Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Growing Troop - how to change the culture?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as you start with the kids, in this case, I think it starts with the ASM corp in your troop! Those leaders need to be on board. Particularly if you have lots of newer adult leaders/parent volunteers who have new scouts in the troop. Spend serious time on training in the Patrol method (and while you're at it, please, make sure that adults understand the BSa direction on advancement/achievement/ BORs).

Say over and over to adults "if a scout can do it, the adults shouldn't!" The boys need to get direction - "check with your patrol leader" and the patrol leaders/PLC/TLC need to hear "check with the SPL/ASPLs." The ASMs need to be mentors/coaches in the process.

We're here to make sure that everyone is safe, the kids get fed (even if late), stay dry and warm, and bottom line -- they need to be having fun (most of the time) or why do it?

You deserve many congrats for what you've achieved already -- I predict even more growth and a highly respected troop!

Comment

All good advice. We are in same boat after a year of backsliding. I think the boys will catch on quick. It is often harder to get the adults on board...

Comment

Working...
      X