignia that show their present status in the movement. Members should make every effort to keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered."

You'll find a parent's pin under the pocket flap of some Scouter's uniforms... They know it's there and their son knows it's there. The rest of the world might only see it in passing, but it's kept close to the heart as a reminder of the reason they're in the program

Sniffle

• Upvote 1

My wife wears her parent pins during Courts of Honor on a ribbon attached to her "activity" uniform (an off-white polo shirt with the troop logo). She is a committee member. Yes the other parents know she has a Boy Scout but do they know she has a Webelos Cub Scout or a Brownie Girl Scout?

I do not wear parents pins with my field uniform (or activity uniform) but see no problem with wearing them attached to something as temporary insignia on the right breast pocket. However, certain items such as service stars, medals, sashes, wood badge beads, etc. should not be worn on a regular basis but only for "special" (i.e. ceremonial) occasions.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Having been a District Commissioner, I took/ take, extra care to ensure that my uniform was /are, as it should be. (Apart from the one where my wife put one of the knots on upside down!!)

But,there are some leaders in some of our packs, that have taken to wearing the pins on a yellow ribbon. Where the idea came from; I have no idea.

But it was one of those things, that I thought it best to take plenty of no notice.

The same goes for Wood Badge beads with activity dress, unless of course it is by a staff member at a Wood Badge course, then it comes under the heading of setting a bad example.

By the way, I have never mastered the art of sewing any thing other then the odd patch on a uniform, my wife does a much neater job then I do. I now have to work on my communication skills.