Health form issues

I've dealt with a scouter who didn't want to give us a copy. then finally gave us a copy but refused to sign the hold harmless agreement.

then finally signed it but wasn't happy about it and complained.

I would suggest to that person that if they are that worried about it, they should discuss with summer camp if they can review the form with the nurse/dr/medic at camp and show it to them that it is complete and if there is any part they need to reference like meds. then ask that their form be sealed in a big manila envelope with their name and unit number in sharpie on the outside to be opened in case of medical emergency. maybe put their emergency contact phone # on the outside of the envelope just in case.

of course the unit leader for summer camp should also get a cursory review of the form to ensure there are no health issues they need to know about. If they don't like it, they can stay home.

I'm assuming it's a scouter. If it's a scout, all bets are off. The stuff is there for your own protection and to assist medics in emergency so give it to the unit leader or stay home. yes, I know that's a double standard but for some reason it seems ok to have a little more variation. I've known adults who are really afraid of it due to having their identity stolen before and there is enough info on a med form to be compromising--did you know people are finding that others are posing as them in order to steal their med ins coverage?

A fellow scouter of mine told me this... She feels the Medical Forms are a free pass to violate the Scout Oath. Dr. signature and all. I gave her lots of grief over it, but she insists she is an adult and her medical history is between her and her Dr. She conceded her insurance information, though couldn't understand why the BSA needed it, because she gave them an emergency contact and hospitals are required to provide emergency care. I tried to convince her otherwise, but to no avail.

First responders to a medical emergency at camp would be the camp medics. They can typically make it there faster than an ambulance from a hospital. And its always good if those guys know that you have a latex allergy or something else before they treat you if you are passed out or something. Asking little johnny if his mommy is allergic to something they want to give her isn't always the best way to find out.

First responders to a medical emergency at camp would be the camp medics. They can typically make it there faster than an ambulance from a hospital. And its always good if those guys know that you have a latex allergy or something else before they treat you if you are passed out or something. Asking little johnny if his mommy is allergic to something they want to give her isn't always the best way to find out.
I agree with you on the rather general stuff. I think she felt it was dangerous to give personal medical history to a religious organization that could use that information against her. You have to admit there are zealots within the BSA.

"Just curious......Is the parents scout neurotic and paranoid too????" More than a few are. Agree though; no medical, no attendance. It is their choice. The council and camp need to cta's.

"You have to admit there are zealots within the BSA"

You seriously think that somebody at a Camp is going to go through the Emergency Medical Records looking for somebody with a religion they don't like? Or that a first responder will deny care to somebody based on information within that person EMF? You cannot be serious.

We did escape camp scrutiny this year with medical forms that were not in the mandated bi-lingual format.

I kept waiting to for the challenge so that I could counter, "Your medical staff doesn't speak English?"

Maybe next year...

Can a person in a unit chartered by a religous organization look at the form and determine if certain legal medical procedures and legal medications do not conform to that religions principles and then use that information against them ? Yes.
As Scout Master I would never hand the medical forms to anyone at the CO for any reason.....I would never violate my leaders and parents trust in that manner.....Nor do I just flip thru them snooping. I have boys with health issues, I know the issues and the meds they take.

So explain to me what medical condition would a Church look for and kick a person out for??????

We did escape camp scrutiny this year with medical forms that were not in the mandated bi-lingual format.

I kept waiting to for the challenge so that I could counter, "Your medical staff doesn't speak English?"

Maybe next year...

Yeah we were hoping nobody would notice the "old" med forms. They say they are mandatory but was that mandatory jan 13 or jan 14? We have people who went to the dr in June of 13 and used the old form cause it came up when they did a google search (even though we sent them the link and told them what pages they had to complete).

I know that we don't like the new one aside from it being so LONG -- because details about allergies is stuck at the top of page 2. Since we have scouts with deadly peanut allergies, and others with allergies to bananas and strawberries and other common foods, we REALLY think allergies should be something easy to find on page 1 of the med form! Yes it's off to the side next to their name, but it doesn't fill in allergy there unless you fill it in on the Dr part C for allergies. It should pull the info from page 2 where it's complete, because for short term camps you don't need PartC at all.

We did get grief because the SM wife didn't enter the dates for all immunizations, instead she just attached a copy of their shot record. Camp wanted it on their form! I cause everyone else that did that, but figured SM family would have got it right. since they turned in theirs the day we left for camp, I didn't check it and just sent them on their way.

I've worked as Camp Staff, and peen to a number of camps around the Northwest; most places don't even read them. Check to see the boys names match the roster and that's it. If he's worried about HIPPA have him put it in the middle of the pile, it will come back in the middle of the pile and no one will have seen or read, (or remotely cared about) his information.