Summer Camp Paint Ball Programs

For the past few weeks been working on infusing more dynamics into our Camp's paint ball program... per BSA rules

"Pointing any type of firearm or simulated firearm at any individual is unauthorized. Scout units may plan or participate in paintball, laser tag or similar events where participants shoot at targets that are neither living nor human representations...."

Therefore, following these rules, I'm considering three ranges to cycle participants through. Here's where I'm at...

Range 1 will be a static range. Will be used to cover the fundamentals along with some basic firing practice.

Range 2 will be based on an 18th century long hunt. An inverted U course with each leg being around 500 to 800 meters long. Targets will be a mix of steel plate animal silhouettes, and plastic round target. Will require scouts to use trail signs, and basic stalking techniques to move from target to target.

Range 3 will be a tactical range teaching mid 18th century forest warfare. Scouts will function as a militia unit on the frontier, and be presented with a problem that they'll have to solve and execute as a team.

Thoughts and suggestions will be welcomed

Considering Son #2 just called the paintball range to set up Son #1's bachelor party, I'd say this is long overdue.

This has the feel of the typical archery challenge courses. I'm sure following their guidelines (adjusting for the differences in range and accuracy) would serve you well.

Nonstationary targets (on pulleys or windmills) would add to the fun. (Although it sounds like range 3 may have those kinds of elements.)

AS a Shooting Sports Trainer, I would be good with everything except the animal targets... but even then I would probably not make a big deal of it. Your range will have to get approved by your shooting sports staff anyway if it's a Scout-used range. I would try to add some moving targets (on a rope or a spring).

AS a Shooting Sports Trainer' date=' I would be good with everything except the animal targets... but even then I would probably not make a big deal of it. Your range will have to get approved by your shooting sports staff anyway if it's a Scout-used range. I would try to add some moving targets (on a rope or a spring).[/quote']

In answer to your concerns, we've been using those types of targets on our Reservation's black powder ranges for over a decade or more with no objections being raised by any NCS Shooting Sports Inspector. Hopefully, those types of targets should continue as not a problem. However, if a NCS SSI has new and current marching orders from National we'll adjust to meet those standards as the safety of our Scouts is always on the front burner. Additionally, this is an out post activity of a physically demanding High Adventure program with specific age limits for participation.