Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See that this tread goes back aways and glad I did not read it before going to the camp....Our troop also just returned from MMSR.... 06/22-06/27... and like the last post we had rain every night, some with hale...Now will admitt that I don't a ton of experience at scout camps... been to just 6 in the last 3 years. Yep 2 a year for the most part.... MMSR is a good solid camp. Good facilities, good food, good staff. Yep there were rough edges so for those of you thinking about this camp please consider it one of your top choices. It is good getting better and to get better needs the support of scouting program. And scouts really had a good time which is really important....!!!!!!!
    Will also make note here for those Troops in the Black Hills Area Council.... where is your support for this Scout Ranch? It is my understanding that through the summer of 2008 over 90% of the camp attendence is from out of council. It is also my understanding that the camp is staffed mostly by those from out of the council. (Support comes from within..... without it you will loose a good camp sooner or later.....)
    However, will give all that are considering the camp and for those attending some advice... The key to a good camp is good communications with the staff and the director, ACE. And it should be noted that communication starts on the day you sign up for the camp not the day you sign in....this is very important....your expectations of the camp can not be meet or exceeded unless those responsible for your satisfaction with the camp fully understand your expectations. So make sure your talking before you start complaining.
    Last item, Tiny used this phase, MMSR is a great tourist camp....hmmmmm I do agree... the scouts had a great experience at the camp with the program provided. In addition they had the opportunity to see the sights of America in the Black Hills which included a night blast at Crazy Horse, which only occurs 3 times a year. And if your are planning a pizza night with the boys on your day off seeing the sites would recommend PIZZA Works in Custer. Great Pizza and the owner is scouter friendly.... tell'em Dave sent you....
    http://www.custerpizzaworks.com/

Hope this post provides the positive feedback is was meant to provide...

Happy Camping!!!!!!

Comment

I've seen pictures that indicate the camp is being heavily affected by the pine beetle outbreak. Can anyone comment on how pine beetles are affecting the camp? We are consider going there during summer 2009. Thanks.

Comment

A lot of the Pine Beetle infections is on the National Forest side of the fence. Since the camp is privately owned, we are able to surgically remove the infected trees.

Comment

Hi,
          I'm currently using my mother's login to post this (with her permission!), so be forewarned.
          I worked at this camp in the 2008 summer, and absolutely loved it! Due to administrative issues and a tradgedy involving a staff member, council support waned over time, and is now coming back. I personally know of almost a dozen returning staff who are from the local area.
          For Venturing:
          Is there interest in high adventure/venture advancement programs at camps? I know that SeaBase, Philmont, and Northern Tier all have high adventure programs, but are people interested in places to earn electives/core requirements?

Comment

Anyone been to this camp since 2009? Any update on any of the issues raised earlier in this thread?

Comment

Our troop, from the Kansas City area, of 19 scouts and 11 leaders visited Medicine Mountain Scout Ranch in June/July 2011. We had a great time. We have been looking for a camp that doesn't rely on dining halls but rather provides the food for us to do patrol cooking. We had a great time. Merit badges were fun for all the different ranks-although the lake was very chilly! The staff was wonderful - our scouts really bonded with the staff. We enjoyed having Wednesday to play the tourist card and enjoy all the surrounding sites. Custer State Park, Crazy Horse and the Mammoth Dig Site all gave us discounted or free entry since we were in uniform (more $$ to spend on souvenirs). On Thursday, we were selected by the Park Service to perform the flag retirement at Mount Rushmore. We enjoyed it so much that my oldest son asked for an employment application before we left and is serving on staff there this summer 2012. This is a trip that none of us will ever forget. As a matter of fact, we talked so much about it that this spring we recruited 16 new scouts into our troop.

Comment

Working...
              X